Are calorie goals accurate, or am I "doin' it wrong"?

Options

Replies

• trellia13
    Options
    @ charlieheffer,

I forgot about yogurt, though I know I should stay away from the sugar-laden flavored ones. I've tried plain yogurt before, with fresh strawberries mashed with a fork mixed in and it was good! I'll have to add that to my shopping list. Thanks for your suggestions!
  • moonlitride
    Options
    First, yeah for you for working on it. Second, you need to get your blood sugar checked. 3rd generation diabetic with a diabetic husband also. What you are describing is some classic symptoms of low blood sugar. The problem could be.... that when your body is used to very high blood sugar, it will act like you are low when you are at healthy levels, just lower than what is "normal for you." My brother-in-law's blood sugar was 640 when he was diagnosed. Was in the hospital for something totally different when they found it. He felt fine at 640. He should have been sick as a dog. But as he brought it down, he would get sypmtoms of low blood sugar at 240. Even though you are not low until under 70. As you eat healthier and your body is not used to the lower numbers you can experience all kinds of stuff, from being grouchy and moody, light headed, sick at your stomach, jittery, sweaty. Lots of things. You should have your blood sugar checked, just to be safe.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Watch your sugar.

BOTH sugar and ARTIFICIAL sweeteners increase your appetite...
    Watch out for hidden sugars especially in anything prepackaged or processed.
    I have a sweet tooth so I try to avoid hidden sugars in "real foods" so I can have a snack

Sugar also prevents the absorption of certain nutrients like calcium.

If you get your nutrition FIRST and reduce your sugar it will reduce cravings and make it easier to stay in your calorie range.

One day I thought of it this way...
    Hunger is your body's way of saying it needs fuel.
    if you don't give your body the nutrition it needs.
    You can eat 3000+ calories a day and still be hungry.
    You can eat 3000+ and still go into "starvation mode"

Rather than focusing on what I shouldn't eat, I've been more successful focusing on what I should eat.

Here I my goals... haven't come close to hitting them consistently yet.

EVERYDAY:
    a green salad,
    a green veg,
    some other type of veg, (Yellow: carrots, sweet potatoes, White: eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes, Red: beets... etc.)
    some berries,
    a piece of fruit,
    a small handful of nuts and

TWICE A WEEK:
    A legume based meal
    A fish based meal

ONCE A WEEK:
    A mushroom based meal.

All nutrient dense options, which will reduce cravings...
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I like dried fruit when I want something sweet and chewy. It's much more dessert like because the sugars are so concentrated, but much better for you than processed junk. I know it's really challenging to try to change up everything about the way you eat at first so this might be a good stepping stone for you.
  • kerriedmonti
    Options
    Our bodies are amazing things. The brain gets use to the food we provide our bodies for fuel. Sugar, caffeine, bad carbs and other "junk" becomes addicting to the brain and body. As we start to eat right, we retrain out brains and body to use the good foods. What I believe you are experiencing is the withdraws from not having the "junk" foods. It's very common. Headaches, dizziness, crankiness.....these are all symptoms of our bodies craving the junk. The first week is the hardest, but as time goes by these symptoms fade. Best thing to do is probably not give in to the junk and grab something good for you such as veggies. Good luck to you.:wink:
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tried eating at a deficit while breastfeeding and my milk supply dropped. It was really bad since I was exclusively breastfeeding and my baby seemed to be allergic to all formula (turns out he has a milk protein allergy.) Anyway.. I gave up on eating at a deficit until I was done breastfeeding. Sorry that's kind of a downer....

But if I could do things over I would eat at maintenance and make sure I was eating enough protein and fats. I ate a ton of high carb foods and continued to gain weight until I stopped breastfeeding. It was just so hard to plan healthy meals being a new mom I was stressed!! I lived off of pop tarts and graham crackers. So, I guess if I could recommend something based on my limited experience it would be - moderate exercise, eat at maintenance or small deficit, watch your macros (including fiber), eat whole foods that fill you up.

