ALWAYS tired!

Options
I eat roughly 1600 calories a day, I do Jillian MIchaels' 30-Day Shred 5 to 6 days a week, and get 7-8 hours sleep every night. I drink tons of water, try to eat as best as I can throughout the week (I had a cookie last night... first piece of junk food in 2 months), I've cut out wheat, dairy (except greek yogurt, and a very rare small serving of skim milk cheese), and I'm still tired, all day, every day. I have to force myself to exercise instead of taking a nap when I get home from work, where I've spent the whole day struggling to keep my eyes open.

Does anyone have this problem? Or know what could be causing it??

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the energy to fuel your workouts, you should eat more. Just another 150 per day may be all you need. Have you lost 14 lbs in two months? That's awesome.

What happens when you reset your MFP settings to 1 lb. loss per week? or is that your current setting?
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    No, I've lost 11 pounds in two months. My current setting is 1 lb/week. I'll try to eat some more, but frankly, I've never eaten so much in life! It's much healthier/lower calorie foods, but I'm usually full all day.
  • ask your doctor?
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would agree...check in with your doc. MIght be low iron....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would get my iron levels checked...or B12 or other blood work and make sure all is fine.
  • Ketzalitzli
    Ketzalitzli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, get your iron levels checked. That happened to me and I found out I was slightly anemic. Once I started taking iron I snapped out of it and now the only time I get that way is around my lady's time.. Get it checked out and see what's up. Maybe your doctor can also help monitor you while your on your exercise and diet programs.
  • Trixsterfan
    Trixsterfan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was in the same zone, I slightly increased my protein intake and that worked for me:happy:
  • CherylG1983
    Options
    The thing is, I already know I have low B12 and get injections every two weeks, and low iron and take supplements every day. I'll have to go back to the doc I guess. :(
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Cheryl,

As the poster before me said, it sounds like you are not adequately fueling your workouts. If you open your diary, we might be able to give specific feedback.

Besides not eating enough to fuel your workout, perhaps you are not eating the right kinds of foods that give you more energy too. For example, the only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit and the type of food you eat will not aid in weight loss. In other words, you can eat twinkies all day long at a calorie deficit and still lose weight.

However, you can't eat twinkies all day long and expect to have a great workout or to not feel tired or icky from having only sugary food. This is just a silly example I made up, and I understand you don't eat a lot of sweets, but it really rings true.

Are you wheat and lactose intolerant and that is why you cut those things out? Unless you have a medical issue with some food or you are lactose or wheat intolerant, there is no reason to cut any food out. The only things I've cut out are lactose and soy because I'm intolerant to both, and I'm also easy on the sugar and caffeine because I'm a bit sensitive to too much of both. Otherwise, food is food and I eat whatever I want while staying within my calorie allowance.

How's your weight loss going? How many pounds per week are you set to lose? What is your activity level set at?

Oh, and what type of job do you have?
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You might have narcolepsy if your bloodwork is okay. You should talk to your doctor.
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would definitely have your doctor run your blood. Anything from low B12 or iron to a thyroid issue could be the issue. I have too many weird issue to list but when I was generally fatigued last summer, my doctor ran my panel he found I was low in vitamin D.

Now I live in Phoenix so you would think I could get plenty of sun, but in the summer we actually tend to stay out of the sun. The rest of the year I would take my noon walk outside but in the summer, inside and it as enough to drop my vitamin D. I thought nothing of it. So I now know in the summer to supplement vitamin D.

Your case I am sure is different but my point is sometimes a simple blood test can tell you a lot.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Check with your Dr. as soon as you can and ask for blood tests. I'm no doctor but I had the same lack of energy and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Research it and see if any of the symptoms sound like you. After I was put on medication I noticed a boost in energy immediately. Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Cheryl,

I see you answered some questions before I finished my post. :bigsmile: Good luck with the doctor visit. Hopefully you will figure out what's making you feel tired.
  • NuevaNatalia
    NuevaNatalia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How's your thyroid?
  • CherylG1983
    Options
    My diary is open... For some reason, it switches back to private, I have no idea why!

I am lactose intolerant, but I cut out wheat because your body processes it and creates insulin the same way as when you eat sugar. I did it as part of cleanse, was impressed with the "deflation" of my belly, so I decided not to eat it.

I'm aiming for 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. Weight loss is going well, I'm already down a dress size, and I'm very impressed with the difference I'm seeing in my body, AND my strength and endurance.

I have a desk job, but I make it a point to get up once an hour and walk around the office, or go speak to someone instead of sending an email, etc.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough healthy fats such as olive oil in your veggies ( makes the nutrients more absorbable), nuts and nutbutters, avocado, seeds like sunflower and pumpkin and fatty fish such as wild salmon, halibut, sardines and makeral?
    Also I started sublingual vit B12 drops and they really helped with my energy!
    Eat spinach, kale and other leafy greens also.
  • CherylG1983
    Options
    I've never had my thyroid checked. I mentioned it to two different doctors, and they brushed it off and said there was nothing wrong with my thyroid without even checking. I'm going to request specifically for a thyroid test from another doctor. The weight I gained came from nowhere, no change to diet or exercise, which I understand to be a symptom of that.
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    How long have you beeny taking B12 and iron supplements? If it's something new, give it some time to build up in your body.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm anemic and am ALWAYS tired...unless I take supplements on a consistent basis, but I have to be a little patient and wait for the levels to go back to normal.

If you've been taking them for a few months on a consistent basis, talk to your Doctor, you may need to up the dosage.

I also find it difficult to find the motivation to work out and put an effort in to my workouts. Hope you start feeling better soon!
  • CherylG1983
    Options
    Oh gosh, I've been taking those supplements for more than a year. Back to the doc for me... It can't be normal.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Maybe look for a new doctor. It's important to have one that will take your concerns seriously. To me it sounds like hypothyroidism, but of course it could be any number of issues. Several years ago I gained 100lbs with no change in my diet or lifestyle, was so tired I could barely get out of bed, etc and the doctor told me he didn't think he needed to test me because I was too young for hypothyroidism. Turned out I had Hashimoto's. I am chronically deficient in vitamins like B12 and D. If nothing else, it's worth a check to rule it out for you.