How much protein a day should I aim for?

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Okay- I am going to go against the normal internet practices of making this long winded and extremely convoluted.

READ the posts above. Tell me that the claim that started this whole side conversation was 1) accurate or 2) helpful. Then do me a favor and put down FLEX magazine which is telling you this bull about Gluconeogenesis so you purchase one of their advertiser's new blend of Casein Protien and read about this on a reputable medical/health website. A good place to start would be the Mayo Clinic's website or even about.com.

On another note- I did not graduate Sloth Astronaut School to be questioned on my accuracy. Thank you.

He totes gets all his info from FLEX.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Gluconeogenesis is not a process that includes exclusively protien. Plus, you do not get affected by it unless you are hypoglycemic. Gluconeogenesis is just our body's defense mechanism against low blood sugar. Also, does not target protien as much as other fatty acids.

Strong post! Must be your MO.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Don't take extra protein, you don't need it. If you are just trying to lose weight, the extra protein that you would take in would be turned to carbs and FAT.

This could not be any more false. ^

You typically want 1 gram per pound body weight, but since you're just starting out, aim for your goal weight -- in this case, 135g. As you get leaner, you will need more.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Over 9000.