Help!

Options
Hey everyone, I feel like I'm having trouble finding food to eat. I'm wondering if you can check out my diary and see if I'm doing ok with food. I'm supposed to be eating ~1600 calories a day and most days I have a hard time getting to 1200. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what I'm eating/what I should be eating. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• deztopstylist
    deztopstylist Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sorry I cannot see your diary.
  • secretsofmanna
    secretsofmanna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need to make your diary public.

Until then, make sure you're eating whole grain/whole wheat carbs every day. I edited my nutrition chart so it also shows me how much protein and calcium I am getting. When in doubt of what to eat, check your chart to see where you're at regarding nutrients.

Also make sure you are logging everything you eat, including coffee (with milk/splenda can hit 35 calories per cup), spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg, butter/oil used in cooking, etc. And make sure the serving size you record is accurate. One serving of pasta, for example, is much smaller than we normally are accustomed to eating.
  • michaelar_ae
    michaelar_ae Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh crap, sorry, I thought I had it on public but it was set to friends only. I've changed it so that it is public now.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Drink a cup of whole milk, not 1%. Eat some fruit and vegetables - I don't see a lot....or any...

Add some good fats - avocado, 25 almonds instead of 15, cheese.... And drop the turkey "bacon" and eat real bacon.....
    How did you gain the weight if you can't eat 1200 cals? (Not snarky, really curious about that....)
  • secretsofmanna
    secretsofmanna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Okay, cool. So right off the bat, you can focus on improving protein. Beans and meat will help you there.

I also don't recall seeing very many veggies. That's hard for me too, so I drink V8 juice when I don't have time to incorporate veggies into a meal. One can is 70 calories and 1 serving of vegetables.
  • michaelar_ae
    Options
    Drink a cup of whole milk, not 1%. Eat some fruit and vegetables - I don't see a lot....or any...

Add some good fats - avocado, 25 almonds instead of 15, cheese.... And drop the turkey "bacon" and eat real bacon.....
    How did you gain the weight if you can't eat 1200 cals? (Not snarky, really curious about that....)

I usually buy coconut milk or whole milk. I was just at my moms earlier when I had the coffee and that was all she had. I do have a hard time with veggies though. I've been trying to eat mini cucumbers more and have been having red bell peppers. I find it harder to incorporate veggies on the weekend. During the week I try to pack my lunches which means I am able to plan out what exactly I need to put in i.e. more protein, veggies etc.

Haha I may have misspoken earlier. I don't have a problem with eating, it's the finding healthy things that I WANT to eat that is the hard part. Last year was really tough on me (separated from my sons father, dealing with assault charges against him, custody issues, etc) so I would binge eat, hence the massive weight gain. If you give me junk food I could eat 2000+ calories. Like I said, it's just finding healthy meals that I find "appetizing". I know they are out there, I'm just a terrible cook and also don't have much time between school, work, and my son.

Just curious, is the turkey bacon really that bad? I actually enjoy it more than regular bacon. Also, I thought real bacon and cheese have saturated fats? I thought those were the "no no's" of fats?
  • michaelar_ae
    Options
    Okay, cool. So right off the bat, you can focus on improving protein. Beans and meat will help you there.

I also don't recall seeing very many veggies. That's hard for me too, so I drink V8 juice when I don't have time to incorporate veggies into a meal. One can is 70 calories and 1 serving of vegetables.

Thanks! I have tried to get more protein in me. I have my macros set at 20/30/50 (carb/fat/protein), but I always end up around 40% carb and maybe 20% protein. I'll try eating more beans. I'll check out the V8 next time I'm out. Thanks again!