Sick of mustard!

Options
GunNut37086
GunNut37086 Posts: 37 Member
Yeah, yeah, I know the sodium in lunch meat is bad for me, but I sure do appreciate a good ol' sandwhich. As I try to think of food as fuel instead of entertainment, I like sandwhiches even more.

Healthy Life 35 calorie wheat bread and Carl Buddig oven roasted turkey breast are my new best friends. For 130 calories (I don't bother counting the mustard calories) it's a great solution when I need to eat something, but don't want to make a major production out it.

What I really miss is that delicious, calorie-laden, creamy, artery-clogging dollop of Kraft real mayonnaise. But, it has as many calories as the whole sandwhich and since I'm treating calories like money, I simply can't afford the mayo. I DESPISE the taste of the light and fat free mayo, but sadly, a turkey sandwhich just ain't "right" with mustard instead of mayo.

I am so sick of mustard that I want to scream! So obviously, something had to be done. I'm sure somebody already already thought of this, but I bought a container of plain nonfat yogurt. I put a couple of tablespoons into a small bowl, stir in some salt, black pepper, and lemon juice, and pretend it's mayo. So far, I'm believing it.

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Isn't Miracle Whip like 40 calories? That's what I have. But yogurt is even better- its got a good nutritional value!
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard. I HATE regular mustard, but this is the BOMB!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil. It doesn't taste any different on a sandwich and only has about 50 calories per tablespoon.
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You could probably put mayo on your sandwich, just not a dollup of it. Isn't Hellman's Mayo like 90 calories for 1 tablespoon? You could probably do half a tablespoon if you can afford the 45 calories instead. That'd be comparable to the calories in Miracle Whip.

I'm like you - I love to have a little mayo on my sandwich. I started a topic about this yesterday and there were a few people raving about the homemade mayo. I guess it tastes better and is supposed to be better for you.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You may want to try greek yogurt for your pretend mayo... I make my own by putting a bowlful of plain yogurt in a strainer lined with cheesecloth, sitting in an empty bowl overnight. The whey drains from the yogurt into the empty bowl and you're left with a thicker, creamier yogurt. I think it tastes a little less yogurty, too. You can also mash some avacodo and create an avacado spread (maybe mixed with the yogurt) - this adds some more flavor, and it's a healthy fat.

Also, have you tried a Dijonnaise product? It's a mustardy-mayonaisse-type spread. Hellmann's only has 5 calories per tsp... http://www.hellmanns.us/products/dijonnaise_mustard.aspx
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I have Kraft Mayo with olive oil. Soooo good and only 45 calories per tablespoon. I never use a whole tablespoon.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil. It doesn't taste any different on a sandwich and only has about 50 calories per tablespoon.

This stuff is good!
  • MardellD
    Options
    ironically enough if you add a titch of mustard powder and paprika to your homemade mayo's it will taste even more like the real thing. I do this with my home made vegan-mayo (base of tofu instead of yogurt)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    these are ALL so wonderful! I love the mayo ideas. i am NOT a mustard fan but I do enjoy honey mustard and dijon mustards. Yummy. Now I can make me sum yum faux mayo too!!! :drinker:
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Try fat free mayonnaise. I think it has around 20 calories. Not as good as the real thing but a nice substitute when mustard won't do.
  • stauffiger
    Options
    try franks red hot. its not really hot at all, just a nice bite with great flavor. i put it on everything from salads in place of dressing to sandwiches. also try smart balance light mayo with omega 3. only 50 cal and 4.5 fat per serving. great stuff.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Another vote for kraft mayo with olive oil. It's awesome and totally worth the 45 calories!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Why dont you try a pickle or something instead of a mayo or mayo substitute, like branston pickle or picaliliy?
    its always really tastey with meat.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    What about whipped cream cheese, avocado, or Laughing Cow cheese wedge instead of mustard?
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I love replacing my mayo with avocado. It's so yummy and creamy!
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try Hummus so much flavor and low in calories. everytime I get a veggie delight from subway I throw some sun dried tomato hummus on that bad boy its soooo good.
  • RHOyalT
    RHOyalT Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    A tbsp of Miracle Whip Lite has only 37 calories
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard. I HATE regular mustard, but this is the BOMB!

YES! Most tasty mustard ever :)
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    I think hummus is a great substitute too! It adds the creaminess and you can get it in so many good flavors like garlic, basil, horseraddish! It has about 60 cals for 2 tablespoons. And then some avocado too! except that can get high in calories (and money!) so I like to mash just a little piece up and spread it on the bread so it goes farther.
  • shawnalmil
    Options
    i like my sandwhiches plain. nothing but cheese on them. no mayo miricle whip mustard nothing