Just Starting Out - Overwhelmed

Options

Replies

• CharzieGirl
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, because 1. I'm impatient and I want to see results NOW! and 2. quick results keep me motivated.

HOWEVER, if you do decide to weigh yourself everyday, be aware that some days, the scale might show that you've gained a couple of pounds. This could be due to a multitude of reasons: you've gained muscle, you're bloated because you're on your period, or you're bloated because you ate too much sodium and didn't drink enough water, etc. Unless you ate 7,000 calories in one day, there's no way you could have gained 2 lbs of fat overnight.

I stay aware of this, which is why I'm comfortable weighing myself everyday. Currently I'm 2 lbs heavier than I was a few days ago, due to water weight from eating too much sodium over the weekend. But I don't let this bother me.

If you think that weighing yourself everyday isn't going to bother you or drive you crazy for any reason, I would do it. It helps me see those results every day. Losing even half a pound is enough motivation to keep me going.

Also, look in the mirror and see if your stomach is getting flatter, etc. See how your jeans fit. Meet up with some people you haven't seen in a while, and perhaps they'll comment on your appearance. Those NSV's are also enough motivation to keep me going.

Good luck in your endeavors, I know you can do it!
  • brc912
    brc912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Take it one meal and workout at a time. Make the right choices each time you pick something up to eat, and you are sure to succeed! You CAN do it!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Don't try to add an exercise routine and fix your diet at the same time. Focus on one at first, and when you get comfortable with that, add the other. It is really easy to get frustrated and burnt out doing too much at once!

Pick an exercise routine that you enjoy. If you don't like it, you'll never stick with it. For example, I hate running and I hate cardio! So most of my exercise comes from yoga and weight lifting. I have a friend who hates lifting, so she mostly runs. People will say that X plan is more effective than Y plan, but when it comes down to it, the most effective plan is one that you will stick with!!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    You have lots of great advice here -- much of it was helpful for me to read -- but I have found that I have a tendency to be "all or nothing." If I blow a meal or don't exercise, I used to throw in the towel and tank the whole day. It's not about being perfect all of the time, it's about making better choices...period. If you screw up at lunch time, don't think "this day is shot" and go wild ... use the next meal as a new opportunity to make a good choice. But most importantly, don't give up ... just keep at it one meal or workout at a time!
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Find a new favorite workout. Make a committment to get ACTIVE every single day.

Don't give yourself time restraints. Ever. Just give yourself little benchmarks and a designated reward. For example, find a new jogging/tennis/golf/bowling outfit that you love, and commit to buying it in a smaller size than your current one after you've lost 10-15 lbs. Then commit to never outgrowing it.

I'm finally able to fit into a size 8 (I was a size 12 when I started) but just barely, and with a muffin top. But I'm committed to wearing a size 8 from now on and never reverting back to a size 10. When I finaly get to a size 6 in a few months, I'll make the same committment.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, so encouraged. Thank you Thank you!

My New Goals:
    -Get a food scale
    - Walk for 20-30 min 3x's
    - Make peace with giving up soda (even diet soda)
    - Tell myself, I can do this, because....I CAN do this.

So happy to have you all!

That's the best attitude you can have. You CAN do this!
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't know- specific number goals has never worked for me because it's easy to get disillusioned if it doesn't happen. I mean, set your goals but just remember, if you cut your calories, you will be losing weight eventually! It's better for your health and mental health if you change your habits one step at a time.

Set modest long-term goals and then even smaller incremental goals for yourself. I wanted to lose .75 lbs per week and eventually weigh in at 180lbs. Yes, sure, I REALLY wanted to weigh in at 150lbs, but 180 seemed far enough away for the time being when I was 241 lbs. I made it .75 instead of 1lb per week because the calorie count was drastically different between the two (like, the difference between being able to have the occasional treat and being sad all the time, for me, and I knew if I was sad all the time I'd cheat or give up). At 241lbs, I was allowed to eat a calorie amount you might even think is crazy, like 1980 calories per day or something. As I lost weight, it has gone down by increments, but I've had time to get used to smaller portion sizes and a smarter way of doing things.

