When to step on the scale?

Options
When is the best time to step on that dreaded scale? In the mornings or evenings? I would prefer not to have to get on it at all, but...I just wasnt sure if there was a specific time of day to weigh in .

Replies

• mommywally
    mommywally Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In the mornings is the best time
  • AE0626
    AE0626 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I prefer 1st thing in the morning before I've eaten and drunk anything, but IMO as long as you're consistent it doesn't really matter.
  • UnicornOreos
    Options
    Thank you!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at least 3 times a day. I do it naked first thing in the morning, when I get home from work, and before I go to bed. I see the fluctuation, but most importantly to me, I see the downward trend and can see those days where my body is hording water since I know that I didn't gain 2 lbs overnight. If it is a dreaded thing to you, I would go so far as to say, weigh yourself once a week or maybe even once every 2 weeks. But on a certain day at a certain time is best. You'll feel better if the timing is consistent. Best of luck!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The mornings when you get up. It should be before eating and exercising. Also make sure you go to the bathroom too beforehand.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    I weigh every morning before eating and after going to the bathroom.....I also weigh minus the clothes......I know I should maybe keep it to once a week but that darn scale has a magnetic pull.....can't resist it....but it also plays mind games too....especially when it hikes the numbers up instead of dropping them.....sighhhh....:(
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do it everyday when I first wake up (after I go to the bathroom).
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh about an hour after I get up. There is something about fluid when I first get up because my wedding ring won't come off. About 30 minutes to an hour is best for me.
  • Juanita0714
    Options
    In the morning. I weigh myself every morning. However, I think I need to stop getting on the scale each day and weigh myself once a week. The scale keeps calling my name and I can't resist because some days, the scale is not my friend, its my enemy.... Nevertheless, even if the scale doesn't move, I will celebrate the small victories each day...
  • Juanita0714
    Options
    In the morning. I weigh myself every morning. However, I think I need to stop getting on the scale each day and weigh myself once a week. The scale keeps calling my name and I can't resist because some days, the scale is not my friend, its my enemy.... Nevertheless, even if the scale doesn't move, I will celebrate the small victories each day...
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I do it in the mornings before I've eaten or drunk and once I've been to the toilet.

If you aren't in the habit of weighing yourself then try and do it as little as possible. It's addictive.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week.
    I work night shift so tend to weigh on my day off after an overnight sleep (go to the toilet etc first, before eating).
    If the scales haven't moved much I may re-weigh myself in a couple of days if I feel disappointed.
    Weight loss is never linear, I can tell by the way I feel that I'm lighter or not.
    Since commencing serious exercising (I had to recover from an injured knee) I have found my weight is dropping quicker at the moment.
  • EmilyT1994
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning, but I always feel like I'm kidding myself when I'm 3 pounds lighter than the night before.
    Feel like there's something wrong with the scales and I'm still just as fat.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a week in the mornings.

Honestly the scale is a dirty liar. I put more faith in my weekly measurements.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    as others said first thing in morning after washroom.
    Now since weightloss is not linear-under my reports- I prefer the 30 day one. The 7 day report shows too many ups and down and the 30 day report lets me see the downward trend.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Just shoot for consistency... If you want to weigh at night, keep weighing at night. If you weigh with clothes on, keep weighing with the same types of clothes on.
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week right after I wake up and use the bathroom.
  • carolsteele45
    carolsteele45 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning before eating and after going to the bathroom.....I also weigh minus the clothes......I know I should maybe keep it to once a week but that darn scale has a magnetic pull.....can't resist it....but it also plays mind games too....especially when it hikes the numbers up instead of dropping them.....sighhhh....:(

Haha - I'm exactly the same, it's a very powerful love/hate relationship I have with my bathroom scales - and I breathe out when I stand on them. I know it doesn't make a shred of difference, but psychologically I have to do it lol
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just shoot for consistency... If you want to weigh at night, keep weighing at night. If you weigh with clothes on, keep weighing with the same types of clothes on.

Yep, it's a comparison over time you're looking at so whichever time of day you choose just always weigh at that time.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

Haha - I'm exactly the same, it's a very powerful love/hate relationship I have with my bathroom scales - and I breathe out when I stand on them. I know it doesn't make a shred of difference, but psychologically I have to do it lol

Lol I seomtimes weigh myself a second time if I feel like I was clenching my fists or leaning to one side like it's going to matter...it's always the same lol

in any case - I always weigh right in the morning before eating/drinking and after going to the bathroom. i do, sometimes, weigh myself before and after workouts or at the end of a day out of curiosity. I only, however, count the number in the morning