Who plans their day out?

Options

Replies

• sschneid110
    sschneid110 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have started to plan at least 3 days ahead. With 2 kids and a busy schedule, I start on Sunday prepping and preparing meals for the next 3 days and then the leftovers become lunches to take to work. This also helps with our food budget and allows me to purchase more heathful foods with out feeling like I am breaking the bank. But I also have room to come home and say "ya not feeling that tonight" and toss something else together that is more to what I might be craving. I love to cook and that it a passion of mine so I like having a guideline but then can let the creativity flow when I want to.
  • KarlyK929
    KarlyK929 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually plan out what I'm eating for the day in the morning as I'm getting ready. It has helped me tremendously, as I can see what my day looks like and add/subtract things here or there to make sure I meet my goals.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I plan my food for the day most days. It's the exercise that varies. Generally I'll exercise to cover the calories I consume. I plan lighter or heavier days around the type of exercise day I'm planning (long run, rest day, just weights, recovery run) but I usually have to tweak slightly.
  • lbarbosa87
    lbarbosa87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I plan 50% of my meals and the other 50% is pretty spontaneous but I always try to be cautious of what I am eating during those meals. How about trying to plan out only your lunch? Which meal do you see your self over eating in? If i were you I would figure out what meal is the highest calorie meal you are eating and then start to pre plan that meal. Another option since you are in college, is to make easy to go breakfast options. Like greek yogurt and a piece of fruit, a protein shake and a piece of fruit, boiled eggs and fruit. These are all easy to go items when you leave for class in the morning. Then for lunch if you see yourself maybe going to the cafeteria too often lunch might be the one that you have to pre-plan. Make yourself a sandwich and have a side of veggies with hummus. A cup of soup with half a sandwich and piece of fruit. At dinner time you might have time to make something quick and easy it might be best to pre-make some turkey patties and have it with a big salad. I hope these ideas help.

If your only option is the cafeteria just take a mental note of what they have there and pre-plan in the MFP what your calories would look like based on your choices. If your cafeteria has menus you could take home that would be great because you will know ahead of time what your choices will be.
    Good luck!
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I most certainly do plan it out every morning. .as some others said I don't have a problem eating the same thing alot and also I sometimes have to tweet it a bit in case something comes up.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Preparing is the key to success for the ones that struggle.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    I plan my days out. It makes it so much easier and takes the thought out of it. I check the meal, eat what is listed and move on with my day. The preparation that is done on Sunday night, ensures that i'm eating healthy during the week when I don't have as much time. As a creature of habit, I eat a lot of the same things on a daily basis. Planning really is one of the keys to success.
  • Scubaru19
    Scubaru19 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't plan out each day individually, that is too restrictive for me and it tends to end with me throwing in the towel and rebelling. I can't eat the same thing for any particular meal day after day, I get too bored, but I have found something that works for me. I make a menu for the week and like a restaurant menu, each meal has a few options. Each menu is for a week, that way I don't get tired of a particular food. Each meal option has protein, fiber, and calorie guidelines. I then shop for what I need to made all these meals in advance, and like others, I spend a few hours on Sunday prepping each one. Doing this makes me feel like I have the freedom of choice in a controlled setting. It also allows me to work around different schedules and all I have to do it put what items I choose that day into my lunch bag and off I go.

This week's menu has the following options:
    Breakfast-protein shake and fruit; yogurt and oatmeal; or protein shake and cereal.
    AM Snack-veggies and peanut butter; yogurt with fruit
    Lunch- Quinoa Mac&Cheese; mini pizza with salad
    Dinner-meat w/veggies; enchiladas and salad
    PM Snack-Chocolate pudding, ice cream with fruit

It also helps me from 'forgetting' to take my lunch to work and then needing to go out. I also have a few dietary restrictions, so this way I know I won't be eating something I regret later. This also works well if you are trying to keep within a budget, because even cooking with moderately expensive ingredients, it's still cheaper than eating out and it also helps me eliminate food waste at home.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I do plan my weekly dinners and weekend lunches every Sunday before I grocery shop. Honestly it saves me a lot of stress and probably binging by being able to just go home and make something rather than taxing my willpower.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Sunday evenings I pretty much know what I'm going to be eating (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks & protein) for the next week, Mon - Fri, and I pre-log it all. I leave holes for extra snacks or "beverages" but for the most part I know in advance everything I'm going to eat. On the weekends I just log as I go.

It works for me. I don't find it restrictive at all. I still eat all the things I like and want. I just plan ahead so I know they'll all fit and I know where I have room for the unplanned cookie or bag of chips if the mood strikes me.
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a planner. I'm a planner because my budget is tight. I set up meal plans for the week - but don't stick with daily assignment to give myself a bit of flexibility. I'm lucky that I don't get bored with the meals that I am accustomed to. I had a roommate once that really needed a variety - more food was wasted than I like in that scenario. I also plan for meals out - if there is a special event and I know where I will be dining - I will go on-line and check out the menu with nutritional guidelines so that I come to the table armed with the knowledge I need to stick with an eating plan that benefits me.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    On Sunday I prepare all my food for the week except dinners, I pre package everything and place it in the fridge so I don't have to do anything once I get home from work!
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I try to make it a point to plan my day out, I find it's a lot easier to stay within my calories when I plan it out and portion my foods right. I like to eat spontaneously too, but that only ends up with weight gain for me :(
  • erin6989
    erin6989 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    On Sunday, before I grocery shop, I plan all the dinners for the week and post them to the menu board in my kitchen. This way I know ahead of time if anything needs to be prepped the night before or in the morning. Added benefit: when I get home from work tired and cranky, I usually realize that cooking whatever I had planned will be faster than waiting for delivery anyhow!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't but I can see why many people do. I think if I lived alone I would but when you live with other people I tend to find it very hard because the planned meals end up falling through a lot in this house because people change their minds what they want.

I kinda just try and eat breakfeast and lunch then plan my portions for dinner accordingly.
  • askewcr
    askewcr Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am spontaneous and that's why mu success isn't that great. I am encouraged.
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I plan a week in advance & log all that I can. It's so much easier & less time consuming!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm so spontaneous so it's hard for me to plan any meals ahead of time (especially since I'm at college), but I'm wondering if anyone plans out their meals ahead of time. Does it work for you or do you find it too restricting?

I do mine before I go to bed. I'll take food with me wherever I'm going. Sometimes it doesn't work out but one meal won't make you fat etc.
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use the diary to help with meal planning for the family. I log in the details ahead of time, put them into the family meal plan, then order the groceries I need to make all the meals each week. I find it a lot easier and it is saving me hundreds of $$$ each month on groceries. We don't always stick 100% to the plan, but we know that what is on the meal plan for the week, is all that is available to eat. We swap days around depending on mood. I find picking one dish from each cuisine each week helps keep it interesting. It's been working for the last 2 months, so looks like this plan is here to stay.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals too, along with the type of workout I'll be doing. If it's a rest day then I know what my calorie goal is for that day. If it's a workout day then I know to plan for the extra calories throughout the day instead of trying to cram peanut butter in me at the end of the day. i'd rather spend a couple of hours on the weekend getting everything prepped then find myself scrambling to stay on point at the last second. Helps keep me mellow.