Dinner time stategies for a crazed mom

Options
Hello parents!

Dinner time can often be chaotic in my house. I work full time and after working, an hour in traffic, and two school pick ups I have to make a healthy dinner. It can be a challenge to keep the kids occupied (and fight free) while I cook, and during the week I find it hard giving them a safe job to do in the kitchen (3 and 5).
I need a few strategies to engage the kids while I cook, and keep me sane. It feels like we walk in the door and they want to eat 5 minutes ago. Dinner needs to be quick, easy, healthy, something everyone can eat, and did I say quick? I get home at 6 pm, kiddos need to have the bath done and be ready for bed at 8pm. Someplace in there 20-40 minutes of Kindergarten homework, yes I did say Kindergarten homework! After all that I need to clean up from dinner, get in a shower and fall onto my own pillow. Saying hello to Daddy would be nice, but it is not a must. :devil:

HELP! Am I the only one who feels like I can't do it all? I think I have the dirty house, the messy kids, and I am running fast to chase down any time for paying bills or going to the store for food. Living healthy also is taking time to plan and fit in workouts. How do you do it all?

Replies

• mamastuck
    Options
    Well I have 9 children and I run a sucessfull work at home buisness lmao! I also have a hardworking husband who out of the house on double shifts so my best recommendation is to join Fly lady shes a lifesaver. Do the leslie sansone walk away the lbs WITH your kids they have a ball and WII just dance lol Im in love and my kids are always trailing out of my rear. I have to admit we do massive stirfry type foods kids get rice mama doesnt. Seafood is quick. And try to take one sat and do once a month cooking where you make at least 8 casseroles and freeze em. Easy to whip out and toss in oven whip up a salad and voila work out while its cooking !
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There are a couple things: try the slow cooker (then it's ready literally the moment you walk in the door), breakfast for dinner (like pancakes, french toast, that sort of thing), simple meals like soup and sandwiches. Check your local library---there are plenty of good resources out there for moms like you who need to get a healthy meal on the table quickly.

There is also something called "The Big Cook" (it's a book) that you can try where you do all the meal prep ahead of time, freeze them and then heat them on the day you want to eat them.
  • brice02
    brice02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I cant do it all, my advice, enlist daddy's help. Another option might be to spend one day cooking meals for a week, place in freezer than warm up for dinner. Good luck!
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some answers for you. I completely understand. It seems to be the plight of all mothers. We need to do it all and be good at it.
    I can suggest using a crock pot for taco stew (milder) or chili at least once a week. My favorite days are the ones when I come home and dinner is made (b/c I made it the night before :wink: ).
    Hang in there!
  • Truhvn
    Truhvn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey I don't have much advice for you as of yet...I'm in the same boat! I have a 3 yr and a 10 yr old. My commute is less than yours but I always feel so rushed between homework, showers, and dinner. I know that planning a dinner calendar for the month definitely helps me...it's the ideas I have problems with! Pre cooking on the weekend and crock pots are great time savers, but it doesn't seem as fresh and fit as I'd like. It seems some nights I'm resorting to tv dinners (horrible I KNOW) or even contemplating fast food (healthy for me, kids meals for them...by no means healthy).

I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say! Good luck Jennplus2
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    I was there for a long time, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. The daycare I sent my kids to helped out by giving the class a late afternoon snack. If yours doesn't, try giving the kids healthy light snacks in the car on the way home.

There are several cookbooks out there that have delicious recipes you can make with 5 or less ingredients and in less than 20 minutes. Mine is by Southern LIving at Home, but I think Weight Watchers has one as well. Check the internet for quick and easy recipes.

Also, look for crock pot recipes. I just bought a new crockpot at Target and I can set the temperature for specific number of hours, it is great!

When I used to travel, I would make several dinners before I left and my husband only had to warm them. So if you are not to tired on Sunday you could make 3 or 4 dinners.

My favorite was passed down from my mother and that is, I DO NOT cook on Friday nights. We eat leftovers or order out. You deserve a day off too!

I guess other than that, it is winter time so soup is quick if you are just warming.

