Saturated fat, eat or don't eat?

Options
124»

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Thank-you. I believe next time someone gives me advice on weight loss, I'm gong to ask them where did they read/hear that. Maybe the old sayin holds true. "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and 10, oh, nevermind, I can't remember the old saying!LOL

Not sure there is a saying for it...(besides confirmation bias). Just remember to be skeptical of things that matter(not enough time in the world to be skeptical of everything). If you believe something to be true you should be just as wary as something you don't.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    Depends on you, some people do better on higher fats and even saturated fats (I'm one of them) and some don't.

As for health related issues, it's bunk. New research shows saturated fats do not contribute to heart disease and can actually prevent them.

Ultimately, there's no such thing as one size fits all on any diet. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise has no clue what they are talking about. (personal trainers are notoriously bad at this)

Find what works best for you and run with it.
    "Focusing on an elevated blood cholesterol concentration as the exclusive cause of coronary heart disease is unquestionably the worst medical error of our time."

There is some truth to this statement. The National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) basically controls statin intervention and in conjunction with Get With The Guidlines that showed that lower LDL levels are needed to prevent heart related events increased the eligibility of patients that would warrant statin intervention. Over night the income from statins went from 15 billion to 23 billion when LDL was lowered as an acceptable level in 2005. Currently 130 is acceptable, 100 is for patients with existing metabolic markers and 70 for high risk patients. This is going lower and we'll see 100 as acceptable 70 as normal and high risk will be in the 40's.........When this happens the demographic for administering stains will include quite a bit more children than now and pretty much the whole population will qualify...........most of the world according to these guidelines would need to be on statins considering most of the world have higher Cholesterol levels than in the USA, but strangely enough with no where near the same amount of CVD. I won't get into the politics of this considering the chair of the committee of NCEP, Dr. Fonarow also does research for Abbott, AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, Merck, Pfizer and Schering Plough and is remunerated for it. Later.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Update: Got my labs done today. Been doing LCHF for 50 days. My macros are 20% Carbs, 20% Protein & 60% Fat, with no limit on saturated vs. unsaturated, and my median saturated fat intake is 47g per day.

This is the result:

Total cholesterol: 251 -> 216
    LDL 211 -> 141
    HDL 40 -> 45
    Triglycerides 468 -> 151
    VLDL 94 -> 30

Also:
    A1C 11.9 -> 7.1
    Liver Enzymes AST/SGOT 215 -> 33 (15-37 is normal)
    Liver Enzyme ALT/SGPT 203 -> 66 (12-78 is normal)

Edit: I still have not started an exercise regimen. I have lost 12 pounds.