Best mixed cardio/strength training program under 45 min?

Options
Hi all-

After a less than favorable visit to my physician back in November, I started watching my diet and getting some exercise on a daily basis. I've managed to drop about 15 lbs, but I've hit the wall now. Up until now, I haven't been aggressively tracking what I ate (started with myfitnesspal a few days ago, and realize I was massively underestimating my caloric intake). My exercise has also been very basic, 30 min of elliptical to keep my HR around 125 and two sets of pushups and situps.

With a goal of losing weight and increasing muscle mass a bit while I go along, does anyone have a recommendation as far as a good, 30-45 min (or so) daily exercise plan? There seem to be quite a few out there now (T25, P90x, etc.), and I'm not sure which are targeted for people in good shape looking to be better and which are aiming at the guy who only recently hoisted his giant rear off the couch.

I have adjustable dumbells, a weight bench, and a pullup bar. Failing a program, I'm going to just go back to doing sets of different body part exercises, but I'd really like to follow a program if only to ensure I'm doing the right combination of exercises.

Anyone in a similar situation that has a recommendation they'd like to share?

Replies

• roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion but I would go with whatever program/trainer you think you can stick with for long enough to give it chance to work.
    Whatever you do, they are all targeted at improving fitness and also making you look better, just modify to what you can do - for instance if the program has you doing 2 minutes of full push ups and you can't, do 2 minutes of modified ones etc. Hope this helps
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about P90X3, shorter workouts, just about 30 minutes. T25 is good and short, it doesn't use weights(well maybe in a couple of the workouts if you choose but not heavy lifting) its mostly body weight strength training like squats, lunges, push ups, burpees etc. I think ChaLean Extreme is great if you have dumbbells, the workouts are 30-40 min. I've heard great things about Jillian Michael's Body Revolution also. As far as are they geared for beginners or more advanced, I can just tell you from my experience, most programs can be done by anyone, you can just modify for your level of fitness.
  • IronmanNYC
    IronmanNYC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Look up Dr. Metzl's Iron Strength workout on Runners World website. Doesn't seem like much, but it's a good solid workout. Only needs some dumbbells.

I'd take at least a day in between. Those days you can do your regular workout, but I'd suggest adding in a few harder intervals instead of simply a steady state HR at 125.

And what roxylola said...whatever workout works for you.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't know that there is a "best" program, but I've been enjoying P90x3. You already have dumbells and a pull up bar, just need the DVDs and maybe a yoga mat.
  • JohnInBrooklyn
    JohnInBrooklyn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I should have pointed out - I'm looking for what people found the best for them, not trying to find the uber workout. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm not all that worried about efficiency either, if it's not perfect it's fine, what I'm doing right now was really just aimed at getting me more active in the beginning, and it accomplished that. I just need something to kick me up a bit until I hit the next barrier.

I have the P90x3 disks from a friend of mine who bought them and apparently only went so far as opening the package and losing the documentation (he's trying to find out which e-mail account he ordered under to get replacements). From a cursory look at the workout though, they seem to be pretty advanced. I should probably just give one a shot first though.
  • kikicooks
    Options
    Since you have the discs, I say give it a try. Don't let it discourage you if they are moving faster or using heavier weights. Just do what you can. I did the 1st half of Insanity but never moved like the people on the DVD. I was always a little slower and didn't complete every rep but I just pushed myself to do what I could do. I just read a review of P90X3 and it said this:

"Whether you are someone that has 200+ pounds to lose, or someone that just wants to drop those last 20 pounds, P90X3 was developed for you. Every workout includes a modifier that you can follow if you chose to do a less intense workout, and are starting from ground zero and ready to change your life. P90X3 is not a graduate program. It is a new program that anyone can use. One of the main reason I wrote the P90X3 Review was so people would clearly understand anyone can do it.
    P90X3 doesn’t just include a modifier, it includes a beginner, and intermediate, and an advanced workout with each and every workout you do in P90X3. So although there are 16 workouts to chose from, there are actually a lot more if you add the modifications into the mix"