You're kids are at a hard age, I know this is not a log of help right now, but it does get easier as they age.

Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • gegardner
    Options
    I really helps me to cook a little extra on friday night and stash it in the freezer for a quick dinner. Mexican is one of my favorite dinners because it is so versitile and can be very healthy depending on how much cheese you use and if you pour boiling water over the cooked ground beef to get rid of some extra fat. You can throw an easy meal together with all the food groups, serve it over rice or a tortilla and everyone is happy!
    My 2 1/2 year old "helps" me cook by watching. I used to strap him in the high chair and let him play with playdough or something while I cooked. Maybe have something special they can do only while you're making dinner (a movie, or toys they only play with during that time). What helps me the most (when I do it) is to plan all the week's meals Sunday night. It really saves time to know what I'm making before 6:00pm and to know that I have all the ingredients on hand.
    My motto is to cook the same for everyone, so I can eat whatever I am serving them. Even a meat sandwich can be a great dinner for kiddies if you cut it into shapes or something.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    my kids are about the same age. They are really good at the table (which is in full view of kitchen) so they do alot of Playdoh, and coloring. They love just sitting with scissors (child proof of course) glue, paper, stickers. They don't really create anything, but they do it quietly.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This sounds like my schedule too. I work full time, have an hour commute, then home to cook, get homework, shower and bed by 9 (my daughter is a little older), not mention soccer practice! The quickest and easiest thing to cook usually goes the foreman grill. Chicken breasts with lemon pepper or marinated in italian seasoning, or thin beef (flap meat, I believe?) with any seasonings you like, chop it up and throw in a corn tortilla for a taco, or heat up a can of veggies for a side. On the weekends I might use my rice cooker to cook up some brown rice then just re-heat it to add as a side. (add a little water to rice before heating in the microwave to keep it moist). As for keeping the kids entertained, maybe let them snack on some baby carrots while you cook? or if you chop up the chicken for teriyaki, let them "paint" the teriyaki sauce on. My daughter still loves doing this and she's 10 ;)
  • tracy39
    Options
    I hear you when its crazy during dinner time. I have a 5 and 7 year old and hubby works nights. I try my BEST to plan for meals three out of the 5 days on sunday. I also make turkey burgers and use annie's mac and cheese. My kids love pizza on english muffins. I try to get them to do their own and that keeps them busy til I put it in the oven. I make chicken cordan bleu with low fat ham and shredded light mozzerella cheese. Sometimes I will brown ground turkey meat and use 1/2 of it for soft tacos . I can freeze the other half up to three days and use it for sloppy joes on whole buns.
    To keep my kids busy while cooking, I have them go on a scavanger hunt for three things. They have to do it for a certain amount of time( I use my kitchen timer) to find all the things. Sometimes, I have them cutting out ( child scissors) pictures out of magazines and making a collage. Then clean up time is a race. Hope this helps!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Ughh I remember those days for sure....

First my kids were always starving and prone to melt downs that time of day. So I always got home and handed them some baby carrots or a yogurt or something that was healthy (I mean really if they spoil their dinner on something healthy I was ok with that).

Then I did utilize a lot of pre cut veggies and when I was cooking on the weekend I would dice up raw meat that I could use later in the week for a stir fry or casserole.

When my weekends weren't crazy or when I felt especially energetic, I would make a double batch of what I was cooking and freeze it for one of those days when I just couldn't think of cooking. :)

Good luck! Hang in there!
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat until I made my schedule and I pretty much stick with it. I too drive over an hour, have to pick my granddaughter up from school and she too is in Kindergarden and has homework. Use to she would be crying wanting to eat on the way home and as soon as we got home she was ready to eat. She eats her lunch at 10:30 and I don't pick her up until 5:15!!!
    I use to grab Mcdonalds on the way home..not anymore :)
    I pack snacks in the car and when I pick her up I have about 20 min of driving to my house so she eats her snacks. When we get home enough time has passed her hunger is gone for the time being. She will sit at the table and do her homework while I finish up dinner from the crock pot. After dinner it is her job to clear the table as I do the dishes and once we are done it is play time.

