Curious... 'Day Off'

Options
How does everyone get back on track after a few days off?

Do you feel tempted to keep eat eat eating? Or do you feel the need to punish yourselves?

Both are a symptom of my 'days off'... anyone else simliar??

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You gotta do what works for you.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hmm, interesting. I tend to have some days off and then I realise I am going backwards and I don't like it
  • frankieags
    frankieags Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree - whatever works for you... BUT, what works for me... look at yourself in the mirror! You'll get back on track in no time.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as it's within my calories, so I never feel the need to take a day off. :)
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    If I plan to take a day of I also plan when I need to go back. If I overdo my calories, then the next morning there is a new batch that I can enjoy.

Really the only danger is not to follow the system.
  • gaet0011
    gaet0011 Posts: 20
    Options
    When I'm getting back on track after a few days off, I will always increase my water intake by 16-20oz. and decrease my starch intake by about 1/3 of normal for a period of 3 days. It helps bring my awareness back into focus while flushing out any extra water I might be holding on to. It's not really to punish myself, it's more so that I bring my eating back into focus.
  • misshalll
    misshalll Posts: 31
    Options
    Just wondering if other people have 'necessary' days off. Like family meals and stuff - although I guess I could still make better choices on those.

The days off are infrequent... I think i've just always planned to have days off and then moan about it afterwards!
  • misshalll
    Options
    When I'm getting back on track after a few days off, I will always increase my water intake by 16-20oz. and decrease my starch intake by about 1/3 of normal for a period of 3 days. It helps bring my awareness back into focus while flushing out any extra water I might be holding on to. It's not really to punish myself, it's more so that I bring my eating back into focus.

Thats helpful! Thank you!
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster. I don't take days off, I just fit in what I want. If I go over a day because I go out to dinner and eat what I want, I just make up for it through out the week by exercising more and/or cutting a few more calories here or there. Or I just let it go. But the remainder of the day that I went over I eat just like I do any other day. If I really am craving something, I allow I myself to have it (within moderation of course). I don't think I could really take whole days off. Recently I ate some fried foods for dinner (nachos, wings, and cheese sticks) and didn't feel well after. I assume it was the grease which I now rarely have. That feeling keeps me from wanting to take whole days off. This is what has worked for me. This keeps me from completely falling off the wagon or having trouble getting back into a routine. That being said, I have read other success stories where they do have a cheat day and it worked fine for them. So you just have to decide what will work best for you.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Punish myself? Never! My mindset is such that this is for life, and some days (or weeks, months, seasons) will be better than others, but exercise and eating right is what I do, it's my lifestyle now.

I do take rest days with no problem getting back, and even a full rest week every few months. And when the week is up, I go back to my regular exercises feeling ready and refreshed. Before a race I might up my calorie goal for a week, or set myself at maintenance over the holidays. And when it's past, I go back to my regular settings, no problem.

One day at a time for staying on track, but also look down the road at the big picture - I'm in it long term, forever, and I've learned to roll with setbacks. I always have a plan for exercise and healthy eating, but I'm not going to let unexpected things derail me or punish myself if I get off track on vacation, have an unexpected dinner out and go way beyond daily cals, have to take a week off due to illness, jury duty, whatever! Roll with it, do the best you can and keep going. :smile:
  • Julesdublin
    Julesdublin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would be able to stick to dieting if I didn't have the occasional day off.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as it's within my calories, so I never feel the need to take a day off. :)

This is so true for me...(on most days)
  • misshalll
    Options
    Thanks everyone... the input really helps!! I think I need to just keep going long enough to decide what is best for my body :-) I usually get a bit demotivated by now and when I fall off the wagon I fall right off..

Feel great at the moment though. The running is really helping xx