In that vein, my goals were and are:
    1. Be honest about logging calories, EVEN IF I WENT OVER. Surprise, surprise- turns out it actually doesn't matter if you go over your calorie count once in a while as long as you keep to your overall goals. It's more important not to lie to yourself! I give myself one cheat day per week these days where I get to eat pizza, but be careful with those. If you're binge-eating everything you can't eat on your cheat day, stop doing it because that's how ED are born.
    2. Now I'm trying hard to stay within my recommended sugar/sodium/carb/fat intakes. Doing ok, but I love you, carbs!
    3. Be nice to myself! I didn't lost any weight for like a month, even though I was being good about everything. So what? Don't hate yourself. Your body is complicated. Sometimes I skip the gym because I'm sick or worked too much or my body hurts. It's ok! Forgive yourself. Listen to your body.

I also set equally modest exercise goals for myself. I went from basically sedentary to 1 workout per week of 45 minutes to 1 workout per week plus a long walk to 1 workout plus 2 long walks plus I run up every flight of stairs I see instead of taking the elevator. As your body adjusts to being more active, you will have more energy to do more with it.

Just don't overdo it, have fun and be safe.

And yes, for numbers: I lost 28 lbs since July. That seems impossibly slow, I know, but I've been in grad school the whole time AND working and I'm not worried I'm going to gain it back because I'm finally changing my lifestyle in a real way. And I'm still losing weight
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You're getting some great advice here.

I also work full time and have young kids - twin boys who are 4. Exercise is great, but keep in mind you don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight. It's great because it will make you more fit and gives you more calories to eat. I try to fit in exercise with my kids. We are members of the YMCA, so we go swimming in the pool. They also offer babysitting while you work out. But sometimes I'm so tired, I just put them into babysitting, and then sit and drink coffee and read the paper. :-) This past weekend, we went ice skating together. Or just go on a walk together, or go to a local park. Spring is coming!!

The ONE best piece of advice I can offer is to have a SYSTEM not a GOAL. You can read it here: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/230333 This is not just for weight loss, but any goal. Don't worry about whether your goal should be to lose 50 pounds or 10 pounds, or mini-goals or big goals. Just put in place a system that will lead to success.

I would suggest the first step is to commit to logging your food every day. Once you start seeing how many calories everything is, and commit to logging every bite you eat, you will naturally eat less. I set up MFP to lose just 1 pound a week because I didn't want to make myself miserable. It's been easy to stick to, and I eat pizza at least once a week and eat chocolate (small amount) every day.

Good luck to you!
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I hadn't bothered with the forums before today but was beginning to feel like a loser since I've been doing this since July 2013 and have only lost *almost* 30 lbs. Then again, I've been steady and haven't given up, and I'm feeling awesome. So I'm ok with myself after all.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that you're doing great! That's about the rate at which I have lost weight. Sometimes I feel a little down when I see that others have lost at 2x my rate but then I realize that the only thing that matters is that it's coming off period. So I just keep going. I don't know what your goal is but as long as you keep going you will get there!
    Thank you for this! I hadn't bothered with the forums before today but was beginning to feel like a loser since I've been doing this since July 2013 and have only lost *almost* 30 lbs. Then again, I've been steady and haven't given up, and I'm feeling awesome. So I'm ok with myself after all.
  • bonestm
    bonestm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, so encouraged. Thank you Thank you!

My New Goals:
    -Get a food scale
    - Walk for 20-30 min 3x's
    - Tell myself, I can do this, because....I CAN do this.

So happy to have you all!

That is an AWESOME start!! YOU GOT THIS!!

I am a DietCoke-Aholic so I can relate to #3
  • jaimeeknudson
    jaimeeknudson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have the same weight goal and 2 little under 5 :) so overwhelming to meet that goal, even a small one :(
    Right there with ya, sista!! :-) Good luck!!!!
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This is seriously the most supportive group of people I've met :) Feel free to add me, good luck. Don't feel overwhelmed!
  • _ItsMyTime
    Options
    I used MFP 3 years ago to lose over 35 pounds and I am looking to lose that and more again. I learned that the support I received from this page is what kept me going. Knowing that I could vent about my frustrations to people who have been there / done that made a HUGE difference.

