Is lunch meat okay to eat?

Options
When on a diet, obviously? I make a sandwich everyday for lunch because it's easy to carry around and I use lunch meat (turkey) it doesn't have a lot of calories only like 100 for 5 slices but I'm wondering if there's a healthier alternative that I could buy? Or something I could make and store because I don't have time to cook in the morning

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories for the day, go for it.

I had hot dogs yesterday!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    If you really want a healthier alternative, I sometimes buy a ham joint, cook it in the slow cooker or pressure cooker and cut it up for sandwiches. Keeps a few days in the fridge. Cheaper and leaner, although it's still salty processed meat. Personally I don't worry about it, although if you are, you could do the same thing with uncured meat eg. chicken or turkey breast, beef or pork roast.

But there are no weight loss consequences to eating luncheon meat, if it fits your calories. Just salty meat consequences!

(Oh how I love salty meat!)
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    yes, it fine to eat. Like the poster above said...if it fits in your daily goals, then go for it!

I have been watching my sodium intake a little bit more so I also like to baked chicken breasts, then slice them really thin to make my own "deli meat" for sandwiches or wraps. Before baking I sprinkle with garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, etc. Not as many preservatives and lower sodium too. Put the slices in a container in the fridge and they will be good for about three days. Just another option for when I have time to make my own.

I love it when I find chicken breast "reduced for quick sale". Buy a few packs and stock up. You could also do the same with pork tenderloin.

HTH! :smile:
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Reduced meat is great, I try never to buy a chicken full price. Canny Scot FTW!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yeah, of course. I eat meat for lunch everyday. Chicken, pork loin... it fits great in my calories, gives me protein and more energy.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    If it fits your goals and it's a food you like, go for it.

I eat shave turkey (deli) meat multiple times a week, but me personally, I buy the low sodium kind.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,898 Member
    Options
    In
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My only thoughts on these types of meats is the sodium in them.
    I buy a plain whole chicked from the butcher and cook it on a Sunday evening, the break it up and put it in a container and use that for lunch (then choose the worst calories for chicken on MFP for logging, so currently logging it as leg meat as by the time it's broken up into the container I don't know what's breast meat or what's thigh/drumstick/wing etc).

I'm not a huge fan of sandwich meat so it's more personal choice, as above watch the salt levels as this can impact water retention and weight loss.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I buy chicken breast when it is on sale, marinade it in a few different marinades, bake, slice and weigh, and freeze in individual portions. They are handy for grabbing and tossing into my husbands lunch, and they stay cold since they are frozen. I guess you could just add it to you sandwich right before eating. You could probably do the same thing with pork or steak, but I haven't tried it.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Deli meat is a part of my almost everyday lunch. Some are higher in sodium so just keep an eye out if you notice you're sodium intake is going over ( mine doesn't ). I personally like the Thin N Trim brand esp their honey mesquite chicken breast :smile:
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the carbs in the bread.
  • Stary714
    Stary714 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I love turkey, I think it's something like 60 calories per 3 slices :)
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Deli meat is a part of my almost everyday lunch. Some are higher in sodium so just keep an eye out if you notice you're sodium intake is going over ( mine doesn't ). I personally like the Thin N Trim brand esp their honey mesquite chicken breast :smile:

Thin N Trim, if you can find it, has lower sodium than most brands and is my "go to" when I want lunch meat.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When on a diet, obviously? I make a sandwich everyday for lunch because it's easy to carry around and I use lunch meat (turkey) it doesn't have a lot of calories only like 100 for 5 slices but I'm wondering if there's a healthier alternative that I could buy? Or something I could make and store because I don't have time to cook in the morning

It 100% depends on what your goals are.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

^^ that is exactly why i started using St. Joseph's lavash on days when I'm craving carbs and wrapping my deli meat in romaine lettuce leaves the majority of the days
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    What is this "diet" you speak of? Yes, lunch meat is fine, high in sodium, but low calories and decent protein. IIFYM

Rigger
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lunch meat on a sandwich is ok for lunch, just as a bowl of cereal is ok for breakfast.

eta: and should not be considered a cheat meal.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lol
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lunch meat on a sandwich is ok for lunch, just as a bowl of cereal is ok for breakfast.

eta: and should not be considered a cheat meal.

Lolz. Yep. As long as the whole sandwich doesn't go over 250 calories, she's fine.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    No. I have alerted the FBI (Food Bureau of Investigation).