Of course, easier said then done. Having a baby is hard!! I'm personally really enjoying the toddler phase- so much easier on me than the newborn phase!! Love getting 8 hours of sleep at night! It'll get better. Take care!
  • Balance05
    Balance05 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding makes me SO HUNGRY. Those that have not nursed a baby, just don't know. Those first couple of months after my daughter was born I was hungry all the time. But, she was growing healthfully. It was good. But I also agree with other comments on here. Choose healthy sugars, IMO no energy drinks/coffee if you're jittery, lean meats and whole grains. I asked a friend once what she does when she's nursing and STARVING all the time... she said that she eats an apple and a cheese stick. I tried it...it works. Just passing on from one nursing mom to another. Keep at it...we can only change one thing at a time, but over time we will get to where we want to be! Good luck!
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Watch your sugar.

BOTH sugar and ARTIFICIAL sweeteners increase your appetite...
    Watch out for hidden sugars especially in anything prepackaged or processed.
    I have a sweet tooth so I try to avoid hidden sugars in "real foods" so I can have a snack

Sugar also prevents the absorption of certain nutrients like calcium.

If you get your nutrition FIRST and reduce your sugar it will reduce cravings and make it easier to stay in your calorie range.

One day I thought of it this way...
    Hunger is your body's way of saying it needs fuel.
    if you don't give your body the nutrition it needs.
    You can eat 3000+ calories a day and still be hungry.
    You can eat 3000+ and still go into "starvation mode"

Rather than focusing on what I shouldn't eat, I've been more successful focusing on what I should eat.

Here I my goals... haven't come close to hitting them consistently yet.

EVERYDAY:
    a green salad,
    a green veg,
    some other type of veg, (Yellow: carrots, sweet potatoes, White: eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes, Red: beets... etc.)
    some berries,
    a piece of fruit,
    a small handful of nuts and

TWICE A WEEK:
    A legume based meal
    A fish based meal

ONCE A WEEK:
    A mushroom based meal.

All nutrient dense options, which will reduce cravings...

Awesome advice! Learning to cook healthy meals while having a newborn is extremely challenging. Be patient with yourself!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    All the above are some great ideas my youngest is almost 18 months and for the first 6 months I was always hungry especially because I did do the breast feeding and I actually ended up weighing more than right before I had my little guy that was my eye opening moment for my get fit and heathy journey. I did what you and most moms of newborns do, I grabbed the quick to eat bad foods the pop tarts, high calorie drinks, etc. I would concentrate on replacing these foods with better choices like fruits and veggies. And lean meats. Make prep acted sandwich baggies of cut up fruits and veggies. If someone asks how they can help ask them to help prep these for you. We forget that EBF is a full time job. Also if you have a stroller get out and take them for even a quick 5-10 minute walk several times a day, especially as the weather gets better. My kids love the walks and for my youngest it's how I also got him to calm down.

Remember you don't have to do everything at once, small steps over time turn into huge successes. Good luck to you.
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    No more smores pop-tarts and java monsters, hun. Ease up on the mountain dew. Too much sugar. Try fruit for sugar and energy.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I weigh somewhere around 155lb and was maintaining whilst EBF on 3000kcal. Now I'm trying out 2500kcal and I am definitely a little hungrier, but it is too soon to see results.

Personally I won't rush weight loss whilst breastfeeding, as I've had supply issues in the past and I've also read that toxins can be released into the milk when your fat cells break down.

From my reading, the 500kcal for EBF already incorporates its own deficit, ie, by adding 500kcal to maintenance you should still lose. That won't work for everyone, but it might be a good starting point. By all means, eat 'healthier' too, by cutting down the sugars and caffeine, but eating more calories may also be part of the answer.
  • trellia13
    Options
    Yes, I'm definitely keeping an eye on my milk production - I express some every other day just to get an idea of how much I'm making and so far so good. My little girl is healthy and alert, and I always feed her 'till she seems satisfied. That's also why I'm a little more inclined to give in to cravings than I would be if I were just doing this without her - I figure a severe system shock is very bad for her food supply, so I'm ok with changing my habits gradually. I don't see what I'm doing as a "diet" so much as a permanent self-improvement :)
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm definitely keeping an eye on my milk production - I express some every other day just to get an idea of how much I'm making and so far so good. My little girl is healthy and alert, and I always feed her 'till she seems satisfied. That's also why I'm a little more inclined to give in to cravings than I would be if I were just doing this without her - I figure a severe system shock is very bad for her food supply, so I'm ok with changing my habits gradually. I don't see what I'm doing as a "diet" so much as a permanent self-improvement :)