Unless I am traveling for work, I will be on here every day. I will support you--cheer on your victories and give you an ear or shoulder when you are feeling down. Let's do this together. Let's meet our goals and be the best we can be.

I've sent you a request..... and anyone else can add me if they'd like! :flowerforyou:
  • gregs_gal
    gregs_gal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Some things that have helped me while losing weight:

Plan ahead. I don't have kids at home, but I do work full time. I find that if I do things like pack my snacks the night before, portion out leftovers so they're easy to take for lunch, or make overnight oatmeal that I can have for breakfast with little prep in the morning helps me immensely. Then I'm less likely to grab an unhealthy snack/lunch and the only thinking I have to really do regarding food is when I get home at night and have to make dinner. Additionally, find healthy and flavorful meals you and your family love. Eating these kinds of meals will be easier to maintain because it will feel less like a diet, which is definitely better since no one wants to be on a diet forever after. Plus you should be making changes to your lifestyle, not just for now while you're losing weight.

Don't entirely deprive yourself of the "unhealthy" things you love. If you want a glass of wine with dinner, have one occasionally. If you want a cookie or some ice cream, have a cookie or a serving of ice cream. Just don't go crazy and have a whole bottle of wine yourself or an entire batch of cookies or a whole tub of ice cream in one sitting. If you're like me, depriving yourself of these kinds of things entirely and making them "forbidden" only makes me want to eat them that much more.

Drink lots of water. I bought myself a 32 oz water bottle that I can see through and watch how much I've had to drink throughout the day. I used to be horrible at drinking enough water, so I made myself a goal to drink at least 1.5 - 2 bottles every day while I'm at work, knowing I'll drink more when I'm at the gym later and while I'm hanging out at home for the evening.

If you can afford it, get a gym membership (assuming you don't have one already). The only reason I say this is because I have an easier time going to the gym than telling myself I'll work out at home. The gym I go to is $10/month and I pay an additional $10 to attend as many of their classes as I want - a lot of gyms have the same or similar deals. Some gyms also offer either kid fitness classes or day care. If they offer kid fitness classes, perhaps you could take your kids to that while you work out - then your family is getting healthy with you!

I find that setting smaller, more attainable goals for weight loss is easier for me. Think of it this way - if your stepping stone goal is 5 lbs this month and after two weeks you've lost 2 pounds, you've reached 40% of your goal. If you're looking at your overal 70 lb goal, that 2 lbs is only 2.8%. I'm much more excited about the 40%.

Finally, celebrate the changes and progress you've made. When you lose a pound, be happy that you lost a pound! That took work and it brings you one step closer to your final goal.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I am 34, working mother to 4,happily married! Now stop the pressure you are putting on yourself! Eat right and exercise and the weight will come off and you will feel better! One day at a time!! Slow and steady wins the race! Good luck!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Don't try to add an exercise routine and fix your diet at the same time. Focus on one at first, and when you get comfortable with that, add the other. It is really easy to get frustrated and burnt out doing too much at once!

Pick an exercise routine that you enjoy. If you don't like it, you'll never stick with it. For example, I hate running and I hate cardio! So most of my exercise comes from yoga and weight lifting. I have a friend who hates lifting, so she mostly runs. People will say that X plan is more effective than Y plan, but when it comes down to it, the most effective plan is one that you will stick with!!

This is really good advice.

Also: Go back and read Trogalicious' post. There's a reason that he gets quoted over and over again.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options

You don't need to give up regular or diet soda. It's something that you may likely WANT to give up when you see that a 12oz can of regular soda is 140 calories and you can have a much more filling and healthy yogurt for that many caloires. And there's nothing wrong with diet soda if it helps you meet your calorie goals.

I'd suggest not focusing on what you "can't" or "shouldn't" eat. Just eat a moderate amound of healthy food and try to stay in a moderate calorie deficit.

