Can't jog due to shin splints - help please!

Options
Hello.

I would love to be able to jog/run to be able to lose weight quicker (as it seems to be what EVERYONE suggests for the quickest way to burn calories) but I get shin splints after about 1 minute of jogging.

I have changed my trainers so I know it's not my shoes. I get it both outside on different terrains as well as on the treadmill in the gym. I've tried stretching before hand as well. It doesn't even seem to matter what speed it's on: whether I'm jogging or running, they begin after around a minute.

I've been told by everyone not to run through them as it just makes it worse and gets to the point where I can't anyway. Any ideas what I'm possibly doing wrong or can do to improve this?

Replies

• Mrsred09
    Mrsred09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I too am prone to shin splints, but have found a few things that help. Try starting off really slow and for short periods of time. Try running 15 seconds, walking 45 seconds and repeat for 30 minutes. Keep doing this and slowly add time to the run portion. I used to be able to run no more than 30 seconds without being in pain and now run pain free with a 4 min run/1 min walk intervals for 45 minutes. Also, you may want to try compression sleeves as they can help too.
  • emmajones1291
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea!

I started the Couch to 5k but even those runs proved to be too much for my legs.
    I'll have to look into the compression sleeves as well.

Very hard to build up any stamina or improve my breathing when I can't run for more than a minute.

Thanks for your help!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I would love to be able to jog/run to be able to lose weight quicker (as it seems to be what EVERYONE suggests for the quickest way to burn calories) but I get shin splints after about 1 minute of jogging.

I have changed my trainers so I know it's not my shoes. I get it both outside on different terrains as well as on the treadmill in the gym. I've tried stretching before hand as well. It doesn't even seem to matter what speed it's on: whether I'm jogging or running, they begin after around a minute.

I've been told by everyone not to run through them as it just makes it worse and gets to the point where I can't anyway. Any ideas what I'm possibly doing wrong or can do to improve this?

In my experience shin splints go away with continued use of said shins. Just keep going, drink plenty of fluids and perhaps stick your legs in a bucket of ice cold water for 5 min after "jogging". Oh and try to run so the middle of your foot hits the ground on each stride, not your toe or heel.

Also, when you say "trainers" do you mean personal trainer or running shoes. Just because you changed them, doesn't mean they are the right ones for your feet or gait.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you new to exercise? If so, slow it waaaaaaaaaay down and start with just walking. You're probably trying to do too much too soon. Once you've got the distance covered with walking, then try something like c25k.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Calf Stabilizers.

Rigger
  • stephenryan758
    stephenryan758 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the elliptical. Start using one asap. Its basically non impact running.

An elliptical trainer or cross-trainer (also called an X-trainer) is a stationary exercise machine used to simulate stair climbing, walking, or running without causing excessive pressure to the joints, hence decreasing the risk of impact injuries. For this reason, people with some injuries can use an elliptical to stay fit, as the low impact affects them little. Elliptical trainers offer a non-impact cardiovascular workout that can vary from light to high intensity based on the speed of the exercise and the resistance preference set by the user.

Elliptical trainers first entered the market in the 1990s, invented by Precor Incorporated.

Most elliptical trainers work the user's upper and lower body (although some models do not have moving upper body components). Though elliptical trainers are considered to be minimal-impact, they are an example of a weight-bearing form of exercise.[2] They can be self-powered by user-generated motion or need to be plugged in for adjustment of motion and/or for supplying their electronic consoles and resistance systems.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options

In my experience shin splints go away with continued use of said shins.

Agree!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Chi Running and proper shoes. Made all the difference in the world with being able to run or not.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I have them too. I started a Couch to 5k program and don't notice them as much.

ETA: There's unfortunately not really a quicker way to lose weight. But also adding strength training will help.
  • jmerseal1
    Options
    Those are the devil! I avoid running after a T-12 compression fracture and a compound ankle fracture within the last two years, I have been advised that running just isn't good for my body, so I use the elliptical. I LOVE it. There is no impact and you get the same results as running. For me, I get better results since if I do try to run it only lasts a short time due to pain. I can go an hour or longer on any given day on the elliptical. I suggest giving that a try.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Holy bad advice batman. Do not try to "run through" shin splints. Contrary to popular belief, running is not necessary for weight loss, nor is it even the most efficient way for burning calories.