I have Focus T25 and like it but have to follow the modifier sometimes or just stop for a few seconds to catch my breath. You just have to do your best and each time try to do a little more.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I love home exercise programs and I've done quite a few. I like to get them done quick too. Since you're a beginner, I would look at something like Jillian Michael's Body Revolution or ChaLEAN Extreme. There are modifications in ChaLEAN that keep the intensity up but are great if you just starting out or have a bad knee like I do. It's one of those programs that can be adjusted to work for everyone. That would really put your adjustable weights to good use. Chalene is also really encouraging. I have to modify a lot of the jumping in Body Revolution, but the workouts change every 2 weeks so that you get used to the easier exercises before moving onto harder ones. They're both 90 days and 1/2 an hour each. I would look up the commercials on youtube too get a better idea of them (as well as others). Both also have their own groups here on MFP (as do so many of the other workouts recommended), so maybe going onto these groups and getting some more insight into people who've done or are doing them might give you some more information. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I should have pointed out - I'm looking for what people found the best for them, not trying to find the uber workout. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm not all that worried about efficiency either, if it's not perfect it's fine, what I'm doing right now was really just aimed at getting me more active in the beginning, and it accomplished that. I just need something to kick me up a bit until I hit the next barrier.

I have the P90x3 disks from a friend of mine who bought them and apparently only went so far as opening the package and losing the documentation (he's trying to find out which e-mail account he ordered under to get replacements). From a cursory look at the workout though, they seem to be pretty advanced. I should probably just give one a shot first though.
    Well there you go, might as well give it a shot. Some of the moves are tough, but not all of them. Just go at your own pace, push pause if you need to. And you don't really need the documentation, you can find the schedules online as well as the nutrition plan. But if you use this site and know how to eat healthy you don't really need to follow their nutrition plan. There's also 2 different schedules you can follow; Classic, Lean, or Mass, depending on what your goals are.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    People seem conferred about what counts as cardiovascular exercise so allow me to clarify something : in order to get the health (bigger, more efficient heart, better oxygen absorbing, higher aerobic fitness, even calorie burn thigh metabolism) doing aerobic work (loner HR, lover resistance, longer duration), you need to have your HR around 140-150 for 12 to 20 hours a week. If you want to shorten the time you spend training (sint no body got him for that) then intervals are going to be your friend. But keep in mind... to counts as "cardio", you have to work pretty damn hard and really get your heart beating for short periods of time with good rest. If you want to see gains in fitness, tryout some TABATA & HlIT protocols. My favorite online/ at home series is "Fitness Blender" which offers a ton of free videos on youtube.
  • boxerdogsamy
    boxerdogsamy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've tried both T25 and Body Revolution and I prefer the BR. I found it's a better overall workout for only 30 minutes.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something that won't break the budget and has a wide variety, I would suggest checking out fitness blender, either their website or YouTube channel. I love all of their videos!
  • JohnInBrooklyn
    Options
    Thanks again everyone.. After reading through the posts, I think I'm going to give the P90x3 a shot. I'm a little concerned because I'm in NYC and I don't exactly have a lot of space (and while I have a chin-up bar, I'm going to have to keep a chair under me in case either the wall or the bar decide they've had enough of me!). If I haven't broken everything in my apartment by Day 3 I'll consider it a win.
  • JohnInBrooklyn
    Options
    OK, so an update on this one...

I'm on day 2 of P90x3. A few things I've noted thus far:

- I'm hurting in places I never knew existed.
    - I'm dangerous to those around me. Luckily, the family clears out when I work out and I don't have pets, because if I had a cat or dog they'd be in orbit at this point. Very small workout space and kicking up in the air = bad news for anyone within roundhouse striking distance.
    - I haven't been able to finish either day to 100% completion. I do most of the exercises, and towards the end I'm half going through the motions (last 3-4 min or so). I don't know if that will improve with time or that will hold back my results, but I'm going to plug through it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    checkout complexes and circuit style workouts like spartacus
  • kikicooks
    Options

- I haven't been able to finish either day to 100% completion. I do most of the exercises, and towards the end I'm half going through the motions (last 3-4 min or so). I don't know if that will improve with time or that will hold back my results, but I'm going to plug through it.

