Making better food choices?

Options
How can I get myself used to making better food choices? I have a habit of not wanting to eat a lot because I either don't have the time or I'm just not hungry, or I just simply get distracted and forget to eat. O.o But when I do eat, I usually eat junk food. I know its not good for me, but its habit and so enticing. I can't get rid of the junk food because I live with my family and they would be mad at me for throwing it away and I can't really tell them they can't have/buy junk food because I'm on a diet. Basically my question is, how can I get rid of the need to eat junk food all the time and start choosing better food options? ( ._.)

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    With a low weight of 92 pounds and an ultimate goal weight of 85 pounds, I suggest re-evaluating your relationship with food, speaking to a trusted adult and setting reasonable goals.
  • Jchambers1130
    Jchambers1130 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Please eat some of the junk food they bring home.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Personally, I equate eating calories to spending money. I know if I have a budget I have to spend it wisely. Do I want to spend everything on that lovely chocolate cake only to be left with little calories to spend food on and an empty stomach? Or do I want to go the economic route and eat a sweet yogurt that will satisfy my craving and leaving me with calories to eat more later to feel more full?
    I have a mother who loves to make her amazing and unhealthy desserts. They are my ultimate weakness. Whenever she makes some I will either get out of the kitchen or decide to have a tiny portion and dealing with not having more.

My doctor gave me the tip to have one binge day a month. When that day comes you can eat as much of whatever your favorite food is. Even if the calories for that day equates to 3k, that's equivalent to only adding on 100 calories per day for the month.

Also, if you are able to, purchase all the healthy food you need. I know it's especially hard to keep your cravings tame when you have nothing healthy to eat in the house so you think you have no choice but to eat those things. So, make sure there's always something healthy in the house. Also, keep diverse choices around the house for every type of craving. Craving sweet chocolate? Have Weight watchers brownies or chocolate mouse whipped yogurt [or my new favorite, Dole banana dippers covered in dark chocolate and almond pieces]. Craving salty? Have pretzels and hummus around or even saltines.

One more thing. As most will probably say around here: If you're really craving it that bad then have it; in moderation.

Hope that helps! I kind of dumped all of my knowledge about this subject into a huge wall of text :P
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    How can I get myself used to making better food choices? I have a habit of not wanting to eat a lot because I either don't have the time or I'm just not hungry, or I just simply get distracted and forget to eat. O.o But when I do eat, I usually eat junk food. I know its not good for me, but its habit and so enticing. I can't get rid of the junk food because I live with my family and they would be mad at me for throwing it away and I can't really tell them they can't have/buy junk food because I'm on a diet. Basically my question is, how can I get rid of the need to eat junk food all the time and start choosing better food options? ( ._.)

Start lifting weights and going to the gym... When you spend your time and energy trying to get fit you'll have more motivation to eat well and your body will want to eat more often to..

This is just an opinion but 85 is wayyyy to low... Strive for fit, not skinny... Fit is sexy and healthy... Best of both worlds!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Your goal is to lose 30 lbs and be 85lbs. This tells me that you are currently 115 lbs. Unless you're a dwarf, I wouldn't recommend losing any more weight. No offense to any little people out there. :-)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Eat nothing but Oreos for a week. Pretty much any choice made thereafter will be by definition "better."

Good luck.
  • PinkDeath616
    Options
    I'm rather short, so 92 is healthy, even 85 pounds is healthy for my height. -_-
  • PinkDeath616
    Options
    I'm legally considered a midget....
  • PinkDeath616
    Options

Start lifting weights and going to the gym... When you spend your time and energy trying to get fit you'll have more motivation to eat well and your body will want to eat more often to..

This is just an opinion but 85 is wayyyy to low... Strive for fit, not skinny... Fit is sexy and healthy... Best of both worlds!

I don't like muscle. -_- Plus, 85 pounds isn't low for my height. lol
  • PinkDeath616
    Options
    Eat nothing but Oreos for a week. Pretty much any choice made thereafter will be by definition "better."

Good luck.

How is eating Oreos any better? Especially considering my genetic predisposition for Diabetes...

