medication and bedtime snacking

Options
I take medication at night that makes me feel sick if I have an empty stomach overnight. I try to take it with dinner and then go to sleep before I get hungry again, but quite often I end up having an empty stomach by bedtime and so feel sick to the point of not being able to sleep. Eating something helps with this, but light, healthy options like fruit leave me waking up half way through the night feeling sick. I just wondered if anyone had any good ideas for a bedtime snack that isn't too calorific or unhealthy but is reasonably filling so I don't wake up in the night. I would be really grateful for any ideas and also any tips if anyone has a similar problem.

Replies

• SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something that "sticks" to you such as oatmeal? Or something high in protein? Or maybe eat your dinner right before bed. Good luck!
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You could try like the above with some oatmeal which I do find keeps me full and tends to be low cal.
    Or some of my other favorite snacks that keep me full have been:

Whole grain bread with a little natural PB
    Hard boiled egg whites
    Almonds
    Cottage cheese with fresh fruit
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    VaingloriousVictoria Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree with the two comments above. Choose something higher in protein. (nuts, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, oatmeal, peanut butter, protein shakes, etc.)
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I know it's not full of protein, but at night a good old bowl of dry cheerios to munch on using hands/not a spoon is low in calories and fills me up...I eat it slowly too - I find that things that take a little longer to eat go down better to fill the night craving. Sometimes I throw a few chocolate covered raisins in there to satisfy the sweet, too (like 4, not a handful). Also, this won't give you the indigestion the other items might. If I drank a smoothie before bed I wouldn't be able to lay down, but that's me.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have to take a medication at bedtime that needs to be taken with food. I usually have a yogurt, a 100 calorie granola bar, or a banana, and I always make sure to leave the calories in my day for that snack.
  • susylou123
    susylou123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice, really helpful :). I would definitely try most of those (apart from maybe the shakes because like rachel, liquids and lying down never work for me). I hadn't thought of oatmeal so I will definitely try that as its definitely filling without using a lot of cals.