P.S. If the wedding is at the end of April, that's about 7 weeks away. Even at 1 pound per week, that's 7 pounds and with the 5 you've already lost, that's 12. MAYBE you'll be able to lose more than a pound a week. Don't give yourself a deadline or timetable! Just keep at it slowly and surely, and that's how it will stay off.
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I share your pain!

1. You work full-time; so do I. Sedentary desk job.
    2. You have children to care for at home and find time at a premium; so do I - as a second-time around parent (caring for my granddaughter).
    3. You have a long-term goal of 50+ pounds; likewise, at the start of my journey, I was at 194 and have been told my ideal weight should be about 120 lbs, so my overall long-term goal is 74 pounds.

I'm at 167.4 now. But it has not been a steady loss. Rather, I've had to plan my weight loss journey in stages.

I lost about 25 lbs... in about 14 weeks. That was stage 1. My employer had brought in consultants to motivate some of the heavier employees (myself included) to being healthier (and less costly on the health insurance). I use the space between stages as a time for my body to get used to the new weight, for me to reinforce improved nutritional/exercise/lifestyle habits, and to plan the next weight loss stage.

One thing I learned is that rather than shooting for a definite goal of "X" pounds per week, plan for a percentage of your weight's weight loss. The experts that were brought in said that 1% a week is a good goal; Someone weighing, for example, 170 lbs should aim to lose about 1.7 lbs per week; someone weighing 280 should try for 2.8 pounds per week.

Log your food every day. But also be accurate in your logging; measure your food. Don't just eyeball it. A typical cereal bowl often can easily hold two or three of the stated serving sizes. If you have (or can afford) a decent food scale, get one and use it.

Exercise when/where you can; it doesn't have to be dedicated 30 minute chunks of time (although you'll get more bang for the buck by exercising and getting your metabolism up by doing 30+ minute chunks), if you can't snag 30 minutes at a shot, don't stress over it. Try getting up 15 minutes earlier than usual and using those 15 minutes in some form of muscle-building exercise at home (remember, muscle uses more calories than fat). You don't have to have a treadmill, elliptical, etc. at home. Instead, use those 15 minutes to do strength exercises. Got a couple of empty plastic milk jugs? Fill them with water to a comfortable weight, and use them to do various hand-weight exercises. Side benefit: as you get stronger, you don't need to go out and buy heavier hand weights; if you find having them full with water becomes too easy, switch to sand inside. Sneak exercise in when and where you can.... if you live in an area where snow keeps landing and usually have someone else shovel it, take that snowfall as a chance to do a workout with a purpose.

Make sure you are getting enough water AND also enough fiber. Both will help you fill up. A lot of people go by the 8 glasses per person per day guideline; others like the 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight rule. A 150-lb person would need 75 ounces of water; a 200-lb person would need 100 ounces of water. If you aren't a big vegetable eater, you can help supplement your fiber requirements by adding a tasteless soluble fiber product (example: Benefiber) to some of your food or water. Don't do a sudden increase; gradually increase it over a week or two until you're getting the recommended amount of fiber (1.4 grams per 1,000 calories eaten is a basic calculation).

Consider getting your Resting Metabolic Rate tested; many local YMCA's will do that for a relative pittance ($20 - $35). You'll know exactly how many calories your body requires to sustain itself if it was "at rest" 24x7, what your "maintenance" range of calories is, and what your "lose weight" range of calories is at. Don't assume that eating less is always better; if you drop too low, your body will start targeting to get its energy needs from muscle, rather than fat - and that's the opposite of what you want.

And speaking of the YMCA's - check to see if your local Y offers free child care while you work out. Many of them offer up to two hours of free childcare while you are in the building working out. That's a great time to get the cardio in, if you've been able to sneak in the strength training at home. If your local YMCA or other gym-of-choice doesn't offer childcare, it might still be worth it to get a babysitter (or friend/significant other/what have you) to watch your children for 90 minutes or so while you go to the gym, workout, shower and then come home.
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Take pictures! I was so hesitant to do it but when you have something to compare to, it is very, very motivating! Try not to be overwhelmed, one day at a time:)