Logging foods before you eat them

Options
Does anyone else do this? I plan out what I'm going to eat for the entire day and then I can eat that and know I'll be under my calorie goal. I also log my exercise. Seriously though, am I the only one?

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I prelog during the week and sometimes on the weekends. I don't log my exercise since I'm on the TDEE-20% method, so I eat the same amount of calories with or without exercise.
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who does that! It really does help, even if it's just to decide which snacks to have in between meals. I can choose the one that doesn't put me over my limits on anything.
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    You are not alone. I cook for the week on weekends and sometimes end up logging all of my meals for the week before it even starts. I find that it helps me stay on track. The only thing I usually don't log too early is my snacks. I normally do that the day before or the morning of because I don't know what I'll be feeling for the day
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do this, I like playing around with the figures and finding ways to fit in treats into my day. I sometimes end up changing my mind, but I always have a rough idea of what my day is going to be like.
  • joynixon
    joynixon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing on a work week. I should probably do it on my 3 days off too. I seem to eat more when I don't.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I do this most mornings so I can plan my day - sometimes have to adjust the portion once I have actually weighed something but it really helps.
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do it, and it really helps me stay in control. At the end of the day I may add or subtract a few small things. I think it is good to plan and be organized.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else do this? I plan out what I'm going to eat for the entire day and then I can eat that and know I'll be under my calorie goal. I also log my exercise. Seriously though, am I the only one?

I do not pre-log my exercise, but I usually know what I intend to do (and I follow the TDEE method anyway, so my calorie goal is set based on exercise; therefore I don't eat exercise calories).

I pre-logged my food 95% of the time while I was losing weight, and now I pre-log most every weekday. Sometimes I log an entire week on Sunday afternoon. I know what is on the food schedule and I find it MUCH easier to stick to. Super easy to say no to a donut at work when I know what my meals and snacks are, they're already packed, and there just isn't calorie space for the donut.

I consider pre-logging to be one of the "secrets" of my success, actually.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Every day! Even now on maintenance. I always log my dinner as I log my breakfast, then I add any treats I might want , (popcorn and ice cream with dh after kids go to bed) then see what I have to work with for lunch and snacks during the day. This way I don't get surprised at the end of day day and wonder what happened.
  • nordakota
    nordakota Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do! Sometimes I even log a day in advance! It keeps me accountable.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I prelog all of my main meals. Then, fill in my snacks where my macros are lacking.
    It definitely helps me keep on track.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I used to prelog my meals for each day when I first started on here, it was very helpful. Now after logging for 10 months I have an idea of the amount of calories in most meals so I can estimate a plan for the day that still leaves me some calories tpo play with for the evening.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am actually trying this tactic for the first time this week.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I am a planner, helps me with grocery shopping too.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my meals and add snacks as needed. sometimes i snack sometimes i don't.
    I usually do not log exercise until i do it.
    Do whatever works for you.
  • Toxyc
    Toxyc Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started doing that around 5 days ago. I've noticed a good change my food consumption. I'm not constantly thinking about what I am going to eat or have, as it is already planned out. Helped cut down on snacking as I would feel bad having to add it, since I don't want to have to change my log for anything except for adding exercise.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I pre-log during the work week most of the time. I have preplanned my meals, I might as well add them up and make sure I am on track, it also keeps me from going crazy and eating too much. I don't pre-log exercis, I have a fitbit and it automatically adds in available calories.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I prelog my breakfast and lunch during the week because I make them at home and eat at work.
    Sometimes I guesstimate meals so I have a rough idea of my intake and change it when I actually weigh and eat it.
    Most days I weigh, write it on a note pad and log when watching the tv at night.
    It really depends on my mood or how busy I am.
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    Of course not. I log in everything way before I eat it. Sometimes a day before I eat it.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I pre log the whole week. Weekends I log as I know where we are eating at.