NON GLUTEN AND DAIRY EATERS - How do you do it!?

Options
So I started a no gluten/dairy cleanse yesterday. I never realized how much gluten and dairy I actually ate! I was STARVING! How do you guys do it? I had a boiled egg and an apple for breakfast, salad with chicken for lunch, and another egg with turkey bacon and an apple for dinner (lots of protein, I know...) After my workout, I would usually have a little carbs and protein but found that the only thing I could make at 10:45pm thats socially acceptable was a bag of gluten free veggie chips. You can imagine that brought my fat count way up, haha.

So what am I doing wrong? I still went to bed hungry (and I was under my calorie goal of 1,200) but I don't really know what else there is for me to eat. I had loads of veggies, loads of protein, maybe not enough carbs but still good... I know I'm doing it wrong but do you guys have any tips for me? I really want to stick with this so any help would be great :)

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why are you cleansing? There's not much of a reason to. Gluten and dairy aren't bad for you unless you have an allergy or Celiac's disease.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to eliminate those items. If you do not have a medical condition, that is what you are doing wrong.
  • xmarykaterose
    xmarykaterose Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 100% sure I have an allergy to both... I have virtually all the symptoms and the second I eliminate gluten and dairy, those symptoms just disappear...
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Look up the Paleo diet... It's gluten and dairy free!

I happened to just be reading up on it right now.

I wouldnt even call it a diet. More like a lifestyle change which seems to be what you are looking for!

Good luck!
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had a boiled egg and an apple for breakfast, salad with chicken for lunch, and another egg with turkey bacon and an apple for dinner (lots of protein, I know...) [. . .] You can imagine that brought my fat count way up, haha.

So what am I doing wrong? I still went to bed hungry (and I was under my calorie goal of 1,200) but I don't really know what else there is for me to eat. I had loads of veggies, loads of protein, maybe not enough carbs but still good...

You ate two eggs, a little turkey bacon, two apples and a salad with chicken (how much chicken?). That isn't loads of veggies or loads of protein, especially if you were under 1,200 calories.

You can eat meat, fish, and fowl, and they don't have to be skinless/lean/low-fat. There are all sorts of veggies out there besides salad greens. Use a moderate amount of full-fat salad dressing, put olive oil on your non-salad veggies; you need the fat to help absorb the vitamins from the veggies. Baked potatoes or sweet potatoes are great if you want carbs. Nuts and seeds are good. There are other fruits out there besides apples...

Don't stress over the fat, your body needs fat and it will help you feel satisfied. If you're eating at a deficit, you need adequate protein as well to spare muscle.
  • xzy1000
    xzy1000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you are finding it difficult you could take one out at a time. Wouldn't that make it easier to find out as if you still get symtoms it could be only one that is causing them. I have a dairy and yeast allergy. It is difficult at first but soon becomes a way of life. I can have soya products. You could try that. I have that in coffee. I don't have yogurts or cheese. Or sometimes buy the soya yogurts but they are not so cheap. You need lots of green veg to make up the vits lost. Or take a supplement . Fish such as sardines / salmon are good. Not so sure about the gluten sorry.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You were probably hungry from eating under 1,200 calories. You need to eat more. You could add more carbs (baked potato, rice).

My diary is open if you want to take a peak.

Bfast:
    2 scrambled eggs with spinach and cheese, 2 bacon, green tea
    Lunch:
    Grilled chicken breast salad with egg, cheese and Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (is gluten free), water/soda
    Dinner:
    Chicken/fish, baked potato/white rice, cucumbers, water/soda

Snack:
    Corn chips (naturally gluten free), hard candy
  • slawjman
    slawjman Posts: 1
    Options
    I found it difficult at first too.. I cut out gluten and dairy for intolerances as well.. I found a great smoothies that I have at breakfast.. using a gluten free/dairy free protein powder, and rice milk (I also can't tolerate soy) frozen fruit and half a banana and 2 tbsp of ground flax seed. Delicious and filling. I've added a lot of veggies into my diet and afternoon snack is usually raw veggies with hummus. Brown rice is filling and baked potatoes are great sides. The more you explore the more things you will find. There are a lot of recipe books that are Paleo or Gluten- Free, and it opens up a lot of options, and don't be afraid to try new foods..
  • CarrieMac28
    CarrieMac28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    check out balancedbites.com. It's the website from the author of the cookbook Practical Paleo, and has some good recipes on there. I'm never hungry on paleo, and her recipes are yummy!
  • xmarykaterose
    Options
    You ate two eggs, a little turkey bacon, two apples and a salad with chicken (how much chicken?). That isn't loads of veggies or loads of protein, especially if you were under 1,200 calories.

You can eat meat, fish, and fowl, and they don't have to be skinless/lean/low-fat. There are all sorts of veggies out there besides salad greens. Use a moderate amount of full-fat salad dressing, put olive oil on your non-salad veggies; you need the fat to help absorb the vitamins from the veggies. Baked potatoes or sweet potatoes are great if you want carbs. Nuts and seeds are good. There are other fruits out there besides apples...

Don't stress over the fat, your body needs fat and it will help you feel satisfied. If you're eating at a deficit, you need adequate protein as well to spare muscle.

Lots of chicken haha. Trust me, I ate a lot more than I normally do (atleast I thought I did) and I get full really easily. The thing is, it would keep me satisfied for maybe 30 minutes, and then I'd be hungry again. I ate lots of vegetables that I didn't mention (grilled asparagus, avocado, etc,) but I probably just have to get used to this new change... thanks :)
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables and add in things like oats, quinoa, and rice. Nuts, seeds, avocados. :)
  • xmarykaterose
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice :)
  • SoSheDid_
    SoSheDid_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes some getting used to, but after being gluten and dairy free for a couple months, I can say it gets easier! It helps that I was gluten free for a year before going dairy free as well, so the change was much more gradual, but the first few weeks of dairy free was still brutal. Much harder for me than going gluten free. It's definitely worth it for me though, and the cravings went away after about 2 weeks.

I eat a lot of chicken and fish, with some lean red meat thrown in every once in a while. Right now, I'm trying to increase the amount and variety of veggies I eat. I never have a problem eating enough fruit. I also love the Kind bars (almond and coconut, yum!) for a snack, and that's good for adding calories and good fats. Nut butters are great for that as well, and go great on apple slices. Brown rice and sweet potatoes are my source of good carbs a lot of the time, and I genuinely enjoy eating them now (never thought I'd like to eat brown rice!) It will take a few weeks, but after a while it will become second nature to eat like this. Get a good paleo cookbook and experiment! Good luck :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables and add in things like oats, quinoa, and rice. Nuts, seeds, avocados. :)

Good ideas. Just because you're gluten free doesn't mean you can't have carbs and fat.
  • lecarlis
    lecarlis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing completely no carb except fruit, not just no dairy or gluten. That's probably why you're starving. Eat some whole grains. They don't all have gluten. Brown rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat. oatmeal. Also sweet potatoes are awesome.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    What are your symptoms? I have a dairy allergy (I get confirmation from an allergist in late march). And allergies are different from intolerances. I have to avoid pretty much anything with milk products in it. So that means no cheese/ yogurt/ pretty much anything prepackaged/ even bread crumbs have milk product in it. With that said I still eat gluten, but there are lots of gluten free products out there. They sell gluten free breads and cookies and bars and a whole bunch of stuff. My best advice would be start cooking your own food a lot more and you should be ok.