SOME PRE-WORKOUT AND POST-WORKOUT SNACKS ??:)

Options
Good Morning people :flowerforyou:
i have started insanity for 5 days ;) but i dont know what to eat before and after workout =(
Can someone give me some SIMPLE suggestions ??=)
Thanks you all :heart:

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Before: banana, rice cakes.
    After: cheese stick, hard boiled egg, protein powder, yogurt.

Usually something carbs for energy, protein for recovery.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've discovered a service called NatureBox that provides a variety of good, healthy snacks.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do a carb-ish before and a protein after.
    I eat my snack about 30mins before I workout.

Before: Banana, fresh/frozen blueberries (at least a cup), dried fruit/nut combo

After: 100cal English muffin with 1T peanut butter (or 2T PB2), I loooove almond milk (30cal 1cup) with a serving of Syntrax whey latte cappuccino (SOOO GOOD! only 100cals and 24g protein), I also like beef jerky with some sliced cheese or something of that sort.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

Myth.

Something or nothing. Doesn't matter. I workout fasted. I stop eating around 8pm, workout at 4:30am and don't eat until noon. There are no rules. Do whatever you want.

Kinda OK Advice with the exception that right after working out your muscles are primed for nourishment. A good quick absorbing protein and some carbs to rush those proteins to the muscle is ideal.
    I, like Jerry always workout fasted. Your liver stores about 20-30 minutes of energy (glycogens), once they are gone body fat stands in and says...hey burn me. That's why Lifting 1st then cardio.
    Super Job on Insanity. It's a great program. Stay tough.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think it either doesn't matter or depends on what you're going to do. I usually work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I'm going to work with a trainer a couple of days a week, and asked him what I should eat beforehand, assuming he'd want me to eat something. He suggested just a 1/2 scoop of protein powder 30-120 before we meet. But I also told him that most days I workout before breakfast, and he didn't pipe up with an opinion.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any specific food you should or shouldn't eat before or after a workout. You'll find recommendations for everything, including fasting, on health and fitness websites. Some people can exercise on an empty stomach but I've tried and it doesn't work for me. I personally like to eat an ounce of lowfat cheese about 30 minutes prior. It's enough to keep away hunger pangs but not so much to slow me down. After a workout I eat whatever I feel like eating. LOL.
  • jhSherin
    jhSherin Posts: 19
    Options
    I do a carb-ish before and a protein after.
    I eat my snack about 30mins before I workout.

Before: Banana, fresh/frozen blueberries (at least a cup), dried fruit/nut combo

After: 100cal English muffin with 1T peanut butter (or 2T PB2), I loooove almond milk (30cal 1cup) with a serving of Syntrax whey latte cappuccino (SOOO GOOD! only 100cals and 24g protein), I also like beef jerky with some sliced cheese or something of that sort.
    Before the workout : three little spoons of peanut butter
    After the workout : i eat 200 g of natural yogurt ( no fat) with 2 little spoons of honey :) is this OK ??:)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I didn't say my ideas were factual science. She wanted ideas, I gave her some. What I listed is usually my go to. Maybe should have clarified better.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    There are lots of opnions on this and I have found after a long strength training session i (2 hrs) t is true you need protein and the concept of in 30 minutes or so is a good I found before I was sluggish the next day in particular and now that I drink the protein sahke as I leave ym I do't hit that sluggish time that night or next day I do feel better. Is it my body or truth doesn't matter it works so I go with it. I agree with idea of card before worout and light if morning exercise easy to digest blood flows to stomach to digest protein taes longer keeping blood going to stomach not limbs so less o2 to body if needed makes sense as I was told by an RD. I definately can't eat heavy things I will get sick
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am going to say it mostly depends on you and when you workout - if you work out first thing in the morning and aren't hungry when you get up, have some water and do your workout then eat breakfast when you are hungry - it will likely be shortly after your workout and I like protein in the morning so this would fit well for me personally but if you are working out after work before dinner you might need something pre workout - again it all depends on you and your workout schedule
  • jhSherin
    Options
    Before the workout : three little spoons of peanut butter
    After the workout : i eat 200 g of natural yogurt ( no fat) with 2 little spoons of honey :) is this OK ??:)
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Before, I usually eat a fruit (apple or banana), and something with protein, usually almonds or an egg. After, I eat something with protein, lately a hardboiled egg. Sometimes it's peanut butter, or nuts, whatever. If my blood sugar feels a little low I'll eat some honey.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Myth.

Something or nothing. Doesn't matter. I workout fasted. I stop eating around 8pm, workout at 4:30am and don't eat until noon. There are no rules. Do whatever you want.

Kinda OK Advice with the exception that right after working out your muscles are primed for nourishment. A good quick absorbing protein and some carbs to rush those proteins to the muscle is ideal.
    I, like Jerry always workout fasted. Your liver stores about 20-30 minutes of energy (glycogens), once they are gone body fat stands in and says...hey burn me. That's why Lifting 1st then cardio.
    Super Job on Insanity. It's a great program. Stay tough.
    That's still a myth.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

The answer is, eat what you normally eat during the day. There's no need for special pre or post workout meals, unless you're an elite athlete doing multiple glycogen depleting events per day.
  • jhSherin
    Options
    Does anyone have got another ideas ??:)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    i've heard people say you should eat carbs because for energy but I've also heard someone say carbs before a workout made them feel sluggish. I don't think it really matters. I don't necessarily eat right before a workout... if I'm hungry then yes, but if not then I don't. After a workout I just eat dinner.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout meal: Egg whites & Oatmeal, protein pancakes, my oatmeal caramel apple cakes

Post-Workout: Iso Protein shake with sweet potatoes, or bananas, or strawberries then I have my meal :)