Lent anyone?

Options
msthang444
msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
I'm not even Catholic, but every year I try to give something up for Lent. I figure it can't hurt. I have previously given up popcorn, pizza, Pepsi....

This year I'm going to try something new. I'm going to give up red meat and chicken. I'm gonna try to do shrimp, fish, crab, etc.
AND give up Pepsi and chocolate. (my two biggest vices)

Replies

• bostonfit
    bostonfit Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up cheese and bread. Bye bye pizza! :(
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I'm not even Catholic, but every year I try to give something up for Lent. I figure it can't hurt. I have previously given up popcorn, pizza, Pepsi....

This year I'm going to try something new. I'm going to give up red meat and chicken. I'm gonna try to do shrimp, fish, crab, etc.
    AND give up Pepsi and chocolate. (my two biggest vices)

Yes, I'd like to join in ...
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually give up something, but I went in the opposite direction last year. I made a positive change for 40 days instead. Change is hard just like giving up something is hard, so I feel like I'm still doing my part.
  • VintagePhoenix
    Options
    I'm giving up giving up
  • Candela16
    Candela16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely won't hurt. But FYI, Catholics only give up red/chicken meats on Fridays and tomorrow (Ash Wednesday). I guess if you do it for the whole 40 days it will definitely help you reach your goals. I will give up any bread/flour related items like waffles, pancakes, cookies, cakes and crackers. Ugh! I know it will be tough!
  • kimmieb2u
    kimmieb2u Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic either, but I've done it in years past. Approximately 40 days before Easter I would give up something to honor God and spend extra time in prayer and Bible reading. He delivered me from Pepsi addiction one year. Every time I've done it, I have come away closer to God and "revived". I'm thinking about giving up bread, rice & pasta this year. I don't just do it for Fridays but for every day until the end. Although it may be good for my body, I choose to do it to benefit my soul.
  • msthang444
    Options
    seee..... i thought about that too (a positive change)... my husband has been trying to get me to do 500 abs with him everyday and i just keep fighting it. Maybe for 40 days I could do it, huh?
  • msthang444
    Options
    Although it may be good for my body, I choose to do it to benefit my soul.

I looove that ;)
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    I am giving up 1 hr a morning to my workouts :) It won't be easy, but its not suppose to be :)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up chewing gum. I've started chewing it enough that this will be a sacrifice to me especially since it takes my mind off of how long and sucky my drive home from work is. This is a sacrifice, I'm not giving up something that is bad for me, I'm giving up something that I'll seriously miss.
  • Movinitthroughdance
    Options
    I'm giving up eating lunch out during the work week. I don't eat out every day but when I do I know I eat more calories than I would if I had made my lunch at home. This is two-fold for me. I will eat better over the next 40 days by making a healthy lunch at home and the money I will save I will be donating to a charity.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    In high school, I gave up religion, and I'm still going strong with that Lent resolve.

Seriously, though, whatever increases your motivation, go for it.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up bread again this year... this is a very hard thing for me to do... but it does help me... I'm also going to work out each day even if its just going for a short walk.. I'm doing things to better my self..
  • DFasso23
    DFasso23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. It hurts me to say this but I don't need it (I crave it). That includes Chocolate chip cookies (OH BOY).
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious either, but my bf and I are giving up alcohol for lent :)

I'm pretty excited about it!
  • amyjane_lee
    Options
    I'm also not catholic, but have decided to give up chocolate, sweets, cakes, etc to try and kickstart weight loss! Just have no idea how I'm going to make myself stick to it!
  • 2knowmeis2luvme
    Options
    I'm going to give up cheese! Cheese and salad dressings are my number one enemies. I wish I were strong enough to do both...but I don't want to hurt anyone...lol
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Have fun.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up beets. I have a feeling it will stick.