The amount you can express should not be taken as a confirmation on how much you are making. Sounds like you are doing well anyway but remember some mums have fantastic supplys but dont respond to a pump. Watch your baby not the pump :)
  • trellia13
    Options
    Well I did some research, got myself a blood glucose test kit and did some experimenting, and it would appear that my blood sugar is quite normal. My readings were as follows:

Woke up
    Fasting BG - 81mg/dL
    Ate breakfast (egg, oatmeal w/blueberry syrup, orange juice)
    1 hour BG - 103 mg/dL
    2 hour BG - 85 mg/dL
    3 hour BG - 78 mg/dL

I now assume my perceived "hypoglycemia" is just my body coming down off it's perpetual sugar high. I feel like I have low blood sugar because in a sense, I do - compared to what I'm used to. It's still hard to cope (but getting easier) since I feel "funny" almost constantly... like intrusive and/or racing thoughts, this feeling like a "background hum" only a feeling, not a sound, and craving sweets without actually being hungry. I think I'm getting used to it, though, and I take it as a sign that I'm on the right track to starting a healthier diet.
  • lindsaywalker5015
    lindsaywalker5015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had a peek in your journal and it looks like you've made some great changes. You've cut out the caffeince and most of the sugary drinks! Hopefully that's helping you feel more level. Keep going eating the vegetables and aim to eat 5 small meals a day containing protein, fats, and complex carbohydrates and you'll get there!
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    @ charlieheffer,

I forgot about yogurt, though I know I should stay away from the sugar-laden flavored ones. I've tried plain yogurt before, with fresh strawberries mashed with a fork mixed in and it was good! I'll have to add that to my shopping list. Thanks for your suggestions!

No problems :smile: :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary.

It actually doesn't look too bad with the exception of those drinks, which imho shouldn't be consumed while breast feeding as mentioned...you don't want your baby hyped up do you????

Those are enough to cause those jittery feelings...drink more water...and don't deny your cravings...you seem to be doing well at staying in your calorie goals.

The only other thing I see are lots of entries that are well...off

2oz chicken 55 calories
    4oz chicken 130 calories

4oz of chicken breast has 250 calories...about 145grams...

Look for entries without asteriks or generic in them or homemade.

But saying all that...you are breast feeding and you want not just enough milk but you want quality milk. I always expressed as well to ensure that there was enough fat in mine, and yes you can tell as it does seperate.

I would up your protien and fats big time...

Eat more eggs, lean meats, cheese, yogurt (for those sugar cravings) I choose a greek non fat with fruit and it has 50-80 calories each but it has 8g of protien.

I understand being a new mom and breast feeding and how you can neglect yourself but don't. When you are feeding your daughter make sure you have a snack with you too and some water. IE yogurt, cheese and crackers, a bowl of grapes or berries etc.

It's important to get nutrients and vitamins in now...along with enough protien, fat and I wouldn't worry about the carbs...
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi. I get like that - jittery and anxious - when I have too much caffeine. Those Java monster drinks are loaded with caffeine 188mg in one can. Maybe that could be it?

^^^
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First, stop adding 500 calories for breastfeeding. You could add 300 calories, if you were already at a relatively low calorie diet, low weight etc. Your body will not stop producing milk if you eat around 1700 calories, not at all. So, do not try to force yourself to eat more to make milk, you need to be starving or have a very poor nutritionally diet to affect your supply, do not worry about this at all.
    Second, the symptoms you describe, they are not from low calories or starvation. Since you recently gave birth, please go back to your dr for a checkup. It could be as simple as being exhasuted, but it could be a thyroid out of control and it could be diabetes or blood pressure issues, and probably a million other things.
  • KelleynBradyBoys
    Options
    Whenever I see someone restricting their calories I have to tell them about my experience on the high carb low fat vegan food plan. I lost all the weight very quickly and ate SOOOO much food, I will never go back. Cutting out the fat and animal products seriously boosted my metabolism and now I am at my high school weight which I never thought I could do without restricting and working out obsessively.
    The effect on your metabolism that a (very) low fat diet has is remarkable and I am so excited about my progress, I feel I need to tell everyone who is stuck in the restricting trap.