Heavy lifting routines / strength gains

Options
Hi there,

I like strength training, but I find I'm sporadic and not really consistent in what I do. Anyone know where I can find a decent lifting routine so I can do it every other day and say work different parts of my body?

Also any ideas on how to increase strength - lift heavier? I don't have someone to spot me, I'm a lone ranger in the gym.

I'm aiming to eat 2000 kCals per day (if that's of any use to your replies)

Thanks in advance!

SDF.

Replies

• luce3003
    luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I felt I was in the same boat as you recently so after having a good nosey round the threads on here I have started Stronglifts 5x5.

It feels a bit back to basics, after spending months doing 5/6 excercises for each body part, but everyone seems to be very positive about it - it might be worth you reading up on it/checking out the groups and threads on here or the website is http://stronglifts.com/

Good luck xxx
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
    You need to be eating MORE calories than you are burning for sustained muscle and strength gains - however you may well get some initial strength gains.
    I'm presuming you're planning to be on a deficit for a while with 157lb to lose.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
    You need to be eating MORE calories than you are burning for sustained muscle and strength gains - however you may well get some initial strength gains.
    I'm presuming you're planning to be on a deficit for a while with 157lb to lose.

Yes, deficit, need to lose fat.

What do you suggest? I am disinclined to just do cardiovascular work.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Starting Strength or Stronglifts :).

They have definite advantages even if you don't increase strength - they'll help maintain the muscle you have - and with 157lb to lose, you've probably got a fair bit - stick a weight vest of that weight on many people and they'd have serious trouble standing up, never mind walking around.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think if you are a beginner starting strength or stronglifts is your best choice. If you really want to work a def muscle group everyday, I would suggest you look into Wendler 5/3/1 though it is a more intermediate program.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    A simple beginner routine:

Day 1: chest and triceps
    Day 2: off or abs or cardio
    Day 3: back and biceps
    Day 4: off or abs or cardio
    Day 5: shoulders
    Day 6: off or abs or cardio
    Day 7: legs
    take a day off and repeat.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check your local library or Amazon for the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" or any of the other New Rules books. Awesome, structured programs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Also any ideas on how to increase strength - lift heavier? I don't have someone to spot me, I'm a lone ranger in the gym.
    Educate yourself
    Get on a progressive lifting program
    Lift more things
    eat more things

And lastly- since no one else has mentioned this... lots of people lift alone- it's quiet normal.

Use the power cage and squat rack. Learn how to set them up properly and how to fail a lift properly. Yes that's a thing.

learn the words

"hey can you spot me real quick"

and then also learn how to set the bench up in the power cage (has adjustable rails) so you can bench and have your own safety.

I've been lifting alone my whole life- yes you may get pinned once or twice but if you do your research it won't be a catastrophic failure- just a minor embarrassment.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I also second Stronglifts but as you mentioned wanting to do a different area on different days, you might like wendlers 5/3/1. It still concentrates on the main compound lifts but you're only doing one each workout + assistance exercises. So there is a wee bit of a 'split' type thing in there. (It has been much better for me on the upper body as I was finding it very difficult to increase on these each workout).
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Starting Strength or Stronglifts :).

They have definite advantages even if you don't increase strength - they'll help maintain the muscle you have - and with 157lb to lose, you've probably got a fair bit - stick a weight vest of that weight on many people and they'd have serious trouble standing up, never mind walking around.

Can someone tell me what "Stronglifts" and "Starting Strength" are? Or where to find them?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Starting strength and stronglifts are in fact both great. However, it's tough to just start doing barbell squats and deadlifts on your own. I'd strongly recommend that you go get a trainer to teach you how to do those exercises properly. It'll be a great investment!

And definitely don't let any trainer try and waste your money by having you use exercise balls and whatnot. Make sure you have them teaching you the big compounds movements: squat, deadlift (maybe not necessary for beginners), bench press, pull up (or rows), and overhead press.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    A simple beginner routine:

Day 1: chest and triceps
    Day 2: off or abs or cardio
    Day 3: back and biceps
    Day 4: off or abs or cardio
    Day 5: shoulders
    Day 6: off or abs or cardio
    Day 7: legs
    take a day off and repeat.

Beginner routine?
    That's an advanced split routine, not to mention you've failed to include any actual exercises to help the OP.