Love and Politics

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    oh hell no

I cannot be with someone who is an atheists or someone who is religious

and not with someone who is a conservative or into politics

Justin Trudeau is alright though I will say that...but politics & politicians are all iffy sh!ts when it comes down to it

anarchy is okay with me :smokin:
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Just do what I had to do with my coworker: Make a list of those things that you will not talk about with him. My list for my coworker includes: religion, politics, and vaccinations. Saves a lot of time arguing. If she brings one of those things up, I just say, "Come on, now, you know that is on the verboten list".
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Probably easier to do than differences in religion, but not by much. :\

Yeah, you've got a point. I don't know how couples with different religions make it work.

Agreed about religions.

Politics...I think it depends. Honestly I don't know how a super liberal person can stay happily married to an ultra-conservative person. But when it's a smaller number of issues that you disagree on, then I kinda "get it".

For example, my husband and I are both quite liberal for the most part. We have the same (or very similar) views on things like supporting gay marriage, staunchly pro-choice, a stricter separation of church & state, etc. But I am on the fence about gun control and leaning toward supporting legal gun ownership while he would prefer to see all guns banned. I think the death penalty has its place - he disagrees. We both feel that the American healthcare system is beyond screwed and would strongly support socialized medicine. But my views on government assistance for other things is a stricter (slightly more conservative) view that rules are too lax, subsidies too abundant, and some benefits (like huge grants and no-interest loans for secondary education, and EIC tax credits) need to be completely abolished. Meanwhile my husband feels those things are valid and needed. We can agree to disagree on the areas where we don't see things 100% the same and we share the same CORE values.
  • We do. It makes for good debates.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Depends on how far apart you are on your views. Throw raising kids into the mix might make for more trouble navigating the difference in beliefs.

My husband and I don't COMPLETELY agree on everything, BUT we usually aren't too far apart...and when we discuss differing opinions, one of usually does relent on more hardline beliefs.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    I ask this because my SO is a conservative republican, and I am more moderate. On most things, we agree, but there is a distinct difference between our beliefs on one issue.

It ended up being our first argument. LOL!
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    Yes.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Good sex can solve lots of problems...

I really like this solution. You just gave me a few ideas on how to curb the conversation next time. LOL!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I ask this because my SO is a conservative republican, and I am more moderate. On most things, we agree, but there is a distinct difference between our beliefs on one issue.

I wouldn't expect two people to completely agree on everything political unless they were in the "moronic" zone of the left or right.
  • UsedToBeHusky

I wouldn't expect two people to completely agree on everything political unless they were in the "moronic" zone of the left or right.

Yeah, we got past it for the most part. I was just curious what other people's opinions were.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    oh hell no

I cannot be with someone who is an atheists or someone who is religious

and not with someone who is a conservative or into politics

Justin Trudeau is alright though I will say that...but politics & politicians are all iffy sh!ts when it comes down to it

anarchy is okay with me :smokin:

:drinker: :smokin:

GrayLogo.png
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member

Eh, if it really is just 1 issue...then just don't ever bring the issue up...problem solved. My husband and I have been together 14 years, and we definitely have both evolved in our opinions. I think we've converged to meet more in the middle (we both started left of center though). Sometimes his gun opinions annoy me though.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    James Carville and Mary Matalin make it work.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    It worked for my grandparents, who were similar in so many ways - both hard-working educators, both musicians, both stellar people. My grandma would sweetly say on election day, "I just cancelled your grandpa's vote."

I think the key is respecting your partner's beliefs and accepting that you'll never change them.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Probably easier to do than differences in religion, but not by much. :\

Yeah, you've got a point. I don't know how couples with different religions make it work.

They have it easier in a way, because they both know they'll be single in the afterlife.
  • Good sex can solve lots of problems...

I don't know. The sex would have to pretty mind-blowing, imo. :wink:

I'm sure there are couples out there who can make it work, I just don't think I could...I'm too much of a political junkie.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Good sex can solve lots of problems...

I'm sure there are couples out there who can make it work, I just don't think I could...I'm too much of a political junkie.

Haha, if you have enough time to talk politics, you aren't laying enough pipe. :bigsmile:
  • Good sex can solve lots of problems...

Haha, if you have enough time to talk politics, you aren't laying enough pipe. :bigsmile:

LOL! True! :happy:
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    As long as he doesn't have that "I'm always right and you're always wrong" mindset, it could probably work. There's certain issues related to politics that are pretty important to me though, and if he felt differently about something majorly important to me, I'm not sure it'd work.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Dunno if I could make radical differences work in a relationship. I get kind of worked up over political stuff. (And not in that 'good' way)