Our life has gotten so much better just because she will eat her snack in the car on the way home AND my meals are planned out and pretty much done when we get home.

Good luck you just have to find what works for you!!!

Mary
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    personally, I skip the bath part :blushing:. My 3 yr old doesn't need one every day. Once he looks or smells dirty I stick him in the shower and enjoy 1/2 hour to myself! It's worth the water bill! He'd stay in there for an hour if I let him, but the hot water won't last that long! His bedtime routine is putting on "night pants" (as opposed to jeans) and going and getting into bed. Takes about 10 mins tops. I know so many moms that going to bed is an hour or more long project. Seems like a huge waste of precious time to me!

Also, don't be afraid of PBJ's or grilled cheese and some fruit for dinner. There's no rule that says you have to have a big home cooked dinner each night (and no rule that it has to be 100% from scratch to be healthy)! Do that and the frozen cassaroles or bake up a bunch of quiche and freeze it (it's not quite as good as when fresh, but still good!) Eggs or quesadillas are also great, tasty, healthy, and super easy. Grill up a bunch of chicken breasts on the weekend and store them in the fridge. Grab one and serve over spaghetti (10 min meal), or with a side of canned or even fresh veggies (5 min meal), or cut up and put with a scrambled egg and some sliced peppers over rice (10 min meal)... You can also throw a bake in the oven and do homework while it cooks. A granola bar or an apple will tide the kids over for an hour for dinner.
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    all I can say is HIGH5 mama! cuz i feel your pain. LOL I'm a mom of 4 kids ages 9, 7, 4, and 3...and it's BEYOND chaotic... I haven't yet tried to precook meals or nothing but I am thinking recently I'm gonna give it a try after I get all my groceries again cuz we are gettin down to the nittygritty again. But I understand the kids in the kitchen thing. They want to be in there but my kitchen is a the size of a walk in closet and I just can't function with them in there...even to watch is frustrating. Between tantrums, fights, and wutevr else they are doing at the moment I just do my best to make it happen. I make a lot of stews/soups. I keep an abundance of black beans, green beens, corn and diced tomatoes oh and rice oh yeh and chicken stock. I usually get ground beef or ground turkey and i like to make one pot dinners and if my soup that seems to be too thick or not quite soupy enough...I serve it over rice and steam broccoli or wutevr I have on hand...Definately cooks quickly.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    Taste of Home has a cooking magazine, Quick and Easy ( something like that), Racheal Ray has 30-min magazines and cookbooks. Plan a menu for a month, do all the meat cooking or casserole prep in one night, then you just have to prep sides and salad, when you get home. Planning a menu and grocery list, will also cut down on the amount of time you spend grocery shopping. I have my children set the table and put ice in cups, while I cook. They also help wash vegetables, put biscuits on the cookie sheets, and "Cook" with me. I let them use some of the same ingredients that I am using in that meal, with leftovers. So, say they had ramen noodles leftover from lunch, I let them create their own recipe, and no matter what, we always try it as an appatizer with dinner. They love it, and we've had some pretty good expermental snacks. My girls are now 9 and 5, and love to create. They've been "cooking" for 2 or 3 yrs, now. They're learning and I know what they are doing while I cook.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    look at Kraft.ca...i like those recipes, the meatballs with salsa is my favorite.
  • msemejuru
    Options
    Giving the kids carrot sticks, applesauce or gram crackers in the car buys me a little time when I get home. Just take them to work with you. A croc-pot meal or soup served with a hearty bread is quick. Making our own pizzas takes about 15 minutes prep included. Most sauces for pasta or meat taste better if they sit, so make them on the weekend. Having a menu for the week helps because you can look at tomorrow's dinner and decide what prep can be done the night before or in the morning. Chopping or putting all the dry or wet ingredients together in their containers is easy prep you can do in advance. While you eat dinner you can simmer sauces for the next night. I keep homemade seasoning for fish, chicken or corn dogs in labeled oatmeal canisters so I don't have to make them often, I just add seasoning for variation. Double up on some recipe basics and freeze for quick dinners later exp. lasagna sauce can be used for spaghetti or baked ziti another week. Bread chicken breast for chicken nuggets or strips one night but make extra to freeze for chicken Parmesan next week. Make meatballs for spaghetti tomorrow but make extra for BBQ meatballs, sweet and spicy or Swedish meatballs another week. When all else fails, breakfast for dinner is quick and easy. I can churn out pancakes and turkey bacon in 10 minutes!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have a 2 y.o. girl and 5 y.o. boy and our schedule is really similar to yours! I do plan all my meals on the weekend, with special consideration for nights that might be especially hectic (i.e. I have to work later, or the housekeepers are coming the next day). Here is this weeks menu to give you some ideas:

