I was doing soooo good..until.

Options
Ugh, was doing so good with my diet and eating right and exercising.
and then i just had to go to dennys and ruin it. whyyyyy.
so frustrated with myself. i feel like i have to start from square one now.

i also felt really sick eating all that stuff after ive been eating clean. bleh.

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You haven't ruined anything. One salad won't make you skinny, one bad meal won't make you fat.
    Go for a walk, get back on the horse. Don't worry about it.
  • Linnybear1974
    Options
    ^^^this :)
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You haven't ruined anything. One salad won't make you skinny, one bad meal won't make you fat.

^This
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you always beat yourself up every time you eat something 'unclean' you're in for a hard time, and I know this because I used to think exactly like this as well.
    As the others say, just enjoy the food you had and move on. It's not so much a square one situation as a continuation of the good work with a well earned break in between. You'll be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm not on board with the rest of them. (according to your diary)

1. Restaurants and fast food can vary their calories significantly from what is stated. If you eat this stuff on a daily basis it's going to be hard to actually tell if you are on track or not.
    2. Myfitnesspal's database is terrible. Lots of food is wildly inaccurate. One of the foods in your diary has 100 carbs but only 100 calories...
    3. Develop a decent relationship with food. A "bad" meal doesn't mean the rest of the day is out the window.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    This:
    and this
    If you always beat yourself up every time you eat something 'unclean' you're in for a hard time, and I know this because I used to think exactly like this as well.
    As the others say, just enjoy the food you had and move on. It's not so much a square one situation as a continuation of the good work with a well earned break in between. You'll be fine
    You haven't ruined anything, and you don't have to start over again, because perfection isn't required. You just keep going, and keep progressing. If you don't like how eating that much made you feel, then bear that in mind next time. Don't beat yourself up about it, just get back to eating how you want to eat, eating the way that makes you feel good. Looking at food in black and white terms, seeing foods as good or bad, clean or dirty etc, seeing yourself as being "on a diet" or "off the wagon"... this is all a great way to continue a damaging relationship with food, and increase your chances of yo-yo dieting long into the future.

If you've been doing great with eating well and exercising, then you've been doing well. How can one day ruin that? Maybe try not to be so restrictive in terms of eating "clean" and you won't be so tempted to give into forbidden fruit and go overboard.
  • Warrior_Butterfly
    Options
    I don't understand.... You're annoyed at yourself for having a Denny's but the McDonalds you had on the 27th was ok??! If you feel that bad go to the gym and burn it off.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.

There's nothing wrong with restaurant food or fast food, just keep it in moderation, and fit it into your calorie goal.
  • skippysells
    skippysells Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Someone posted elsewhere on MFP "progress, not perfection". Good advise!!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options

i agree
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You had a minor setback. It happens. The important thing is that you don't run away with it. Get back on track at the next meal and do better tomorrow. Willpower ebbs and flows. Temptations abound. Don't beat yourself up when you err. Forgive yourself and forget about it. You've got this! Don't give up!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Your diary shows no logging at all, or logging 100% junk food. I am not sure what exactly you ruined. Start by being honest with yourself.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.... You're annoyed at yourself for having a Denny's but the McDonalds you had on the 27th was ok??! If you feel that bad go to the gym and burn it off.

:laugh: I had to go look for myself....I'm sure that was way more then Denny's.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    Your diary shows no logging at all, or logging 100% junk food. I am not sure what exactly you ruined. Start by being honest with yourself.

Yes, I do better when I'm totally honest with myself -- record every bite no matter how much I regret what I ate. It does help me make better decisions and keep progressing. If you want Denny's, eat a meal there, record every bite, and then make up for it with some exercise, and balance your food the rest of the day. It's lifelong habits of balance and good choices that you want to learn, not living up and down with guilt and binges.
  • jerryberry1988
    Options
    This is exactly how I feel! I started my diet on monday and Ive been doing so good and working so hard untill I went to Ruby Tuesdays yesterday and ate all that food. To top it off, today I ate some pizza and fried chicken. I dont want this to be a downward spiral so im determined to get back on track tomorrow. I just feel so awful though and I can shake the feeling! help.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options

I'm going to hang this up as a sign somewhere in my house. So simple, yet so smart.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    One bad day doesn't ruin a lifetime of good choices. Just aim for a healthy lifestyle, make the right choices most of the time, and when a bad day comes now and then it won't hurt anything.
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options

THIS :smile:
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Nooooo don't be frustrated! Use it as a "cheat" day and get back on that horse! :)
  • JennaHW
    JennaHW Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over one or two incident. Just get up and keep going as before. If you're finding it hard not to splurge, you might want to pick one day a week to treat yourself to something. I stick to my calorie intake on most days and then saturday night I might go get yogurt ice cream or something that I really like or the bakery for a piece of cake. This way I don't get the craving to over eat and I still have a incentive to exercise and enjoy my desert. So don't worry too much about it and keep going as before.