There are stretches for those experiencing shin splints. Rest from running and look into other means of exercise--bike, elliptical, yoga, strength training, swimming, rowing, (literally anything) besides running.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any kind of active warm-up or just diving straight into running?
  • MathanMor
    MathanMor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I changed my shoes and running style and it didn't help, what helped was continually running. I started out with a 30 second jog 90 second walk and continued increasing the run time and decreasing the walk time by 30 seconds every 2 weeks; jogging every other day. It strengthened my Tibialis anterior, the muscles around your shin; like any muscle, they need to be strengthened. And now I don't suffer from shin splints.
  • Mr_Steve_V
    Options
    When I started running, I was overweight, didnt work out, and didnt buy new shoes, but Im sure that can help. Do a simple exercise. You can do this while watching TV, working at your desk.

while you are sitting, hold your foot out, rotate it in circles, point your toes straight forward, and back Do this a few times a day a couple minutes at time, and in a few days your shins should not be hurting.
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I too get shin splints if I do too much too fast. You have to let them heal and then progress your running very slowly (volume wise), ease off each time they flare up. Over time, your body will adapt to this new exercise.

Any cardio is great, and cross training is even better so you aren't as prone to injuries but you MUST do strength training. Muscle has a higher metabolic rate and a good sesh will keep your metabolism elevated many hours afterwards compared to cardio. In addition, you'll lose inches, even if the scale isn't moving. I've been about the same weight for the last 10 years but look a lot fitter and slimmer when doing strength training. You might also want to look into Tabata/HIIT/interval training - you are strengthening but keeping the heart rate elevated for short bursts which also gives a great burn (literally!!).
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Does flexing your toes up to your shins hurt? If that's the sort of shin splints you have, you'll probably have good luck with stretching the shins after your run, and pay attention to form. You don't want to pull your toes up to your shins while you're running. Concentrate on relaxing your ankle more while you run, and see if that helps any. You might need to go slow while you adjust your form.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of other things you could do. How about biking? Swimming?
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Increasing activity, intensity, and duration too quickly leads to shin splints because the tendons and muscles are unable to absorb the impact of the shock force as they become fatigued; also, the tibia becomes fatigued and stressed. The overall result is micro trauma to the muscles & fascia (connective tissue)

1) You can build up your cardio respiratory efficiency on a bike or elliptical.
    2) You need to rest the legs now until the pain heals - do not run thru shin splints! I've seen cracking injuries (of friends) due to this.
    3) I know you bought new running shoes, but if your running gait wasn't analysed by either a sport shop expert to video analysis, they're probably not the right kind. The best way to find out your type needed is to have a look at gait analysis.
    4) When you restart - start slow... like REALLY slow & build up your time. A C25K programme may be too much if you're prone to shin splints - so the times may not work for you. The suggestion above of running 30 secs & walking 90 secs is pretty good - for a 10/15/20/25/30 min period (increasing the time overall as well as time run/walking). Only increasing when you can do these easily & without pain - 2 weeks is so good indicator but it may vary for your individual needs.
    5) Compression hose & ice afterwards is always good practice - the compression assists blood supply & ice reduces inflammation.
    6) Only run on alternate days. Give the legs a rest.
    7) If you can start on a treadmill - most are sprung & absorb impact, roads invariably don't! Indoor gym running track is also good or astro turf etc.
    8) Watch your form and heel striking. Debate exists as to whether POSE is good for preventing lower limb injuries but I just find it too difficult but you do need to concentrate on your heel strike (try to avoid total heel down first and land midsole of you can - this spreads the impact across your centre of gravity instead of just up your leg).

Having run 4 marathons I can honestly say, I've had more than my fair share of shin splints. But with the right attention to detail you can overcome them.
    Good luck!
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I've gotten shin splints every time I run for the last 10 years - tried different shoes, tried k tape - compared running various surfaces, etc etc and have come to the conclusion that the elipitcal is my friend and I'm just gonna have to stick with that.