Anyone giving up something for lent?

Options
Lent starts this Wednesday (5th March) and lasts 46 days. Is anyone planning on giving up something? I've been awful with sugar recently and was thinking a detox was needed so this might be a good time to do it. Risk though is that, in anticipation, I eat way too much before it starts then, once it's over or fails, I go on a massive sugar binge. Thoughts?

Replies

• Jaydec70
    Jaydec70 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This may not be entirely helpful - but there is this long ago obscure song this and New Year Resolutions always remind me of "Im giving up, giving up" Helps me both to not get obsessive with my focus and remember the most important part of anything is persistence. Hope this helps, It's what I always give up!
  • heikejacob4
    heikejacob4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I will probably give up something non-food related. Last year I gave up Netflix. :)
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Dinner and/or eating after 3:30pm. Good luck everyone!
  • gbutterfly
    gbutterfly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thinking of giving up flavored creamers and sugar in my coffee
  • MaggieTor3
    MaggieTor3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There are lots of meaningful things you can give up for Lent, if that's what you want to do. There are lots of other spiritual disciplines you can do, such as taking something on. You could keep a spiritual diary through Lent. One thing I've done that was very difficult (maybe the hardest thing I've ever done for Lent) was to discipline my reading. I gave up reading novels or mysteries and read only the Bible or other books about my faith. It was worth it!

Giving up eating certain food can be worthwhile. Don't give up eating something that you don't normally eat! That would be me giving up drinking pop, for instance. The last pop I drank was so long ago it might have been not just years but decades!

Another Lenten thing I did that was worthwhile was giving up meat a couple of days a week. I don't mean substituting fish or eggs for meat, but doing without it as long as you're getting enough protein without the meat. Instead of making your dinner plate with say a piece of chicken, a serving of potato or rice or noodles, and a serving of vegetable and salad, make your plate with just the potato or rice or noodles and the salad or vegetables. Leave that part of your plate empty where you'd normally put the meat. Then what makes it a really useful discipline is to take the money the meat or chicken or fish would normally cost you and put it in a container on the table where you eat. Then at the end of Lent, take that money to a food bank or a shelter.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think maybe in different countries and various Christian denominations Lent is observed in different fashions. In my church lent is 40 days, in remembrance of the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert. This year it does begin on March 5th (because that is Ash Wednesday) and always ends on Holy Saturday, the Saturday after Good Friday/before Easter Sunday (April 19th this year). For us Sundays/Sabbath days are not counted in the 40 days because in worship we celebrate the arisen Christ every week, even during Lent. Although individuals may we generally aren't called to give up meat etc. but together we do give up the alleluia's during worship.
  • michellecraciun
    Options
    Giving up meat and dairy! It feels great afterwards...
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I need a reason to get my sweet tooth back in check. I'm giving up sweets (ice cream, cake, cookies etc.) for lent, but I'm not doing it for religious reasons.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am going to try and give up adding extra salt to food. I will still use it to cook but not add extra. I will often add salt before I even taste food.
  • light_a_candle
    light_a_candle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am going to give up alcohol! I am not a huge drinker as is, but those calories can certainly add up without realizing it!

Good luck everyone :)
  • lindsayomalley
    lindsayomalley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give up desserts/sweets!
  • sarahcyr3
    sarahcyr3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am giving up wasteful spending (aka spending money on things I don't need) so that means I will stop with the snacking and alcohol and dinners out. I really need to succeed at this becuase I am poor as dirt and I want to be more in control of my spending and eating.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Can I give up my protein shake???? :drinker:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Isn't what you decide to give up supposed to be just between you and God?
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Swapping processed sugar for fruits :)
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options

For Catholics, outside of fasting and abstaining from red meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday and abstaining from red meat on Fridays, one technically doesn't really have to "give up" something during Lent, many don't even give things up but opt to do something extra instead. It's intended to be a penitential time but what to "give up" is not actually formally outlined. People can discuss it if they like though I suppose there's something to be said about not trumpeting it like a Pharisee if someone's doing it in order to look holy.

It's actually surprising to me how many people participate in it (Catholic or otherwise). This is the first year I've actually done something (given up or otherwise) in a long time. Most years I've actually been pretty crappy at it.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Actually in my family we tell each other and talk about it. But if you want to keep it between you and God go for it.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have a serious diet soda addiction. I was thinking about that. One year I gave up elevators...
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    thinking of giving up flavored creamers and sugar in my coffee

That is a really good one. That would be tough for me, but I like the idea! Maybe that is what I will do. I usually give up chocolate, and you would be surprised at how easy it really is. Flavored creamers would be tough. I am going to do it!
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am going to add a devotional practice, such as a daily meditation or asana practice.