How many calories per day to lose 4-5lbs a week

Options
Hello everyone!

I have a question, how many calories would I have to eat if I wanted to lose, lets say 5 lbs a week with one hour of exercising on a stationary bike. I am not planning to lose this much in a week, I just would like to know, I really don't know how to calculate it. Also, how many calories would you burn on a stationary bike for one hour? my RPM is usually around 110..

Replies

• jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use a stationary bike every day. If you aim for 500 Calories on it. I base time as 10 calories per minute, so 100 is 10 , 500 is 50 minutes. I give myself 1 hour. A 2000 calorie deficit is required for 4lbs which is what ive been doing for the last 8 weeks, HOWEVER, people on here dont recommend it... (But it Works :) )
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    1lb=3500 caloires

so 4lbs = 14000 calorie deficet
    so 5lbs = 17,500 calorie deficet

How much you need to eat we can't say as we don't know your stats...

As for your burns can't say we don't know your stats
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    4-5 is fast. And will most likely be water and a lot of muscle if acheived. 1-2 a week is a good goal.

Exceptions for very large people.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    hmm...... that is a lot of weight to lose in a week.. hmmmm.
  • monkey456778
    Options
    I use a stationary bike every day. If you aim for 500 Calories on it. I base time as 10 calories per minute, so 100 is 10 , 500 is 50 minutes. I give myself 1 hour. A 2000 calorie deficit is required for 4lbs which is what ive been doing for the last 8 weeks, HOWEVER, people on here dont recommend it... (But it Works :) )

what do you mean a 2000 calorie is a deficit? does that mean I have to eat 400 calories a day to lose 4lbs a week?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

what do you mean a 2000 calorie is a deficit? does that mean I have to eat 400 calories a day to lose 4lbs a week?

Your deficet is defined by your stats.

Stats being height, weight, age, goal weight etc.
  • monkey456778
    Options
    I have stated I AM NOT going to do this, im just curious to know, that's all...I just want to know how many calories would you need to eat a day to lose 5 lbs a week...I don't understand this 1700 calorie deficit thing
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    nm
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    that is way too high a goal for safe weight loss. I have no idea of your current weight or height etc but a guidline would be 2 pounds a week if you are the obese end of the scale, if you have only a small amount to lose 1/2 a pound a week may well be the realistic thing to avoid muscle loss and stay healthy. there are loads of calculators out there (and one here as well) that will let you figure out some important info
    TDEE - what you need to eat in Calories to maintain your weight based on your activity level
    BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - the only true number would be done by a doctors test but calculators may be close - it is what your body burns if you were to just sleep for 24 hours

BMI will tell you if you are overweight or obese

to lose 2 pounds a week you need to consume 1000 calories less than your TDEE (which needs to include the activity so if you base your TDEE on Sedentary then you need to add in all calories burned through exercise) - For me sedentary lose 2 pounds a week comes in at 1220 but I actually eat 15-1600 to offset the exercise i get daily
  • jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What is your maintence level in calories ? I.e to not gain or lose? If you dont know use a calculator - http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
    Then add the calories you burn on to that figure EG 2400 Maintenance + 500 Exercise = 2900
    2900- 2000 Defecit so 900 calories to eat.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have stated I AM NOT going to do this, im just curious to know, that's all...I just want to know how many calories would you need to eat a day to lose 5 lbs a week...I don't understand this 1700 calorie deficit thing
    there is no answer without the stats you are just trolling then
    have a good life
  • monkey456778
    Options
    can someone please just give me a simple reply on how many calories to eat a day to lose 5 lbs a week
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    can someone please just give me a simple reply on how many calories to eat a day to lose 5 lbs a week
    Not without knowing your height weight and activity level.

Rigger
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No. We are not going to help you with an eating disorder.
  • monkey456778
    Options
    Not without knowing your height weight and activity level.

Rigger

my height is 5 ft 7 and weight is 230 lbs..
  • monkey456778
    Options

No. We are not going to help you with an eating disorder.

Im just curious to know that's all, I never said I will do it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    nm
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 700-1000 calories depending on exercise, and likely in the hospital in very short order. Hopefully this satisfies your curiosity, and don't try it, you'll have a heart attack or stroke out, literally.

Rigger
  • monkey456778
    Options
    Somewhere between 700-1000 calories depending on exercise, and likely in the hospital in very short order. Hopefully this satisfies your curiosity, and don't try it, you'll have a heart attack or stroke out, literally.

Rigger

Thank you, and no, I will NOT be doing it, if anyone doesn't believe me, fine.
This discussion has been closed.