No More Snowflakes!!!!

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
I'm so sick of this winter.

Besides a super-high heating bill, I've got a busted water pipe, a crack going across my windshield, a cracked shovel, and a slightly wrenched knee. I think I hit the mother of all potholes this morning and I'm kinda hoping that I'll have air in my tire around lunch time.

What's your damage from the winter weather?

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Totally thought this was going to be about the other kind of snowflakes... the ones that seem to congregate on the forums here.
  • MonsonD60
    MonsonD60 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I so agree.......

Where are you from? Minnesota has had one heck of a winter, not only a lot of snow ( which I enjoy) but we are breaking low temp records that or over 100 yrs old, getting close to 50 days of below zero temps..........enough is enough!
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Agreed..my heating bill is something serious.
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Totally thought this was going to be about the other kind of snowflakes... the ones that seem to congregate on the forums here.

That's what I thought too.

As far as my damage goes, $900 heating bill two months in a row. Wah.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    No "damage" yet, but I'm really afraid of what's gonna happen when it all thaws!! We're gonna be swimmin' in the basement, I think (which is finished off). But, I'm also nervous that I'm gonna catch a pothole pretty soon...and just put 4 new tires on in September.
  • xdinmammasMFPx
    Options
    I'm on the opposite end. Winter here in my part of Sweden was... two weeks. Now all the snow is gone and it's only the beginning of March. Give me snow! Give me -10 degrees Celsius! Gah!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I had to replace a tire a few weeks ago, I've gone through two ice scrapers, broken 1 shovel, bought somewhere between 3-5 pairs of gloves because I keep losing them, I have a huge bruise on my thigh from falling on my *kitten* in the icy parking lot of my gym last week, and paid what feels like the equivalent of Arthur Chu's Jeopardy winnings to the utility company for heat this winter.

My commute has also increased by 10 minutes each way because the road I normally take through the ghetto looks like it's been jack-hammered instead of plowed, so I have to take an alternate route all around the city to get to work until they fill the potholes (which probably won't be until summer, knowing this poor-*kitten* city).

I am DONE!

ETA: I've also missed so much word (unpaid) that my paychecks almost were nonexistent for a few weeks back in Jan./Feb.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Me too. LOL!
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm in Chicago, Polar Vortex and Lake Michigan is at 90% frozen and we have had the coldest and snowiest winter in decades. I'm tired of the layers, the snow, the backbreaking work to dig ourselves out, the shoveling because the snow blower doesn't throw it that high.

Damage: being rear ended $650, heating bill $250 for 3 months, new boots $175, new snowblower $400, frozen pipe plumbing call out $145, lost time at work - priceless... Nevermind the amount of salt we have used, the potential gutter issue when it finally thaws...

GET ME OUT OF HERE!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

lol... no special snowflakes?
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I so agree.......

Where are you from? Minnesota has had one heck of a winter, not only a lot of snow ( which I enjoy) but we are breaking low temp records that or over 100 yrs old, getting close to 50 days of below zero temps..........enough is enough!

yep, Minnesota nice is not so much anymore, I live around the Rochester area, and the roads from the storm a few weeks ago are still bumpy and icy. People aren't so nice anymore... and drifts and snow banks that are taller than semis and the plows on some back roads.

I don't believe spring or summer will ever get here :(

But we have been lucky, just higher heat bills, and going crazy from being trapped inside. I feel for everyone that has had to deal with frozen water pipes and such.
  • jbuck93
    jbuck93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Winter is my favorite season. We are finally getting some good snow in the Northwest and I am over the moon happy. Over the hood champagne powder last Sunday
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    So far, 2 falls, one hurt the back a little, but just a minor set back. My roof is a mess due to an "ice damn" from one of the freeze, thaw, refreeze cycles. (i was lucky with this one as the leak is over my bath tub) The roof has not been looked at to know that this is what has truly happened as its been too crappy for them to get on the roof to check things out. Heating bills have been super high. I didn't open the one that came in the mail yesterday and there was news story that the gas company is raising rates due to the high demand.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Heating bill $800 for two months, husbands car: $1000 to replace snow tires after car swallowing pot hole. Three boosts, two tows and new battery=$500 for my car ( it's not that old either). Two broken shovels and one dislocated shoulder from slipping on black ice.
    Yeah, ain't winter grand?
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    This is the worst winter we've had in this part of PA for a while, i don't remember having snow deep enough or lasting long enough to go sled riding for a long time. There's potholes that look like bomb craters all over the place too. We're using the furnace more this year but we're still running on oil from a few years ago. Sadly our wood burner bit the dust so we're using electric heaters in our rooms. Can't really escape the bills no matter how you heat.
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of snow or winter. That's actually an understatement, I loathe 'em both. I can't really complain, because
    we've had barely any snow at all this year (and I live in Switzerland!). But I'm sick of the cold. I need sunshine and warmth, I miss riding my bike and going for runs, sitting by the lake after a long day at work...
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have heating oil to heat my house and hot water, it sucks big time. $400 for just 100 gallons that will only last 4 weeks and that is keeping the thermostat down and still freezing...not to mention the electric bill on top of that. So, $600 a month to just have elec and heat.

I'm so over it.
  • britt4772
    Options
    I Live in montana, today is the first day above zero.in a week. Im.so.over.it.....being a snow bunny is overated. Im from TEXAS so this is the pits. 600 gas and heating bills, broken snow shovel and I busted my butt taking my husband to.the airport the day he deployed. I still have an awesome.road rash from that last week. Bring on the sun already!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I live in a place that always gets these kinds of winters, so we haven't had to deal with anything too unusual.Granted, -40 in March is lame and not typical but at least we're used to it in the winter (if not normally in March.)

And I live in a high-rise with heat included in my condo fees, so yay for that, at least.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Winter is my favorite season. We are finally getting some good snow in the Northwest and I am over the moon happy. Over the hood champagne powder last Sunday

I also LOVE the snow! I'm in PA and can NEVER get sick of it!:love: