Stomach pain from long distance running

Options
dorothytd
dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
Hello runners! Often I get stomach cramps within about an hour after running when I run more than 7 miles. I know the causes and really do try to stay hydrated with water/Gatorade. But I am not a thirsty runner and often fall short. And the stomach cramps stick around for a while. I've tried various remedies - lots of fluids, Pepto, etc. You know what seems to work every time, but is generally my last resort? Alcohol. Not in great quantities - 1/2 glass of wine usually stops the cramping. My theory is that it helps relax the muscles, perhaps? Any thoughts on, or experience with this? Other remedies? Just curious. Thanks!

Replies

• KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    How well are you hydrating all day! You shouldn't need a lot of water during a 7 mile run of you have properly hydrated the day before and the day of. Unless you are running in extreme heat, you should be able to go without water for at least 7 if not 10 miles.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I read somewhere (a running mag or website I think) its because blood flow is reduced to your digestive tract while you're running and the return to normal when you stop can cause cramping in some people. Apparently research is showing that regular use of probiotics can help with this. I'm giving it a try but am yet to be convinced as can't quite see the correlation.
  • dorothytd
    Options
    How well are you hydrating all day! You shouldn't need a lot of water during a 7 mile run of you have properly hydrated the day before and the day of. Unless you are running in extreme heat, you should be able to go without water for at least 7 if not 10 miles.

I am fairly good at it hydrating during the day. I could go without drinking at all through a half marathon - I don't get thirsty, I just have the cramping issue. So I do make sure I drink a little at intervals during the longer runs. I usually run fairly early, so that may play in to the pre-hydration issue. Interesting.
  • dorothytd
    Options
    I have the same issue. I read somewhere (a running mag or website I think) its because blood flow is reduced to your digestive tract while you're running and the return to normal when you stop can cause cramping in some people. Apparently research is showing that regular use of probiotics can help with this. I'm giving it a try but am yet to be convinced as can't quite see the correlation.

That is my understanding as well. If you think of it, let me know if they work!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    But I am not a thirsty runner and often fall short.

So... are you saying you don't properly hydrate? Contrary to the above person, I do need to hydrate during 7 miles. For a 7 mile run I absolutely carry my water belt with Gatorade in it. I used to get the same types of stomach pain and it went away when I started drinking a lot more in general, but also having Gatorade before, during and immediately after my run. Could be something else, but even when I thought I was hydrating, I really wasn't! As soon as I had a run with a stomach ache again, I knew I had fallen back into my bad habits of not hydrating enough.