50 calories per serving?? This can't be right

Options
When I scanned in the steel cut oats, added the water, it came to 50 cal per serving. That is awesome, but seems impossible?!

Make a Week of Steel-Cut Oats in 5 Minutes
Ingredients

1 2/3 cups steel-cut oats
4 cups water
Large pinch salt

Mix-Ins:
Milk or soy milk
Cinnamon or other spices
Raisins or other dried fruit
Walnuts or other nuts
Jam
Honey

Equipment

5 pint-sized Mason jars with lids (I used wide-mouth jars)
Large saucepan
Ladle

Instructions
1. Collect your jars and other equipment. I like pint-sized jars for this as they allow a little more room for adding nuts, raisins, and milk later. But you can also use half-pint jars.

2. Bring the oats, water and salt to a boil. Simmer for about 3 minutes then turn off the heat.

3. Ladle the oats and water into the jars. Cover the jars tightly with their caps and rings. Leave on the counter overnight. (This is how I make my oatmeal and I have had absolutely no problems with it, healthwise, but if for some reason you are not comfortable leaving hot oatmeal out overnight, you can also refrigerate the jars. The oatmeal won't be quite as well cooked in the morning; it will be a thinner, less creamy oatmeal. But it will still be fine.)

4. The next morning, put all but one of the jars in the refrigerator. Take the cap off one jar and stir up the oatmeal inside. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, or until quite hot. Add any milk, raisins, or other mix-ins. Enjoy!

Replies

• Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    What is a serving size? The entire mason jar (1 pint) or a spoonful? or a cup? or 2/3 cup?

Im sure theres a serving size for that recipe which equals 50 calories. Just not sure what it is.
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup dry is 150 by itself, with out add ins.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You don't say how much a serving is.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    This is why I use the 100g listed values for everything, weigh, and decide my own serving size. They always use ridiculously low values to get a massaged figure. The 'serving size' used for the calorie level on a tube of Smarties is half a tube. Likewise Coke uses 250ml as the serving size on its 250ml bottles.

/goes off on a rant about 30g cereal servings

grumblegrumble
  • charming12u
    Options
    Recipe says it makes 5 jars, would assume that means 5 servings?
  • nanaclips
    nanaclips Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I follow the recipe and have 5 quart sized mason jars, they only have about 1-1/12 serving spoon size in each jar. I scanned the Quaker oatmeal container as dry because I was mixing it with water like the recipe.
  • nanaclips
    Options
    I listed my recipe for 5 servings!
  • nanaclips
    Options
    1/4 cup is 150 cal cooked??
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup is 150 cal cooked??

Yes 1/4 cup dry steel cut oats (which makes a lot bigger serving size when cooked) is 150 cal, it should say this on the container.
  • ktgbgrme
    ktgbgrme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup being 150 calories cooked seems about right; long cooking oats usually call for 3 parts liquid to 1 part oat, so that would make your ¼ cup into 1 cup of cooked oatmeal, which is 150 calories.
    But they're a very healthy 150 calories.:smile:

I've cooked steel cut oats and oat groats in my crock pot following the recipe at this link. They're awesome.

http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2009/01/overnight-crock-pot-oatmeal.html
  • charming12u
    Options
    1/4 cup of dry is about 150 calories. My oats don't quite double once cooked (so little under 1/2 cup cooked). Granted its early, but if my math is right, you've got 1.66 cups of oats in your recipe. Divide by .25 (1/4 cup serving size) and then multiple by 150 calories. That equals 996 calories for the whole recipe. Divide by 5 jars, that equals about 200 calories per jar of just oats made with water.

*I like chewy oats, that's why mine aren't as much. But that won't matter, as its based on the dry measurements.

Edited to show math.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    FYI this in the "introduce yourself" message board. You could also post on the food board.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    MFP Recipe builder: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

enter servings (5), ingredients (oats, water, pinch salt), it will tell you how many calories per serving.

eta: I just entered it for kicks & grins and got 199 calories for JUST the oats - no mix-ins.
  • nanaclips
    Options
    Ok, so scanning the Quaker oats container----it said 1/4 cup, I added 1 2/3 number of servings bc that was what the recipe called for, then I added tap water number of servings 4 bc that's the recipe....I received 50 cal per 5 servings.
  • nanaclips
    Options
    Thank you all. I apologize if I was on the wrong board. I posted to a group I joined and no one had responded.
    I apologize again.
  • Phrick
    Options
    Ok, so scanning the Quaker oats container----it said 1/4 cup, I added 1 2/3 number of servings bc that was what the recipe called for, then I added tap water number of servings 4 bc that's the recipe....I received 50 cal per 5 servings.

The recipe calls for 1 2/3 cups of oats. Not 5 servings, which would be 1 1/4 cups. And certainly not 1 2/3 of one serving, which it looks like is what you did (therefore only adding about 3/8 of a cup of oats total to the recipe)
  • wilsoje74
    Options

If you are using 1 2/3 cup that is 6 or so servings (1 1/2 cup is exactly 6 servings)

1/4 cup = 1 serving
    1 1/2 cup oats = 6 servings
  • el_joey
    el_joey Posts: 12
    Options
    1/4 cup of dry is about 150 calories. My oats don't quite double once cooked (so little under 1/2 cup cooked). Granted its early, but if my math is right, you've got 1.66 cups of oats in your recipe. Divide by .25 (1/4 cup serving size) and then multiple by 150 calories. That equals about 200 calories per jar of just oats made with water.

*I like chewy oats, that's why mine aren't as much. But that won't matter, as its based on the dry measurement.

If she's using 1.66 cups for 5 serving... one would devide that by 5, not by the recommended serving size. Also, she's not using 1.66 cups, she's using 1.66 servings, so, yes, i can see possibly 50 calories/serving.
  • Phrick
    Options
    Thank you all. I apologize if I was on the wrong board. I posted to a group I joined and no one had responded.
    I apologize again.

Meh, don't worry about it. I don't think they were saying it's on the "wrong" board, just pointing out that you could post it on the food/nutrition board to get more replies.
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    1/4 cup of dry is about 150 calories. My oats don't quite double once cooked (so little under 1/2 cup cooked). Granted its early, but if my math is right, you've got 1.66 cups of oats in your recipe. Divide by .25 (1/4 cup serving size) and then multiple by 150 calories. That equals about 200 calories per jar of just oats made with water.

*I like chewy oats, that's why mine aren't as much. But that won't matter, as its based on the dry measurement.

If she's using 1.66 cups for 5 serving... one would devide that by 5, not by the recommended serving size. Also, she's not using 1.66 cups, she's using 1.66 servings, so, yes, i can see possibly 50 calories/serving.

The recipe calls for 1.66 cups which is over 6 servings. It's at least 150 cal per serving