P90X3 vs Counting Calories

Options
urban_ninja
urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
Actually, it's not a contest. My goal was to get fit, have endurance, and be agile. I've done numerous programs and achieved some success, but hit a plateau. Once I realized I was simply eating too much, I've started managing my portions and tracking my intake. I haven't stopped eating the foods I love; just less. I did have a few overage days, but my weekly aggregate was still a deficit. This is sustainable for me. I've tried to do the Beachbody nutrition programs once, but I couldn't live like that! And there was no way I was going to cut carbs or filter myself to certain foods. I LOVE bread, potatoes, and pasta! I'm asian so cutting out rice was crazy talk!

I'm posting my progress since getting the new P90X3 program, and I've seen dramatic improvement. I hope this may inspire others. I still have 30 days left to do in this program. It's 30 minutes per workout, and I also incorporate circuit work for additional strengthening and run training. I exercise 6 days a week and average 60-90 minutes per workout. I love these programs and it works for me (I'm not a coach).

These are simply tools I use to attain my goals.

I believe MFP is the biggest contributor to my success. My friends rock!! You want to lose weight? Account for your calories and exercise to speed up the process. It works!

ufVOJxj.jpg

qJiiDmx.jpg

XCb7JKJ.jpg

Replies

• thrillho3
    thrillho3 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    wow you look awesome! ;) love that you decided to eat what you want, only less. that's the way to do it, to be sustainable, imo. great job, and thanks for the motivation!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far! What a change! Good for you.
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Damn, bro! Looking good!

I'm on a circuit of T25 + treadmill right now and have been getting some decent results after a month. Like you I'm not worrying much about diet content, just calorie counting. Here's hoping I can get some moderate shrinkage as you've seen, we've got nearly identical background and goals. Well done! :)

Mark
  • urban_ninja
    Options
    @Mark, I love your timeline pic. You are right! You're like my twin, except I can't act worth crap! You look great and good luck with your run training. When I started, I couldn't run more than a minute at a time.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    frickin smokin results bro! I'm at the 60 day point as well with p90x 3.. I started at 320 so my results wont be as dramatic this round as yours are.. but i plan to keep doing them. its the greatest 30 minutes of my day!! I'm going to add in P90x ab ripper as well 3x a week. congrats on your progress!!!
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Keep hearing good things about P90X in general. I'm bored (and plateauing) with Insanity, so I'm definitely going have to look into acquiring this. Congrats on the results!
  • urban_ninja
    Options
    frickin smokin results bro! I'm at the 60 day point as well with p90x 3.. I started at 320 so my results wont be as dramatic this round as yours are.. but i plan to keep doing them. its the greatest 30 minutes of my day!! I'm going to add in P90x ab ripper as well 3x a week. congrats on your progress!!!

@bikermike5094, I know you'll rock it! Calorie counting was the catalyst IMO.
    Keep hearing good things about P90X in general. I'm bored (and plateauing) with Insanity, so I'm definitely going have to look into acquiring this. Congrats on the results!

@Lifelink, I liked Insanity and gives you some serious cardio, but I think incorporating strength exercises with weights helps tremendously.
  • stephdmash
    stephdmash Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried both P90X and Insanity, and both were very hard on my knee (had reconstructive surgery in 2011)..I wish I could do either though - they're both intense!!
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tried both P90X and Insanity, and both were very hard on my knee (had reconstructive surgery in 2011)..I wish I could do either though - they're both intense!!

You might want to try something like T25 it has a lot of modifications for things like bad knees. I am actually missing 20% of the flesh and 10% of the muscle in my right leg due to necrotizing fasciitis. (look more like a shark took a bite out of my leg) but anyway. I was able to finish T25 Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. I am currently on the last Block of P90x3. Yeah like you Insanity was just too intense for my leg.

So trust me when I say if I can do it anyone can.. I could even do 1 jumping jack when I started. Just message me if you want more info.
  • urban_ninja
    Options

You might want to try something like T25 it has a lot of modifications for things like bad knees. I am actually missing 20% of the flesh and 10% of the muscle in my right leg due to necrotizing fasciitis. (look more like a shark took a bite out of my leg) but anyway. I was able to finish T25 Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. I am currently on the last Block of P90x3. Yeah like you Insanity was just too intense for my leg.

So trust me when I say if I can do it anyone can.. I could even do 1 jumping jack when I started. Just message me if you want more info.

I totally can relate to knee problems. I had bone grafting surgery done to my knee due to cancer. When I first started exercising, I had the modify the hell out of everything. Although my post reflects 60 days, my efforts spanned over years just to get the strength and mobility in my leg.
  • ladywizard43
    ladywizard43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You are so rocking this program Steve! A real inspiration to all of us! I This program is hard, but so worth it!! Keep up the amazing work, I'll be watching your updates!! Can't wait to see day 90!!! :D
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wow this is truly motivating.
    You are doing an awesome job!!!!
  • urban_ninja
    Options
    XCb7JKJ.jpg

7k76Pkz.gif

I'm just playin. LOL But you are looking scrumpdiddlyumptious. Keep up the great work!!!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

I do pair well with chocolate and the snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Yay another P90X3'r! I've lost (visibly) a LOT of inches. I have pictures too but I'm waiting to finish the program to post them, yet I've only lost about 12 pounds on the scale (which I could care less about).

Great results, keep us posted as shall I!
  • KristaWeiss
    KristaWeiss Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    wow, those are great results!
  • urban_ninja
    Options
    Yay another P90X3'r! I've lost (visibly) a LOT of inches. I have pictures too but I'm waiting to finish the program to post them, yet I've only lost about 12 pounds on the scale (which I could care less about).

Great results, keep us posted as shall I!

Yup! I lost about 20lbs since the start of the year. I record the weight but it's not a significant metric for me either. I've also lost 10 inches in waist and neck total.

Keep rocking it, and I look forward to seeing your results.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    I wish I took a before picture... I'm down 40 pounds and 4 inches so far on p90x3 at 10 weeks in... Definitely gonna finish, rinse, And repeat. Started at 250 and a 42 waist. Ultimate goal is 185 and 34 inch waist.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many times I hear folks say how the wished they had taken before pick. You are not alone. Many are just too embarrassed or just forget. Yeah I was in a wheelchair for 4 months before I started T25 and you think I have and picks of me in the wheel chair. No. I have a few close up shots of my leg injury but nothing saying "hey look at me I'm in a wheelchair". You just don't think to take them. :(

My hubby is down 85 lbs and we had to dig up pick of him for before pics. He just never liked taking picture when he was 305 lbs.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Way to go!!! Very motivating!

I am just finishing up X3, I love it, it's so challenging..how about those crane crackers! :laugh:
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    what happened to that belly!?
    You look great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!