Recovering from depression/anxiety and starting journey

Options
KateV888
KateV888 Posts: 20 Member
Brand new and looking for friends who might relate to any of this...

I went through a long period of bad depression and anxiety, and in the last year have finally mostly recovered. All that time I didn't care about my weight or my health at all, and now I'm just starting to want to be healthier and lose weight. I'm on four different Meds which have literally saved my life, but I've gained weight on them, and I'm afraid if I can't get my weight under control I'll have to get off them. I also really want to feel better physically, I have high blood pressure, and I know I'm at high risk to get sick at 278 lbs.

I'm also a smoker who wants to quit, but I'm afraid that will make it even harder to lose weight - so I haven't made a plan how to deal with that.

I'm focusing on habits a lot, because I think building habits that become automatic is the key to getting healthier. The habits that I'm working on building right now are:

Eating less and healthier
Exercising 3x a week for thirty minutes
Building a meditation routine
Building empathy and compassion.

I'm a total nerd and introvert, but I'm a good listener and Want to find people where we can support and help each other be healthy all around.

Replies

• moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Hi. Hope that you find some peace with your situation.

Been battling with depression and anxiety my whole life. Had a breakdown last year and made an attempt on my life due to various factors. On Fluoxetine now and.....well I'm still alive, I guess!

Those habits you are building are good!
  • TayNLansNGraysDad
    TayNLansNGraysDad Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was mentally & physically abused as a child, so I suffer from depression, currently Abilify & Lamictal for it, so I know where you two are coming from.

Request sent to both of you!

Best wishes to you!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Eating right & exercising is an important part of self-care—and exercise can help reduce depression and anxiety.

I use http://www.healthmonth.com to build healthy habits through gamification. As a fellow nerd, you might like it too.

Take before photos & measurements, and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • moxy28
    moxy28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If anyone needs someone to talk to I'm here. Had my first panic attack at 18. Been battling depression for about 5years. Good luck with your journeys! :)
  • circenyc
    circenyc Posts: 4
    Options
    I totally relate. I had a breakdown about a year and half ago, just after losing about 20lbs on WW, and while dealing with my depression and anxiety I've gained it all back and more. For me it is difficult, because my depression makes me lethargic, so then I don't want to prepare healthy meals and I eat whatever I can get my hands on easily. I decided today to come back and do this again, because I've done it before and I KNOW it is about LOGGING everything I eat, and trying to be more active, I just have to do it. And as you say, when you don't feel good about yourself physically, it's that much more difficult to deal with the mental stuff. I am starting small, just going to get myself back in the habit of logging my food daily. Plus, I've decided to "cheat" by buying ready made food from the store (salads and WW prepared meals) because even if the prepared food might not be the healthiest choice, it will help me control my portions and keep the log, and I know it will help me eat better until I can get out of this lethargic state.

Good luck, I'm starting this week too!
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    All my depressed and anxious peeps in the house!! :) Feel free to add me.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want i had a hart attack at 32 and stoped smoking at that time and working on weight now i suffer from depression also. And would be glade to help each outher
  • tamzinb10
    tamzinb10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from depression and anxiety.... taking fluoxitine once again and making progress!

Exercising and healthy eating has made a big difference to my mood.... Depression makes me feel lethargic, but working out makes me feel so so much better.

I know its a struggle, but your goals seem really great xx
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have come to the right place.

I myself have been on medication that has led to weight gain, and have switched to medication that is supposed to be "weight-neutral" but makes weight loss very slow. Sticking with healthy eating and an exercise routine will improve health slowly but surely over time.

I also used to smoke cigarettes, and have recently switched to an e-cigarette (vape pen) which isn't completely quitting, but a better alternative in my opinion and it has made it much easier to exercise and I also did not gain any weight while quitting with the cigarettes.

My advice is to stick with it. I started around last August and have lost around 17 pounds, so the weight loss has been slow but my fitness has greatly improved an I have kept the weight off. I hope to continue to lose and stick with my healthier lifestyle.

This website has plenty of support and advice and is a great tool though which to improve your health and lifestyle!
  • Barro627
    Barro627 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dear Friend,
    We are on the same journey and I would like to share four tools that have the ability to ensure our success:

1. A definable, written need to change.
    2. A fact based plan that we can believe in and work daily.
    3. A focus more powerful than any negativity we encounter.
    4. A heart felt vision that we see, feel and rehearse daily.

Watch the video- Eat Fast and Live Longer by Dr Michael Mosley.

No companies to join, no products to buy. Just incredible results
    based on wide-ranging scientific research.

I hope that you find this film as valuable as I have. It's a life changer...changed mine. I'm over 30lbs down, feeling great, with all vitals back to normal.

Looking forward to seeing you out on the trail,
    All the best,
    Barry
  • PrinnyMartel
    PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. Feel free to add me. :3
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety, am very overweight, and once smoked. I was able to quit smoking by taking Wellbutrin (not for everyone tho..) I'm on medication for my depression and finally seem to be able to lose weight instead of gain. (I was taking Zoloft, then Celexa.. couldn't lose a pound if I tried). Now I'm on Effexor and seem to have an easier time losing.

Just keep at it. It can be done! Good luck to you.
  • circenyc
    circenyc Posts: 4
    Options
    This is really wonderful. For me, my depression and weight issues are so tightly entwined. My PCP has dismissed my weight gain as normal due to depression. Even my psychiatrist offers me chocolate when I'm really upset. But when I can't fit into any of my clothes it makes it that much harder to get out of the house. I feel so positive to see all your comments, I think it is wonderful to discover a support network of people who understand it.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    wanting to wish you good luck with your journey, feel free to add me but i only offer those that also give support in return. all the very best
  • JoylynnAroundthebend
    JoylynnAroundthebend Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can so relate! I am trying to break the vicious cycle I have been on for 20 years. Only difference is, now I am 260 lbs and totally our of shape. Cannot walk around the block.

I have posted/logged on here from time to time, each time feeling motivated and empowered. Within a couple of days, all of that enthusiasm and energy is gone.

For the last week, there has been no Coke in my house. During the week, it is fine but on the weekends when I don't go anywhere it is very difficult. This coming week, my focus is on portion sizes. Will see how it goes.
  • mondvay
    mondvay Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want, I'm so with you! I've been struggling with agoraphobia and emetophobia for the longest time and anxiety has been a huge issue. And I recently quit smoking! :bigsmile: Best of luck to you.
  • Kaibrosky
    Kaibrosky Posts: 24
    Options
    I can relate to everything you are going through. If you would like to be friends on this journey I think we can motivate each other. I too am a smoker and trying all the same things as you.
  • craftycrush
    Options
    I am also new and suffer from depression "ptsd", and anxiety; I would love to join you on your journey I am just looking for friends to help keep me motivated.:smile::smile:
  • ThatLadyJ86
    ThatLadyJ86 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I'm new here also and I can definitely relate to the depression and emotional rollercoaster. I'm in the process of going through a divorce and with getting rid of the unhealthy marriage, I'm also trying to get rid of the unhealthy weight I've gained in the process. I'm a smoker and also a heavy drinker and I'm trying to quit both. I'm working on two weeks of no alcohol and I have one more cigarette left and when that's gone I'm not buying anymore. I'm here if you need any support because I need some also.... but my motivation right now is everything that I've been through. Anytime I begin feeling down or angry I take those feelings and let it all by working out!! Best of luck to you!!!
  • toad_allyinlove
    toad_allyinlove Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is venessa I too have finally got somewhat of a grip on my anxiety I have been struggling for years. I take prozac seems to help a lot with controlling my panic attacks. My top wreight was 276.5 I know weigh in at 238. Eating better and working out has been helping me alot with my anxiety. Feel free to add me.