Lean Mass vs. Body Fat

Options
I got a Hydrostatic test done last week and it said by Body Fat % was 39.18% and my Lean Mass was 186lbs. When I try to figure out how much I should weigh at 24% Body Fat, the calculators say ~230lbs. I know that as I lose weight, I will lose both fat and lean mass, but what % of my weight loss should be lean mass?

Weight: 296
Height: 5'7

ETA: I do not want to lose lean mass, but I know it is likely going to happen, I just want to know what I should expect (or what is an acceptable rate of Lean Mass loss) so if is higher/lower than that I can make adjustments.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A big part of the problem with lean mass in this situation is it includes organs, skin, connective tissue, water, etc. Not just muscles. Everything will get smaller as you lose weight. At 5'7 230, you'll have great progress, but very likely will still have obese levels of body fat.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Most calculators that calculate current & target composition have some sort of disclaimer like this:
    "Actual target weight may be different since lean body weight may increase (with exercise) or decrease (with diet or overtraining)."

You can minimize the amount of lean body mass you lose by keeping protein levels up and progressive strength training.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Just to give you MY experience (my top weight was 240) and I have no idea if my results are typical. About 1/3 of my weightloss was lean tissue. I really feel like I was left with no muscles at the end. I've been trying to build up muscle ever since. I lost about 70 lbs of fat and 30 lbs of lean mass.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    How do you minimize muscle loss and maximize fat loss?
  • deksgrl
    Options

Adequate protein, a small calorie deficit, and strength training.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I got a Hydrostatic test done last week and it said by Body Fat % was 39.18% and my Lean Mass was 186lbs. When I try to figure out how much I should weigh at 24% Body Fat, the calculators say ~230lbs. I know that as I lose weight, I will lose both fat and lean mass, but what % of my weight loss should be lean mass?

ETA: I do not want to lose lean mass, but I know it is likely going to happen, I just want to know what I should expect (or what is an acceptable rate of Lean Mass loss) so if is higher/lower than that I can make adjustments.

as others have mentioned LBM is not just muscle...so it's hard to guage really.

But that being said if you don't want to lose LBM then don't. That is accomplished by eating enough protien and doing resistence training. I have since Mid June lost 17lbs and dropped 8% bf...but have only lost about 1lb of LBM...mainly due to resistence training and my protien.
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    A big part of the problem with lean mass in this situation is it includes organs, skin, connective tissue, water, etc. Not just muscles. Everything will get smaller as you lose weight. At 5'7 230, you'll have great progress, but very likely will still have obese levels of body fat.

That is what I am thinking as well...
    Mostly I just want to know, for example:

If I lose 10lb, and 3lb of that was lean mass, is that an acceptable amount? Should I expect more or less?
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    To minimize muscle loss you need to lift heavy.
    Overall weight loss may be a tad slower than if you did tons of cardio, but you'll be maintaining much more muscle.

You'll look better losing 40 lbs of fat and no muscle, than if you lost 35lbs of fat and 15lbs of muscle (even if it's an extra 10lbs of total weight lost).

Edit: Also, as others have mentioned, getting enough protein is important as is not trying to lose too quickly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

resistance training and adequate protein intake along with a reasonable calorie deficit. You can only oxidize so much fat in a 24 hour period...so substantially large calorie deficits will burn more lean mass, particularly as individuals lean out and get into more healthy BF% ranges.
  • deksgrl
    Options

If I lose 10lb, and 3lb of that was lean mass, is that an acceptable amount? Should I expect more or less?

What is acceptable depends on your goal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say so...3lb of Lean mass is a lot.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options

^^^ Increase your lean protein. Going for fast weight loss is a sure fire way to lose lean body mass. Look for an eating program that supports your goals.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say so...3lb of Lean mass is a lot.

^^ Agree ^^ If I could do it again, with all the knowledge I have now, I would definitely try NOT to lose 3 lbs of lean for 7 lbs of fat.
  • Amelia7779
    Amelia7779 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've heard that a 5-10% Lbm loss is within acceptable limits when losing significant weight.

So in your case, at 283, 38.19 % bf

If you lose 50 lbs, but only 10% of your Lbm, then you would be 233 lbs and 27.2 % bf, which seems actually pretty good for that weight.

That being said, if you do resistance training, have a reasonable deficit and hit your protein you should do OK

Edit: sorry I should have read your numbers a little more carefully. If you lost fifty, you'd be 246 and 32% bf
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Personally, less if you follow a caloric deficit, getting adequate protein, and do resistance training. Less meaning LBM loss. Go slow, and LBM ought to be maintained for much of your weight loss. Good luck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can calculate now but it definitely won't be accurate. I did that when I was 180 lbs or something, it said I would have 25% body fat at 156 lbs... I was still 29% body fat then. Now at 137 lbs I'm probably at 24 or something... You will lose some lean mass along the way.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I think this is almost impossible to determine. The best way I know of to keep as much of your lean mass as possible is to stick to a reasonable deficit (not to eat too little), to bump up your protein intake (to like 1-1.5g/lb of lean body mass) and engage in resistance training. If you are working out your muscles, your body will determine them "necessary"and will be less likely to tap into them for energy.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    At 100+ lbs overweight, it's probably best to focus on maintaining a steady deficit, eating adequate protein, and doing resistance training. That will keep your muscles around - the lean mass that helps you, and you want at the end of the day.

As opposed to focusing on lean vs fat mass and worrying about how much of a 10 lb increment was lean mass components.

Seriously, a lot of the lean mass at this point is not mass you want. It's related directly to excess fat. When you're closer to target, it makes more sense to hone in on the details.