WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAU HELP!!!!!!!

Options
hello i'm a 28 yr old woman and I currently weigh 250 lbs im 5'5 tall. i've lost 13 lbs in 5 weeks by cutting my calorie intake down to 1550 and i work out 3-5 times a week. well i've been stuck at 250lbs for a few weeks and im wondering if im eating too few calories? side note im eating lean proteins whole grains and tons of veggies and some fruit and drink loads of water. I know im eating correctly. should i up the calorie intake to 1800. ive been researching and im just confusing myself someone please help!!!!!!!:cry:

Replies

• SouthGaPeach
    SouthGaPeach Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound ridiculous but try it - eat junk food for a day. eat whatever you want. if it goes over your calories by 200 or 300, so be it. Every time I plateau, I do this and I will immediately drop AT LEAST a pound and most of the time, more. often times, I will even begin to GAIN BACK for some strange reason at 1200 or 1400 calories but as soon as I have my "junk day", I will drop back off and make some progress. try it :) what can it hurt?
  • Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Really need to see your food diary to help. It sounds like you are doing everything right,
  • brittanymfarley
    brittanymfarley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Really need to see your food diary to help. It sounds like you are doing everything right,

I set it to public any help would be greatly appreciated. i upped my calories for today
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I somewhat agree with SouthernGaPeach. I have had that work for me. Maybe not by eating complete junk but by going over my calories and not working out for a day. I'm coming off a 2 month plateau. What has worked for me is going back to running. It just seems to melt the weight off me. Since I've been running again, I've lost almost 5 lbs since 2/12. If that doesn't work, try playing around with your calories and/or changing up your workouts. Your body can just get used to what you're doing and need a change. I've had several time periods where I've been stuck and have finally overcome those times by just doing things a little differently. You'll get there, just be patient. Remember, it's not a race (had to remind myself of that a lot the past 2 months!)
  • Grannyfan
    Grannyfan Posts: 11
    Options
    Dont get discouraged. It is quite common to plateau . It has happened to me many times,with many different diets... WW's Jenny Craig . and all the rest of them ! I have found that Fitness Pal will actually 'tell' us if your calorie intake is too low for your goals and you do seem to be eating correctly. . I know how these plateaus can get you down ! But I have a suggestion.
    Just over the coming week, if you fast for a day, or two - say on Tuesday and again on Friday , You choose the days most convenient, but not consecutive. That should help to kick start the metobolic rate again. By fasting I don't mean not eating at all. I mean still eating breakfast - something that will stay with you a few hours, and then a nice salad meal in the evening . I you can possibly go without snacks, and lunch so that you are running on empty for a few hours .. and have only about 500 calories on the fast days. That is what I mean. I have tried that and found it works for me. Drinking plenty of black tea and coffee and water during those fasting hours if a good idea too.
  • brittanymfarley
    Options
    Do you guys feel 1550 calories for my body weight and height is ok? i wasn't hungry eating it and ive tried to eat 1800 today and i feel too full all day. i've ate around 1550 give or take 50 calories for about 5 weeks now. so should I stay at 1550 calories for the most part and just jar my calorie intake once or twice to try and get my lbs moving?
  • brittanymfarley
    Options
    Dont get discouraged. It is quite common to plateau . It has happened to me many times,with many different diets... WW's Jenny Craig . and all the rest of them ! I have found that Fitness Pal will actually 'tell' us if your calorie intake is too low for your goals and you do seem to be eating correctly. . I know how these plateaus can get you down ! But I have a suggestion.
    Just over the coming week, if you fast for a day, or two - say on Tuesday and again on Friday , You choose the days most convenient, but not consecutive. That should help to kick start the metobolic rate again. By fasting I don't mean not eating at all. I mean still eating breakfast - something that will stay with you a few hours, and then a nice salad meal in the evening . I you can possibly go without snacks, and lunch so that you are running on empty for a few hours .. and have only about 500 calories on the fast days. That is what I mean. I have tried that and found it works for me. Drinking plenty of black tea and coffee and water during those fasting hours if a good idea too.

thank you so much i will try this starting tomorrow!!!
  • ND_Figgzie
    ND_Figgzie Posts: 1,480
    Options
    if you are not losing weight, you are not in a deficit.....period.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/comment-page-2/#comment-35848

If you’re not losing weight, there’s likely a thousand different possible aspects of your diet and workout you might consider as the culprit. And of those thousand, you’d be wasting your time and energy giving a crap about 999 of them.

Instead, the true culprit is calories and the fact that you’re either eating too many of them or not burning enough of them. Even if you think you are… you’re just not.

If you were, you’d be losing weight.

So before you start focusing on the hilarious garbage, meaningless nonsense, and countless myth-based excuses that most people tend to focus on as possible reasons for why they’re not losing weight, step back for a second and take a closer look at exactly how many calories you’re eating and exactly how many calories you’re burning.

100% of the time, that’s where your problem (and solution) will be found.