Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    JOs86ke.gif
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Whatever, I'm still having an 8 oz steak for dinner.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Ok so I skimmed through it. You have no idea what other problems these people over 50 had to contribute to their heath issues. The study conveniently leaves out all that crap to purposely blame protein. They probably just want to lower the killing rate of animals.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Whatever, I'm still having an 8 oz steak for dinner.

Damn right!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    JOs86ke.gif

Definitely this!!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Because it's a peer reviewed article...

Mental illness and vegetarian/ vegan lifestyle...http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3466124/#!po=0.270270
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You already know i eat meat and egg like everyday
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Also, diets high in animal protein were protective in people over 65 in the article linked by the OP...

Because bone/ skeletal muscle health.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Inaccurate title for this article once your read the whole thing.

Not even sure why I continued reading after this one...
    However, nutrition experts have cautioned that it's too early to draw firm conclusions from the research.

This one almost ended it for me - wait until your old and frail THEN start eating protein when all of a sudden magically, high protein diets help you live longer. WUT?
    Instead, it suggests people should eat a low-protein diet until old age when they start to lose weight and become frail, and then boost the body's protein intake to stay healthy.

Then I was glad I kept reading - actual logical sense!
    Teasing out the health effects of individual nutrients is notoriously difficult. The apparently harmful effects of a high-protein diet might be down to one or more other substances in meat, or driven by lifestyle factors that are more common in regular red meat eaters versus vegetarians. Other factors can skew results too: a person on the study who got ill might have gone off their food, and seen a proportional rise in the amount of calories they get from protein. In that case, it would be the illness driving the diet, not the other way round.

"I would urge general caution over observational studies, and particularly when looking at diet, given the difficulties of disentangling one nutrient or dietary component from another. You can get an association that might have some causal linkage or might not," said Peter Emery, head of nutrition and dietetics at King's College London.

Gunter Kuhnle, a food nutrition scientist at Reading University, said it was wrong "and potentially even dangerous" to compare the effects of smoking with the effect of meat and cheese as the study does.

"Sending out [press] statements such as this can damage the effectiveness of important public health messages. They can help to prevent sound health advice from getting through to the general public. The smoker thinks: 'why bother quitting smoking if my cheese and ham sandwich is just as bad for me?'"

Heather Ohly at the European Centre for Environment and Human Health in Exeter said: "Smoking has been proven to be entirely bad for us, whereas meat and cheese can be consumed in moderation as part of a healthy diet, contributing to recommended intakes of many important nutrients."
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    ibde sun krdrejm saqdk dffres knh.... sorry had too much bacon grease on my fingers and they kept sliding off the right keys....
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    Oops, guess I am dying young then :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eating steak and dairy is as harmful as smoking? Give me a break ....

if this is true, then I am screwed...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I'm not even bothering to open an article on the Guardian's website about nutrition.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I'm not even bothering to open an article on the Guardian's website about nutrition.

^^

Bingo.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eating steak and dairy is as harmful as smoking? Give me a break ....

if this is true, then I am screwed...

then I am 2x screwed I have yet to quit smoking and I as my husband says..."you are a protien ho" (with a nastier word) :laugh:

difference between those who eat protien and die young and those who don't and die old...we die happier...with bacon
  • michael300891
    Options
    Havnt bothered to read the article. Five reasons why its bull**** of the top of my head:

- Almost certainly a correlational study: Thus no cause and effect established

- Almost certainly based on retrospective or prospective recall - Which is useless for even energy intake, let alone macronutrient intake

- Probably doesn't adequately account for confounding factors such as the additional consumption of vegetables with plant protein, and typically better 'lifestyles' - even attempts to do so will be useless because it will all be prospective recall at best

- Probably written by a journalist who has no actual understanding of the underlying science and taken the study completely out of context

- Almost certainly features a dramatic quote from a scientist working in a completely different lab in a different part of the world who had nothing what soever to do with the study and even still with their comments taken out of context.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    No agenda here. The real problem is them believing people are incapable of thinking and doing actual research......they're living in a world before the internet and 3 channels on the TV.
    "People need to switch to a diet where only around nine or ten percent of their calories come from protein, and the ideal sources are plant-based," Longo told the Guardian.
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Not giving up my chicken and steak. :bigsmile: