My peers aren't supportive of my fitness lifestyle?

Options
When we go out to eat and I order something healthy (like a chicken salad for example), some of them roll their eyes. One of them even called me anorexic which is idiotic because I am far from that. These are my peers who are supposed to be my friends. A few of them have made fun of my breast size because I'm smaller than them (they're overweight so ofc they're going to be bigger...). Just so rude! Do I just walk away from them because they're kind of bullying me? That would leave only a couple good female friends left. :/ I guess I am just ranting right now. What would you do? What should I do?

Replies

• DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Its their own insecurity projecting, jealousy perhaps? cartman.jpg
  • Racheal159
    Racheal159 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    They could be jealous of you wanting to have a healthy life style, but they don't have the determination to change. If you are not ready to lose their friendship maybe you could talk to them about how they make you feel and if they don't listen or take you seriously then it is probably time to let them go. Good friends would be supportive of you wanting to be healthy not try to make you feel bad.
  • scoutli
    scoutli Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, calling you anorexic and making fun of your breast size? With friends like these...who needs enemies? This SCREAMS insecurity and jealousy. Deflect their comments by by telling them how great healthy food and exercise makes you feel, how you love how your clothes fit. Then offer to help them make healthy food choices, and invite them to come on a run or hike or gym class with you sometime because it really is fun. (And tell them small boobs are a blessing for athletes. You only need one sports bra and have no back pain or restriction of movement.) I bet they stop harassing you, and might even make a healthy change for themselves.
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Rightly or wrongly i just slowly dropped people like that out of my life, i still feel sad about it and wonder what they're upto now and then. But i have lost weight and we'll on my way to getting on target by the end of this year i hope.

It's hard to make new friends in your 40s though but im a only child so blaming it all on that :)
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    My friends tease me too when I eat healthy foods (they order junk). It's just funny that healthier foods are viewed as being "weird". In my circle, it's expected to order fried and junky foods when going out so eating a salad is crazy. But I don't take it as my friends bullying me or being mean - they just genuinely find it strange and comical! And I think it makes them feel better about their bad food choices if they make fun of mine. I think they secretly wished they made better food choices.

Anyways, I don't think you should take it so personally. Tell them that you are trying to make healthier food choices and that you don't like them making fun of you. Ask them to please stop and if they don't and it bothers you that much -- don't hang out with them when food is involved. But most likely they think they are having fun with you. Let them know how you feel :)
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I don't see why they're your friends, but okay.

If it were me, I would be every inch as critical right back. When they make breast comments, I would tell them that when the farmer calls them in for milking, theirs will shrink a little too. I would ask if they were going to eat ALL THAT food all at once? Wow! Etc.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Either they are insecure and jealous or are terrible people.

People will treat you how you allow them to treat you. Tell them whats up and they can be respectful or you can find some better people to call friends.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Friend or not, saying your breasts are too small is hateful. Imagine what a man would do if another man said he had a small penis?
    I can think of an example of someone who tried to be my friend but also made hateful comments when I succeeded, and fortunately for me a real friend who was present at the time said she was happy for my success. So I could see the difference clearly.
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would walk away. People who would make fun of me are not my friends.