Rowing Advice for Absolute Newbie

Options
We just came into possession of a Concept2 rowing machine. I did my first workout last night and loved the low impact and the combo of cardio/resistance. I work in a home office, so this is a good way for me to get up during the day form the desk and just do 10 minutes to combat being so sedentary while I work. Also, living in the midwest, my preferred outdoor walks and bike rides have disappeared over this horrible winter, and this will fill the gap.

My question is (for someone who is really out of shape and starting from square one on anything except walking and biking), does anyone have any tips on how to start? Has anyone started from pretty out of shape on a rowing machine and worked up to a more intense level, and if so, do you have any suggestions? I read that longer times at moderate/comfortable intensity is best for weight loss, which is my first goal. Right now, I can comfortably row 10 minutes...possibly 15. I was thinking that I would just start with 10 minutes 3-4 times a day 4 days a week, then each day try to add a minute to each. Once I can go 30 minutes, then increasing intensity.

For those who know this stuff, does that sounds right?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Once you reach 30 minutes, increase the resistance/tension.

Edit: the goal is to work harder, not longer.
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me! I started rowing a few months ago, but I am in the military and was being forced into it, so was forced for an hour at a time. I don't recommend that because my forearms took time to adjust and huuurt something fierce. I was also forced into sprints and longer periods of rowing than an absolute beginner should probably do. I suggest doing distances. Do your normal ten minutes, then track how many meters you got. Then next time try for a little farther. Maybe add 100 meters a week? Or whatever feels comfortable.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome plan. Remember that your form counts and if you're not doing it right you wont be as comfortable and you won't see the benefits. I'd look on youtube for great videos. You can PM me if you want. I rowed (on the water) in high school and use the rower tons at the gym.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I second looking up how to have good form while rowing. If you have good form, it can be a really great full body workout. You do activate different muscles at different times (I used to row...now I have no water!).

We use to practice 2K and 5K on the machine for individual times. The better your form, the further you'll go per pull (if your machine is tracking meters).

Sounds like a good plan to work yourself into it. Just be careful you're taking care of your back, shoulders, and wrists.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Really the best place to start is getting your technique sorted out - an indoor rower is one of the best machines working virtually the whole body but also one of the most abused by people who don't have a clue how to row.

The Concept2 website is worth exploring - http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

Keep your stroke rate down and focus on doing it properly, if you do a set distance like 2000m you will easily see how you progress.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a rower. IMO, if you are just starting on the C2, break down your workouts into intervals--not high intensity yet--just intervals (start with 5x500 or whatever you need to get to your total time). You won't get bored as quickly this way and if you give yourself 1 one minute break between each interval fatigue won't impact your form. Form is extremely important and will impact the power in your stroke once you get used to rowing.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your rowing. I too have started rowing each morning before my workouts as an extra calorie burner. I try to do 5x300 meter rows at a moderate pace, trying to build up my momentum, as I burn out easily when it is included in the workouts and I have to go faster, so working on my pace and cardio
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Like any other fitness program....if you're out of shape think baby steps, don't overdo the intensity (our own enthusiasm is often our worst enemy) and build up gradually. Focus on developing proper form (check out the C2 website and/or youtube).

I would also encourage you to make use of the resources on Concept2's website & online log book. They have training tips, offer "workout of the day" items (beginner through advanced) and challenges / awards to help keep your motivation up (a little OT but I suspect that if treadmill makers looked at how C2 wors there would be far fewer TMs being used as expensive laundry racks.)
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Especially for the tips on form. I have watched the C2 videos on YouTube now, and I actually have a friend who rowed in college who said they would come over this weekend and see if I had it right. I definitely do not want to injure myself because I don't know what I'm doing!

Just finished another 10 minutes and did it slow to concentrate on form while watching the video. You really do feel a difference when you get the steps right. When I do not lean back at the end, I don't feel it at all in my core. When I lean even a little bit, concentrating on keeping my back straight, what a difference!
  • yuckyellow
    yuckyellow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been using a workout plan called "Pete's Beginner Plan". This plan is pretty popular among new rowers on the Concept 2 forums. This is a 24 week plan, so it is long! I am up to week 6 of the plan, and I am impressed with my progress so far. Like others said form is very important. After week 2 I had some low back pain, so I took a week off. When I started back, I concentrated on maintaining a straight back, which has allowed me to stay on track without experiencing any more back issues.

http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/
  • katiemegcz
    katiemegcz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been using a workout plan called "Pete's Beginner Plan". This plan is pretty popular among new rowers on the Concept 2 forums. This is a 24 week plan, so it is long! I am up to week 6 of the plan, and I am impressed with my progress so far. Like others said form is very important. After week 2 I had some low back pain, so I took a week off. When I started back, I concentrated on maintaining a straight back, which has allowed me to stay on track without experiencing any more back issues.

http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

I cannot thank you enough!! This is perfect!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I used to row in college and spent many many hours and meters on the ergs in our Midwestern winters. :) I made it into the 1 million meter club.
    You've gotten some pretty good advice so far, but I'll add:

Keep track of your "split" times in terms of minutes per 500 meters. The stroke rate (usually between 24-30) tells you how many strokes per minute you take, but your split time reflects how much force you're exerting and should be your gauge for improvement. For example, today you might be able to do a 2k at a 3:00 minute split, so aim to get that down to 2:45, and so on. (College rowing for women we'd aim to be well under a 2 minute split for a 2k, for reference).

Don't jack the resistance up to 10, literally every person at the gym I see using the erg think resistance needs to be at 10, but without proper form you are sure to tweak your lower back and it really isn't necessary. I prefer to keep mine in the 5 to 7 range, particularly for longer sessions.

The concept 2 website does have ideas for erg workouts, and I suggest looking at those for ideas. Rowing is a terrific workout if done correctly. Good luck!
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    Congratulations on acquiring a concept 2 - they are great machines!

I second/third/... The advice above - be sure to focus on good form while you are starting out. And check out the concept 2 forums - lots of very experienced and helpful people there. And just build up gradually. When I first started, I was very out of shape, and even 10 minutes was a killer - but now I comfortably do 40 minutes in the morning, or intervals with my trainer at the gym, less than 3 months later. It's a great workout, and I find it very relaxing too!

Have fun! :smile:
  • floppybackend
    floppybackend Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We've got one too and hubby is amazing on it while I'm just a beginner.

Best advise is to start slow and easy, dont follow C2 plan I found it too hard and then dreaded going on it.

I'm on it again and have built up I row 10mins at 24m/s on no.5 so that I can still talk but not out of breath.

Now I do 10mins gentle warmup and do sprints on resistance so no.9, no5, no2 all as fast as I can and for as long as I can this is supposed to be the best way of building up heart strength - total time 25mins. I will stop to gulp water.

I agree form is important and there are videos on the C2 website worth a view,