It will improve, just keep with it!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    P90X3 is a great program for anyone. They have a modifier in every workout. Start by following the modifier and work your way to the others. You can do it. I'm in the final phase of P90X3 and it's great.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    OK, so an update on this one...

I'm on day 2 of P90x3. A few things I've noted thus far:

- I'm hurting in places I never knew existed.
    - I'm dangerous to those around me. Luckily, the family clears out when I work out and I don't have pets, because if I had a cat or dog they'd be in orbit at this point. Very small workout space and kicking up in the air = bad news for anyone within roundhouse striking distance.

Stick with it, it will get better

I have a small at home space to work out in. My kitchen as it's my only solid floor and just the noise of me bouncing up and down on wood floor makes me feel like an elephant! I have dogs, they can work the door, so no chance of letting them out. They are pretty good apart from for any floor work when my springer feels the need to help me out by licking any available skin - so arms and face are fair game lol
  • Bobs123456
    Options
    My chiropractor got on me for a year to stop the weights and do p90x. He isnt a coach. Id go see him for back pain and he would tell me to do p90x. New job doesnt have a gym at the office so i started p90x3. Starting week 5. Very effective full body workout. Lots of core which I neglected and I feel it. Down 10 pounds. I also do bikram yoga 5 nights a week and I am watching my calories.

Done alot of yoy yp dieting. People started making comments about how I look when iesd just down 6 pounds. That usually isnt noticeable. I think its the core. Im down about 2 inches off my waist and im about the same waste that i have when i am about 7 pounds lighter.

You wont bulk with this. For guys looking for massive muscle gain in a short period of time get mark rippetoes starting strength. Its a book. Its 7 barbell exercises. That wont burn alot of calories. However it will add alot of muscle just dping 3 40 minute workouts a week. If you do this, that is all you do. Anything else and you add muscle as fast.

About t25. I think that is almost all cardio. I think people burn more calories doing that. I know a guy who thinks p90x is too easy. He lifts at the gym and does insanity at night. Heart surgery in your 20s will inspire you for stiff like that. T25 is probably more physically exhausting. I have heard of guys who did p90x and about puked from insanity.

For my needs p90x3 is very effective. I need strength and cardio. I ned to be forced to do core. I also like the stretching and range of motion exercises. Alot of people will like the full on cardio of t25 better.
  • tmcleod22553
    Options
    I can tell you that none of the "do it at home" programs have ever worked for me and I am not a gym rat that spends all of my free time in staring at my self in a mirror with weights in my hands. If you are one of those, please don't take offense, if it works for you have at it, but it doesn't work for everyone. I have spent a small fortune on fitness club memberships and personal trainers along with countless hours educating myself on what I should be doing. All for naught!

What I have found that works is low fat (15g/day) 1500 calorie diet coupled with that first exercise program that has actually given me results. Back in January, my wife and I started going to our local KokoFit club and she has dropped >20 pounds and I have dropped >30. Currently we do strength training and cardio 3 days a week and just cardio 3 more. Typical strength session is 30 minutes and each cardio session is 15 minutes. So on strength days we either do 45 or 60 minutes total and on cardio days we do either 15 or 30 minutes.

The strength sessions are done on their Smart Trainer and your sessions are tailored for your goals and current condition. Every 12th session is a strength test to reassess your program. You don't have to think about what you are doing, all exercises are displayed on the monitor on the machine and the system tracks your reps and helps you keep an appropriate pace to maximize benefit. They have pre-planned elliptical and treadmill programs on MP3 players that coach you during the workout and talk you through the workout so that the time flies by and it feels like you are done in no time at all.

Again, as with every other option that is out there, it isn't for everyone. But it is working for both my wife and myself. If you have a KokoFit club near you, why don't you stop by and talk to them and maybe try a trial membership.

Whatever you end up doing, best wishes and stick with it!