My trainer told me watermelon is 'the worst fruit' for me.

Options
I'm very sad. Very.

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    sounds wrong

what was the logic?
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    sugar, i assume. it made me so sad. i thought it was mostly water, and its pretty low cal, so im confused as ****.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    your trainer sounds like he/she should stick to training and not fruit recommending.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    your trainer sounds like he/she should stick to training and not fruit recommending.

^ this.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing and if you investigate (see this link: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2072/2) it gets an "A" rating. Eat and enjoy (imo). :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Your trainer was absent the day they taught "Don't say stupid things that show everyone how stupid you are" in trainer school.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The majority of trainers are pretty clueless regarding nutrition and just perpetuate silly myths. I just hope the training is better than the nutrition advice
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If he is not an RD (Registered Dietician) then he probably doesn't have a clue. Watermelon is good for you but like anything in this world too much can be bad for you. Moderation is key :)
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    If he is not an RD (Registered Dietician) then he probably doesn't have a clue. Watermelon is good for you but like anything in this world too much can be bad for you. Moderation is key :)

Thankfully, that moderation thing does not apply to things such as steak, single malt scotch, and redheads with tattoos. If it did, then what would be the point?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I'm very sad. Very.

Yes, it's very sad when you discover you've been paying money for advice from someone who is so ignorant that he doesn't have any idea that he's ignorant.
  • buffyangel2000
    buffyangel2000 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Watermelon has a lot of sugar in it, was told by my Registered Dietician. Can't eat it anymore as I'm diabetic.
  • smand2000
    smand2000 Posts: 88
    Options
    Keep the watermelon. Get a new trainer. Problem solved.

Unless you are a diabetic. Then talk to your doctor. But still get a new trainer.
  • MissBlunts420
    MissBlunts420 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm very sad. Very.

Yes, it's very sad when you discover you've been paying money for advice from someone who is so ignorant that he doesn't have any idea that he's ignorant.

^ this!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

Thankfully, that moderation thing does not apply to things such as steak, single malt scotch, and redheads with tattoos. If it did, then what would be the point?

"like" watermelon
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    he also worked my whole body out on day 3 as opposed to different groups on different days. i have no idea if that whole concept of muscle confusion is really key, so idk if hes doing me any good by that, but he sure does make it hurt.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    he also worked my whole body out on day 3 as opposed to different groups on different days. i have no idea if that whole concept of muscle confusion is really key, so idk if hes doing me any good by that, but he sure does make it hurt.

I think you might want to look for different trainers and talk to them, possibly just switch.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well, watermelon is high on the glycemic index. It's in the 70-80 range, versus something like an apple which is around 40. However, the glycemic load is still pretty reasonable because watermelon is relatively low in carbohydrates. That said, even glycemic load isn't the be-all and end-all of the blood sugar debate. Watermelon is about 90% water and very low in fiber. Meaning it's basically analogous to drinking sugar water (albeit with a good amount of vitamins A & C). I know that I could eat about 10 times as much watermelon as I could apples.

I think watermelon would make a decent post-workout food, to stimulate insulin and rehydrate yourself; outside of that context I'd pick a different fruit. To me it sounds like decent advice.

That's just my opinion; I'm not an expert by any definition.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Watermelon has a lot of sugar in it, was told by my Registered Dietician. Can't eat it anymore as I'm diabetic.

But you have a medical reason behind cutting back.

If the OP doesn't have some specific medical reason to cut sugar then there is no reason they can't eat it. Also, why the sugar content itself might seem a big much (10g for a serving) the glycemic level is actually very low (only a 3)...and only 46 calories for a 150g serving....and of that 150g serving, 141g of it is water.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well, watermelon is high on the glycemic index. It's in the 70-80 range, versus something like an apple which is around 40. However, the glycemic load is still pretty reasonable because watermelon is relatively low in carbohydrates. That said, even glycemic load isn't the be-all and end-all of the blood sugar debate. Watermelon is about 90% water and very low in fiber. Meaning it's basically analogous to drinking sugar water (albeit with a good amount of vitamins A & C). I know that I could eat about 10 times as much watermelon as I could apples.

I think watermelon would make a decent post-workout food, to stimulate insulin and rehydrate yourself; outside of that context I'd pick a different fruit. To me it sounds like decent advice.

That's just my opinion; I'm not an expert by any definition.

Not true, the glycemic level is actually only 3.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2072/2
  • kbgarback
    kbgarback Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is a superfruit and one of the best things you can eat! The fruit "is a heavyweight in the nutrient department. A standard serving (about 2 cups) has one-third of a day’s vitamins A and C, a nice shot of potassium, and a healthy dose of lycopene for only 85 fat-free, salt-free calories. And when they’re in season, watermelons are often locally grown, which means they may have a smaller carbon footprint than some other fruits."

I think you're safe with watermelon - tell your trainer to provide sources for the bad advice he's giving you.

http://www.nutritionaction.com/daily/what-to-eat/two-terrific-fruits/