Help me figure out what is healthy?

Options
I'm new to all of this and I'm not sure yet how much I should be eating. I put my information into myfitnesspal (female, 20yrs, 5'5", 130lbs) and it told me to eat 1400 calories/day. But then I saw people talking about BMR and TDEE and mine are 1362 and 1872 respectively. I also know that 1200 calories/day is almost starvation mode. So is 1400 too little? I walk 2-4 miles every day. Yesterday was my first day using the diary and I ate a little less than my average day and that came out to be about 100 under the goal, so it doesn't seem too unreasonable until I start considering that TDEE stuff. Also, if I notice that I'm below my goal at the end of the day, should I try to eat more to meet it or is the actual goal to be under the goal?

I'm only interested in losing about 5lbs total and I don't know if the number that myfitnesspal gives me is maintenance or weight loss.

Replies

• eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and 121 pounds, my calories are 1200 a day and I eat back my cardio calories. Have done this since 2010 and it works. 1400 might be alittle too high but everybody is different and our bodies work in different ways. Try what it says for a while and eat back cardio calories. If it needs adjusting reassess in a few weeks. Good luck!
  • swoffie
    swoffie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just found on my profile that MFP currently has me eating at a 500 calorie deficit which it says will make me lose a lb per week. But two days ago was my brother's birthday so I was over my daily allowance by about 300 calories (still a 200 deficit) and at the end of the day, MFP said I would gradually gain weight eating like that for 5 weeks. I don't understand?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just found on my profile that MFP currently has me eating at a 500 calorie deficit which it says will make me lose a lb per week. But two days ago was my brother's birthday so I was over my daily allowance by about 300 calories (still a 200 deficit) and at the end of the day, MFP said I would gradually gain weight eating like that for 5 weeks. I don't understand?

If you want to figure your TDEE and see what you need to eat to lose, try this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With 5 lb. to lose, set your goal to .5 lb. per week. Trust the system for a few weeks, while you work on logging everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Then reevaluate.

Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just ignore the you will weigh x amount if you eat x amount.

If you calculated your BMR at 1362 then I would say don't eat below this amount. Aim for that on days you don't exercise and then eat back atleast half of your exercise calories on days you work out. Since you only have 5 pounds to lose, 1 pound a week may be a bit too agressive.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Then something must be wrong about the calorie intake allowance. 1400 seems a bit high bc I started MFP at 170 pounds and it only gave me 1200 calories then and has always been 1200 calories. It has worked for years at that calories intake and I have maintained and kept it off.