How to not look like fattest person in gym?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it is what it is man. it sucks, but stick with it. keep going and soon enough you won't be the fattest person at the gym.

if you wear really baggy clothes you'll just end up looking even bigger.

invest in some compression underwear to help with the chaffing (and to prevent wedgies). buy sweat shirts and pants. soon enough you'll be swimming in them.

keep up the good work.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Put some music on your headphone

Grab your weights

and do your thing

No one is really looking at you anyway.. unless you have the weigh they want..

Then they are really just watching the weight so they can grab it when you're done.

You really aren't eh biggest person at your gym, that's your insecurity shining through.

You are miles ahead of the person still sitting on the couch, and only steps behind the perceived fittest person at the gym.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Be the most committed person in the gym because that's what really matters!

Good luck!
  • jjking54
    jjking54 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good stuff in this thread! :)

As for me, once I put the headphones on I'm the only one who matters.

The easiest way to look like the fattest person in the gym is make yourself FEEL like the fattest person in the gym. And chances are, if you were at the gym yesterday, or the day before, and you're back again today, you're smaller than you were previously, so you CAN'T be the fattest person in the gym.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Work hard enough so you are not the fattest person in the gym. When I started going I was a person of great size but I went anyway. I was one of the weaker men there too but I refused to let that deter me. What I found out though is that people were watching me and after a few months done of them asked if I had lost a bunch of weight. These people I thought were judging me turned out to be my greatest encouragers. When I see a person of size in the gym I see myself two years ago. You cannot get where you want to be without starting where you are today. Just do it. In the end folks will notice you but it will be for good reasons.
  • teenyjem
    teenyjem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm morbidly obese and went to the gym with no quarms. It was actually good, as i imagine many people lookin at me thinking 'good on her doing something', rather than walking past me eating thinking the exact opposite.
    no one even did look at me though, which i was a bit gutted about. i wanted attention, as i wanted to be 'that fat girl' that people remembered before, who got slim and healthy.

ive moved to a new area now, and am thinking of joining again when i find a good local one.

i was so nervous before i started, but no one even cared. it was perfectly fine.

in fact, i loved it and just went crazy - running and wobbling everywhere on the treadmill in front of fit guys. i didnt care. and i loved more than anything when i felt sweat running down my brow or back. i chose to wear grey a lot as it goes really dark when it gets wet and shows the workout even more to people.

"people have no right to judge you if you are on a treadmill, but every right to judge you if they walk past you and you are eating a mcdonalds", i tell myself. i binge(d) and ate too many carbs and calories and sugar on a regular basis. it has taken the past 10+ years of my life and i am back on the wagon and creating a new relationship with food and my body. 2014 is my year. make it yours too.

good luck.

tina
    x
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I started at close to 300lbs, was obese at greater than 40% BF. I felt out of place, without any confidence. But you should know that once you start reading on here and becoming more knowledgeable along with more gym time. You're going to realize that more than half the people in there don't have a clue what they're doing. They don't use proper form, they wander from station to station without any plan.

Equip your mind, strengthen your heart, and fuel your body.

You. Can. Do. This.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    1964974_747555315310543_1248076849_n.jpg
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The simple reality is... no one really cares.

This. When I go to the gym, I am focused on my workout. Probably the only time I focus on the other patrons is to avoid walking in to them or because they are using something I want to use and I am checking to see if it is free.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the fattest guy at my gym. And no cares are given. Once you get used to going, you get over the social anxiety of people "looking at you".
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options

That's amazing and wonderful!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I want a friend like this guy!!

I'm still one of the larger girls at my gym, and I'm not overweight anymore. I still get nervous about it, but really, it doesn't matter what strangers at the gym think of me. I'm there to workout.

Focus on your workout. Wear clothes that are comfortable and suitable for your workout purposes, and just ignore everyone else.
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The simple reality is... no one really cares.

They are focused on themselves, and if they are single or have a roving eye, on attractive members of the opposite sex.

They really could care less about everything else.

And if they ever did start to care, as has been said, 90% of the time they are thinking... "good for him/her for doing something about it."
    What they said!
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    After a few times you'll realize that this was all in your head... It's like any new place you go for the first time.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Id love to join to the gym,but it is holding me back- what would people think?
    So- Im glad someone posted this question.. Ill keep on eye on it :)

I'll tell you exactly what I think when I see someone who is very heavy/out of shape at the gym:

"Good on ya', keep at it! Hope to see you tomorrow too!"
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Id love to join to the gym,but it is holding me back- what would people think?
    So- Im glad someone posted this question.. Ill keep on eye on it :)

I'll tell you exactly what I think when I see someone who is very heavy/out of shape at the gym:

"Good on ya', keep at it! Hope to see you tomorrow too!"

^I agree with this.

I've been helped countless times in the gym (and with running), and I also try to do my best to pay it forward.

Was thinking this was a zombie thread but maybe just a repeat . . .
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    I've noticed there are two kinds of people at the gyms I've been too:
    1. People focused on their work outs.
    2. People focused on strutting around like male peacocks showing off their feathers.

1. doesn't care what anyone else looks like
    2. only bothers with other peacocks

Get in the gym and don't worry about being judged, do your thing, and it'll pay off.
  • b2kelly
    b2kelly Posts: 62
    Options
    Who cares what people think?
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dont let it bother you. you have already beat the hard part just by going into the gym