Seriously, I need help on making better food choices. *Not* people telling me how much I should weigh without even knowing what is healthy for my height nor my situation. I'm 4'7"... that is really short, -_-
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options

You wanna weight 85lbs, are you a gnome?
    ok, 4ft7in.... Anyways, you can eat whatever you want just be in a caloric deficit.
  • PinkDeath616
    Options
    Personally, I equate eating calories to spending money. I know if I have a budget I have to spend it wisely. Do I want to spend everything on that lovely chocolate cake only to be left with little calories to spend food on and an empty stomach? Or do I want to go the economic route and eat a sweet yogurt that will satisfy my craving and leaving me with calories to eat more later to feel more full?
    I have a mother who loves to make her amazing and unhealthy desserts. They are my ultimate weakness. Whenever she makes some I will either get out of the kitchen or decide to have a tiny portion and dealing with not having more.

My doctor gave me the tip to have one binge day a month. When that day comes you can eat as much of whatever your favorite food is. Even if the calories for that day equates to 3k, that's equivalent to only adding on 100 calories per day for the month.

Also, if you are able to, purchase all the healthy food you need. I know it's especially hard to keep your cravings tame when you have nothing healthy to eat in the house so you think you have no choice but to eat those things. So, make sure there's always something healthy in the house. Also, keep diverse choices around the house for every type of craving. Craving sweet chocolate? Have Weight watchers brownies or chocolate mouse whipped yogurt [or my new favorite, Dole banana dippers covered in dark chocolate and almond pieces]. Craving salty? Have pretzels and hummus around or even saltines.

One more thing. As most will probably say around here: If you're really craving it that bad then have it; in moderation.

Hope that helps! I kind of dumped all of my knowledge about this subject into a huge wall of text :P

Thank you. ^_^ This was helpful.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

That answers my question then. See, full disclosure is good when looking for accurate answers. It really doens't matter what you eat as long as you have a deficit. If my calculations are right, based on estimates, your TDEE is around 1400 so you should be eating between 1000-1200 a day to lose about a a half a pound a week. Given your size, you probably don't want to lose much faster than that. When it comes to junk food, you'll just have to up your will power and walk away when tempted.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I see you haven't posted much so you may not realize this but there are a lot of folks on there with eating disorders so without knowing your height, the first reaction to your seemlingly severe low weight goal is that you have an eating disorder. Hopefully you can understand that and maybe it would be helpful to post your height somewhere on your profile or mention it in the future if you're looking for advice.

Sure reaching for ready made junk is easier! I'm pretty sure that's one of the issues with the obesity epidemic. Why cook your own food when you can order out, go to the drive thru, etc? No muss, no fuss.

However, there are alternative that can still make your life easy. Planning and prepping are the key to good weeks for me. I take a half hour or so every Saturday morning and think about what I'm going to make for meals for the next 7 days - and I mean all meals, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Then I make a list of everything I need and head to WalMart and the local grocery store. Then I spend part of the day Sunday doing all my prep. Whipping up snacks, cooking oatmeal in the crockpot, making breakfast casserole, etc. Takes me maybe 2 minutes max to pack my food Mon-Fri that way. How much easier can it get?!

So think about it - try to prep and plan as much as you can so the easy to reach for things also include healthy snacks. Carrot sticks, apples, bananas, celery and peanut butter or hummus, etc.

You can do this!
  • PinkDeath616
    Options

That answers my question then. See, full disclosure is good when looking for accurate answers. It really doens't matter what you eat as long as you have a deficit. If my calculations are right, based on estimates, your TDEE is around 1400 so you should be eating between 1000-1200 a day to lose about a a half a pound a week. Given your size, you probably don't want to lose much faster than that. When it comes to junk food, you'll just have to up your will power and walk away when tempted.

Okay. ^_^ Thank you. :)
  • PinkDeath616
    Options
    I see you haven't posted much so you may not realize this but there are a lot of folks on there with eating disorders so without knowing your height, the first reaction to your seemlingly severe low weight goal is that you have an eating disorder. Hopefully you can understand that and maybe it would be helpful to post your height somewhere on your profile or mention it in the future if you're looking for advice.

Sure reaching for ready made junk is easier! I'm pretty sure that's one of the issues with the obesity epidemic. Why cook your own food when you can order out, go to the drive thru, etc? No muss, no fuss.

