Upstairs apartment. Quiet night-time workout?

Options
I normally do a 30 minute workout in the morning and I'd love to be able to exercise for around 30 minutes when I get home from work, but it's pretty late in the evening and I live in an upstairs apartment. I like the 30DS/RI30 workouts a lot, but there's quite a bit of bouncing around that I'm sure would disturb the neighbors.

What are some effective "quiet" exercises that you like? (Specifically cardio!) I'm a big fan of the circuit-training style workouts so I'm looking for a variety of strenght/cardio/abs to kind of Frankenstein together for a night-time routine! Thanks so much!

Replies

• kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    There's a slew of different (and free!) workouts on this site. http://neilarey.com/workouts.html

I just look around for what suits me for the day and go with that. There are filters at the bottom of the page to sort it into categories.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender has a workout for people who live in apartments. www.fitnessblender.com
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The 30 day shred should be pretty quiet, or anything on youtube.

I used to have this issue too and my house was over 200 years old and hard wood floors. It stunk. My cats creaked the floor lol.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    Quiet? When I think if a quiet workout I think low impact. If its a resistance training workout, I would advise against using weights as they might clang or make loud noises when putting them down.

That being said what comes to mind are Yoga, Bodyweight Exercises (no impact ones (no jumping rope, burpees, split squat sprints etc). Exercises that one might do with barbells and dumbells can be substituted with resistance bands. Just about any ab routine or other exercises done on the floor should be fine as well when trying to keep quiet.

And dont workout too hard as to cause yourself to grunt too loudly or the lunk alarm may go off.

Good luck with your silent workouts!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity in an upstairs apartment using this: http://amzn.to/1hBr5mn very thick mat, and concentrating on my landing technique. Never had any complaints and I worked out at 6am.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

I used to have this issue too and my house was over 200 years old and hard wood floors. It stunk. My cats creaked the floor lol.

I can attest that the 30 Day Shred is NOT quiet! I did it in my old apartment and about 10 minutes into Day 1 my downstairs neighbor knocked on my door and asked me to please stop. There's so much jumping. I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

I got no complaints with this quiet workout: http://fitnessista.com/2013/04/the-quiet-workout/
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Is it out of the question to go out for a run or a bike ride..? :smile:
  • livjackdaniels
    Options
    'Ballet beautiful' its really really challenging but seriously burns the fat...majority of it is floor work but its very satisfying burns in all the right places :-) give it a go
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Power yoga, no joke. Check out apytv.com...it costs a lil but, but it's awesome. Or for free, search for power yoga on youtube.
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I normally do a 30 minute workout in the morning and I'd love to be able to exercise for around 30 minutes when I get home from work, but it's pretty late in the evening and I live in an upstairs apartment. I like the 30DS/RI30 workouts a lot, but there's quite a bit of bouncing around that I'm sure would disturb the neighbors.

What are some effective "quiet" exercises that you like? (Specifically cardio!) I'm a big fan of the circuit-training style workouts so I'm looking for a variety of strenght/cardio/abs to kind of Frankenstein together for a night-time routine! Thanks so much!

If you can afford it an exercise machine such as a bike is great. Weight lifting is good too. I am in an upstairs apartment as well and found an exercise bike is really great for nighttime because it does not cause any noise.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    yoga
    pilates
    weights

don't know it's been a while since I lived in an apartment and my son just has to tolerate what I do :flowerforyou:
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options

I wouldn't consider doing full sets of jumping jacks as a quiet activity. o_o

I agree with someone else in that quiet = low impact exercises. The first thing to come to mind was yoga.

Honestly when it comes to high impact/cardio stuff, I wouldn't want to make every effort to keep that ish quiet. I'd want to really make some noise and shake the floors, just let it all out! Kind of hampers the "high" or stress-relief of cardio otherwise, but that's just me.
  • ordinaryloser
    ordinaryloser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 3rd floor apartment and for awhile, I was doing kickboxing youtube videos, jillian michael's kickboxing fastfix, etc until I heard a banging on the ceiling. Mind you, it was 11 at night so that might have been why :laugh: But even so, I've stuck to doing my cardio at lunch at work then at home, I do weights. Crossfit type of training but without the loud clanging of dropping the weights on the floor like they're on fire. I put them down like a lil infant child :laugh:
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Is it out of the question to go out for a run or a bike ride..? :smile:

It's reeeeaaaaaally cold right now. :(

But otherwise, I'd love to ride my bike. LOVE.
  • thatpixichick
    thatpixichick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ah okay, I figured there probably was a reason! :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CRUrRekOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJryQEsT94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2khCb9iRSg

On a quick YouTube search I found those :) Maybe get an exercise bike, or an indoor bike training stand? My dad's a triathlete and uses one of those when the weather's awful and he's craving a good shred! Put a good movie or TV series on and burn away :happy:
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series - cardio, strength and - quiet.