Weights?

Options
Any tips on how I can get into weights? I want to tone up whilst exercising and losing weight but im clueless, don't know where to start and cant afford a gym but can afford to get some equipment for at home? My main areas are the tops of my legs, bingo wings and tummy which i guess kinda is just all over lol xxxx

Replies

• MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Depending how much you'd want to spend and how much space you have I would go and invest in a squat rack & a large mirror, I believe you can pick them up at Argos - the stand is about £60 and the bar with 100kg of weights is about £200 and/or maybe some dumbells?

....btw I have just joined a gym that only costs £10.99 per month (Pure Gym), they are budget gyms and they don't cost any more than £20.00 per month for any of their gyms and you will have the benefit of having instructors, or other members on hand if you need any help. They offer a free induction and you can get them to write you a program for about £15.00

There are budget gyms springing up all over the UK, i.e. Liftstyle Fitness, Pure Gym, The Gym Group etc....

Otherwise I would suggest to start with bodyweight exercises, start with push ups, triceps dips, squats etc.
  • billprice005
    billprice005 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Squat racks are nice. But if you are just starting, Id recomment kettlebells. Goblet Squats, Figure 8s, Good Mornings. I also agree gym memberships are really getting afforable.
  • winbig1982
    winbig1982 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes the gym is reasonable but the childcare costs for me to go will be too high :( ill be looking at paying £20 a week just for that xx
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've started building up a home gym, one piece at a time. I started with different weights of dumbells and a kettlebell. I've just started shopping around for a squat rack, hoping I can find a good used one. But my next purchase will be a weight bar. But use what you've got right now - your own body weight.