However, there are alternative that can still make your life easy. Planning and prepping are the key to good weeks for me. I take a half hour or so every Saturday morning and think about what I'm going to make for meals for the next 7 days - and I mean all meals, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Then I make a list of everything I need and head to WalMart and the local grocery store. Then I spend part of the day Sunday doing all my prep. Whipping up snacks, cooking oatmeal in the crockpot, making breakfast casserole, etc. Takes me maybe 2 minutes max to pack my food Mon-Fri that way. How much easier can it get?!

So think about it - try to prep and plan as much as you can so the easy to reach for things also include healthy snacks. Carrot sticks, apples, bananas, celery and peanut butter or hummus, etc.

You can do this!

Sorry. I didn't think much about what people thought of my weight goals and that i may seem like I have an Eating Disorder. XD

(Sorry anybody if I caused you confusion. >.<)

And thank you. I will try and start planning my meals and such. :)
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Snooki (Jersey Shore) is the same height as you.

She should be someone you should aspire to be at your height, she proves that you can be healthy & fit at the short short range.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2382120/Inside-Snookis-50lb-weight-loss-Jersey-Shore-star-flexes-muscles-shows-slim-figure-shares-workout-tips-fans.html

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/snooki-s-home-workout

You should research some more, maybe get in contact with a personal trainer and or dietitian to help you out if you have a bad relationship with food (hopefully you do not).

You should not be afraid of muscle because muscles are healthy! It will help you become skinnier and you will feel strong which I'm sure would feel amazing since I'm sure you get teased for being short. Why not be strong and prove them wrong?

At your weight, age & height with a "lightly active" activity level you should be eating a NET calorie number of around 1,300 calories. If you want to gain muscle you should be eating anywhere from 1500 - 1800 calories. Just some numbers off the top of hand. However you should really seek the advice of a professional or someone here on the board who can help you obtain healthy muscle gains & eating habits.

It's not hard, it's not rocket science, it does require patience and hard work.

You can do it. Mind > Matter

-bxd
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    OP:
    My fault. I was thrown off with the highest weight vs. ultimate goal weight in your profile and was not expecting such a shortie and I should of asked your height before typing my response. :flowerforyou: I do stick to setting reasonable goals.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You have to find ways to make good options at least as accessible and easy to choose than bad options. Having good, fresh food already prepared and ready to grab can really help. Just doing things like having carrot sticks, grapes, whatever you like already washed and in the refrigerator will increase the likelihood that you'll reach for those instead of junk. (I personally hate the term "junk food," because it's all just food, but you know what I mean).

It looks like you're mostly vegetarian, is that right? There are a ton of good veggie options that are easy to grab and will give you some good nutrition -- string cheese, individual yogurt cups, carrots with hummus, stuff like that. It seems like you're getting a lot of your calories from peanut butter, and there are some days where it looks like you pretty much only ate peanut butter. What's going on there? Peanut butter is a good source of veggie protein and fat, but on its own it just doesn't have enough volume to fill up your stomach. Could it be as simple as you wanting to eat things that are less healthy because you're just hungry?
  • PinkDeath616
    Options
    You have to find ways to make good options at least as accessible and easy to choose than bad options. Having good, fresh food already prepared and ready to grab can really help. Just doing things like having carrot sticks, grapes, whatever you like already washed and in the refrigerator will increase the likelihood that you'll reach for those instead of junk. (I personally hate the term "junk food," because it's all just food, but you know what I mean).

It looks like you're mostly vegetarian, is that right? There are a ton of good veggie options that are easy to grab and will give you some good nutrition -- string cheese, individual yogurt cups, carrots with hummus, stuff like that. It seems like you're getting a lot of your calories from peanut butter, and there are some days where it looks like you pretty much only ate peanut butter. What's going on there? Peanut butter is a good source of veggie protein and fat, but on its own it just doesn't have enough volume to fill up your stomach. Could it be as simple as you wanting to eat things that are less healthy because you're just hungry?

That may be it because all it does is taste good and doesn't make me full. >.< I just have a major addiction to peanut butter (I'm trying to cut it out because its using up too much calories and making me go way over my limit).