Setting goal to 1200 to give myself some wiggle room?

Options
So I've set my daily target to 1200 calories but my BMR is 1360, (I'm 5'3" and 138 lbs) Is it a good idea to do this so that if I do go over it doesn't totally sabotauge my day, or if I record innacurately it gives me some wiggle room. I've read the most common mistake is underestimating your calories eaten, so I'm kinda building that into my diet plan.

Anyone else try this method to help with accountability when you have a busy lifestyle (college student/ part time job). Anyone thing this will work? Or should I just set out to eat more...

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think setting your calorie goal for less than you would need lying around in a coma is going to work for an active college student. Calculate your TDEE, then subtract 15-20% in order to get your daily calorie goal.

Tons of helpful information can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Eating below your BMR is a bad idea.
    I also don't see the point in setting a goal at all if you're already anticipating going over and needing "wiggle room."
    Why not just put it at an appropriate amount based on your TDEE and eat at or under your goal?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale and weigh your food. You won't need wiggle room for anything. That margin of error will be significantly reduced. And I agree that you shouldn't set it lower than your BMR.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think setting your calorie goal for less than you would need lying around in a coma is going to work for an active college student. Calculate your TDEE, then subtract 15-20% in order to get your daily calorie goal.

Tons of helpful information can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This x1,000! You are not eating enough if you are logging accurately & only taking in 1,200cal (or even at your BMR).
  • embachner
    embachner Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice guys, I think I'll bring her up then haha!
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale and weigh your food. You won't need wiggle room for anything. That margin of error will be significantly reduced. And I agree that you shouldn't set it lower than your BMR.

agreed. You are not far from your goal and without weighing it would be difficult to get there while eyeballing stuff.
  • embachner
    embachner Posts: 14
    Options
    What kind of food scales do you guys use? links?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest and say I get it! I got used to doing it this way through Weight Watchers. I'm not sure if this works the same way now but when I was a member back in 2010, this is basically how they set it up. The daily points goal they gave you was a bit low but then you got weekly "flex" points to use for splurges, and like MFP, you could earn extra points through exercise. It helped me to stay on track most of the time knowing I could have one or two splurges during the week and not worry about it affecting my progress.

In fact, last July I decided to set my daily calorie goal to my weight goal BMR which is only about 50 calories below my current BMR. And when I exercise, I eat back earned calories. That still gives me enough of a deficit so that I can lose fairly consistently at a rate of about 1 pound per month which includes skipped days for not logging vacations or going over on a night out with friends/Hubby.

I will caution though, I agree that 1200 might be a bit too low - maybe 1300 as it's not too far under your BMR. Or calculate your BMR at goal weight. Do not try to come in under that goal and try to log as consistently and accurately as you can. And if you exercise, eat back at least half of the earned calories. You don't want your actual intake to be too low or it can be harmful to your health and weight loss progress.

Good luck!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    What kind of food scales do you guys use?

Dunno what brands you have in US, but most digital scales will be accurate to within 1 gram. Get one that has a 'tare' function, and one that can measure in grams and ounces. You probably don't need to spend more than US$25 to get something decent.
  • beccamorty
    beccamorty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have done that in the past and if it works for you then go for it, and if it doesn't, don't! It can help if you don't have the money to invest in a food scale or the time to weight out every single thing (or the patience!!!!). I always measure my food, which I know is not the most accurate, and set my daily limits slightly lower than my needs so I can have that wiggle room.
    I also think it helps me become a good judge depending on if I lose or gain, because even if I started off using a scale I could never sustain it. It's more trial-and-error, but it works for me.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    What kind of food scales do you guys use? links?

I bought mine (Taylor brand) at Target. There's cheaper ones on Amazon though that will do just fine.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Got mine at goodwill :-)
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For inaccuracy wiggle room, I mostly just try not to eat back my exercise calories ( unless I get I a really hard workout burning 400-500).
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    My toddler "shares" several bites of anything I eat... He's my built-in wiggle room. LOL
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I want "wiggle room" I set my calories at maintenance! :bigsmile:

But TDEE minus a percentage has been my best move. Knowing your high and low numbers and eating in between gives great freedom in this whole process, at least for me.

Great info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to go under your BMR, ever. Bad, bad, bad idea. Find your TDEE, and eat 10-20% fewer calories than that.
  • Carolyn321SD
    Carolyn321SD Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find keeping an eye on the weekly report helps me.

If I have a day, or several, that I over eat I can see what my week and average look like easily.

If I know that I'll be doing a lot of exercise at the end of the week, I don't worry about it. If not, I can calculate my net overage and average out the difference to do a gradual reduction over the remaining days.

Mainly though, I try to keep in mind that progress is progress. So while I have mine set for a 1 pound loss per week, if I over eat by ~1700 calories for the week I should still be down a half pound.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would love to know what I need to be at but I haven't the slightest clue what NMR and TDEE are...I know MFP set my reccoemnded caloric intake at around 3300 and I know that is inane...