Monday: Pork chops with apple butter, rice, frozen veggies (20 minutes)
    Tuesday: Cheese ravioli casserole, garlic toast (casserole to be prepped tonight) (30 minutes)
    Wednesday: Meatloaf (cook in muffin cups - only takes about 20 minutes), leftover twice-baked potatoes, peas
    Thursday: Black bean soup in the slow cooker, corn tortillas, salad (0 minutes)
    Friday: Pizza night - probably will make BBQ chx pizza (30 minutes)

If the kids are starving, I will give them fruit or cheese to calm them down while I cook. This is also a great time for a DVD, though my daughter is completely not interested in this. I also enlist hubby and the kids to set the dishes and make drinks.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hello parents!

Dinner time can often be chaotic in my house. I work full time and after working, an hour in traffic, and two school pick ups I have to make a healthy dinner. It can be a challenge to keep the kids occupied (and fight free) while I cook, and during the week I find it hard giving them a safe job to do in the kitchen (3 and 5).
    I need a few strategies to engage the kids while I cook, and keep me sane. It feels like we walk in the door and they want to eat 5 minutes ago. Dinner needs to be quick, easy, healthy, something everyone can eat, and did I say quick? I get home at 6 pm, kiddos need to have the bath done and be ready for bed at 8pm. Someplace in there 20-40 minutes of Kindergarten homework, yes I did say Kindergarten homework! After all that I need to clean up from dinner, get in a shower and fall onto my own pillow. Saying hello to Daddy would be nice, but it is not a must. :devil:

HELP! Am I the only one who feels like I can't do it all? I think I have the dirty house, the messy kids, and I am running fast to chase down any time for paying bills or going to the store for food. Living healthy also is taking time to plan and fit in workouts. How do you do it all?

I'm in the same boat - my kids are 2 and 6, though. most evenings, I tend to go a little crazy and am so happy when my hubby gets home from work. on days when we seem to have it all together, what helps is usually, the night before, I've already planned out what i'm going to cook, and have remembered to move the meat to the fridge to thaw. i have a game plan in place. i give the kids a small/healthy snack and then when they're done, they must play together. the 6 yr hates this because he would rather play at his friend's house then play with his 2 yr old sister, but i try to always make it up to him later. if the kids cooperate, they will play peacefully in 2 yr old's room. or they color, or play playdough at the table.

quick dinners are best. or dinners that are quick to prep, and then throw in the oven. crockpot meals are even better!!!! or if you can prep as much as possible at night when they are in bed....

the same strategy never works 2 days in a row for my kids, though - mainly because of the 2 yr old.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    What's dad doing during this time? You can't do it all, so get dad to help.

My wife got home earlier than I did, miraculously she always had done homework and dinner by herself. I used to be in charge of math drills and spelling words (I always did spelling words during breakfast, math drills were after pajamas and before story. I used to bribe the kids with a quarter if they did them right).

I always did baths, pajamas, and story time while my wife was cleaning up after dinner (I listed pajamas as a separate task as anyone will understand after chasing a 3 year old boy around the house who doesn't want to put on his PJs). Mom would come in to say goodnight and it was my job to put them to bed (and keep them there).

While this was hard for me initially, I really grew to enjoy this time with my children and wouldn't give up those memories for the world.

I also stopped at the grocery store on my way home one day a week after work (still do).