Appetite Suppressants? (Don't flip out)

Options
I know diet pills don't work! I know that I need to eat enough to maintain my metabolism, if I want to lose weight! I know that most of you here are probably not fans of any kind of pills or supplements for weight loss!

The thing is, I weigh nearly 300 lbs, I've been used to eating A LOT for a long time. I DO NOT plan on starving myself. It would just be... SO great, if I had to push myself to eat, instead of pushing myself to not eat.

I caught the common cold a few weeks back, it absolutely killed my appetite and I remember having to force myself to maintain my food intake. The whole time I was sick, I was thinking "This is great! I eat just as much as I have to, and am not plagued with constant hunger and cravings!" Food hardly crossed my mind while I was sick, over 3 weeks I lost almost 10 lbs and dropped a pants size.

I try protein, I try fiber, etc. but those things do not give an effect anything like what I felt when I was ill. I don't need an energy booster or a fat burning pill. I simply want to not want food all the time, it would make eating properly so easy. Can anybody recommend a supplement that really KILLS appetite?

I've heard a lot about Garcinia Cambogia, any ideas or experience with this supplement?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Just log your food and hold yourself accountable.

Rigger
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    The problem with apatite suppressants is you become acclimated to them and they no longer work. If you open your diary people key be able to suggest things to help you stay satisfied without the pills.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Is it really hunger?

How many calories are you eating a day? How much protien? what about fats?
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just log your food and hold yourself accountable.

Rigger

^ this
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Is it really hunger?

How many calories are you eating a day? How much protien? what about fats?

Fats could be the key
  • lauriebeakley1
    Options
    Stop looking for an easy way out & hold your self accountable like Rigger said. It's something we all have to do here. I'm not trying to be mean, just brutally honest. You are setting yourself up for eating disorders & serious damage to your body the way you want to do this. The right way will take longer but the pay off is worth it.
  • SpyridonGR
    Options
    Opened my diary to the public. I'm open to suggestions.

But I'd really love to just never be hungry. When I had a cold, I could have my favorite food steaming in my face and just think "Eh, I'll pass, not in the mood."
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Well I have seen MANY on here that use Slim Fast, Herbalife, Atkins and many others... so hunt around for those titles in the posts (if they don't come to you) I will be honest using anything but self-control, exercising and counting all your foods/drinks won't in my opinion (yep tried most all of them) work... but only you can decide which road to take.
  • lmckillo
    lmckillo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Exersice is a great appitite suppressant. Start small go for walks. If your out walking your not aroung food. YOur doing the right thing by opening up your diary for all to see. Another thing I have found is drinking a liter of water prior to eating my dinner. Fills me up and I find I eat less.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options

But I'd really love to just never be hungry. When I had a cold, I could have my favorite food steaming in my face and just think "Eh, I'll pass, not in the mood."
    Your fats are extremely low the rule of thumb is .35g per lb of body weight. Fats help keep you satisfied.

As far as you being sick and not wanting to eat, I bet that has a lot to doo with your nose not working right. Smell is a huge part of hunger signals. Try to keep food smells to a minimum unless it is time to eat.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Do you feel that way about your sex-drive too? What about life ambitions?
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Im doing Atkins... and it has been a game changer for me. I was always having intense urges to eat... but doing Atkins I rarely have them. I came to find out that many people are carbohydrate resistant ... meaning that their body just doesn't process carbs well... and stores them as fat almost immediately- which in turn makes you crave more. But since I am limiting carbs and eating high fat and protein, I am very satisfied each meal, and rarely have those urges to eat when I know I cant really be hungry. Give it a shot. The first week requires some self control... after that it gets easy. Years ago I took Phentermine ( a prescription appetite suppressant) and it worked well- and I find Atkins works equally as well- without the side effects or the cost of the prescription.
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think you need to stop eating fake, diet food. You have plenty of calories to eat real bread once a day. For me small, protein filled snacks between meals help me feel full, and drinking lots of water. I gotta say all these snow days make me sit around and think about food all day, so in guess keeping busy helps.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

well I took a look and some days you have very low calories...like 1700....most days protien are under 100g and fats are below 60.

Think about this..I am a 42 year old woman...and I eat on average 1700 a day, 120g of protien and lots of fats.

No wonder you are hungry....get at least 150g of protien a day, eat more fats (use olive oil to cook with) and eat more food.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My MIL swears by psyllum husks to lose/maintain weight. One level tablespoon in 200ml of water once a day. Makes you feel full as they soak up the water and expand. Basically it is just pure fibre so good for cleaning out your insides too.

I've not tried it yet but am planning on doing so today as I am always hungry no matter how often I eat during the day or how much protein or fat I eat.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hold yourself accountable for everything you put in your mouth. It'll go away after you tell yourself that it's not hunger, you're bored or you just want something. You can read this too! hope it helps :Dhttp://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    My MIL swears by psyllum husks to lose/maintain weight. One level tablespoon in 200ml of water once a day. Makes you feel full as they soak up the water and expand. Basically it is just pure fibre so good for cleaning out your insides too.

I've not tried it yet but am planning on doing so today as I am always hungry no matter how often I eat during the day or how much protein or fat I eat.

again is it really hunger??? or are you just not satiated...

My son had a good supper and said to me this evening...I'm hungry...right after he was done..

I asked him are you really hungry or just not "full"...he said "not full"

to me that means you are not satisfied with the feeling you have in your belly...protien and fats do that.

people get used to feeling "full" instead of just "satisfied", they get used to starches filling a void to make them full...when in fact they had enough food...just didn't "feel" full.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't flip out, because I totally understand how you feel. Well, not totally, but I used to eat a lot, and I never had to worry about my weight. Now, I gain weight, but my stomach still hasn't caught up to the idea that I don't need as much food anymore. I have been trying to make sure I get plenty of protein and fiber, but I still often have to get a snack or two in the middle of the night. I can't sleep if I'm hungry.
    I am so frustrated, and I have considered appetite suppressants. Unfortunately, the only ones I really know of are stimulants and that's the last thing I need.

So, basically, that's a lot of commiseration with no real solution. (sorry.)
  • nicolescallion
    nicolescallion Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been told apple cider vinagar works:)
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Speaking from MY EXPERIENCE ONLY! (NO ONE YELL AT ME!) I stay away from "diet" foods like the "SmartOnes" you are having for breakfast.... make yourself some real eggs - I really think whatever chemicals and sweeteners and whatever they add/take out really does you no good and does nothing to satisfy your hunger.

You probably need more good fat - some avocado, almonds etc - keeps you full longer

And sure you know the difference between hungry and bored.

When I get confused about hunger/boredom - I make myself a glass of green tea - sip it, and try to occupy myself with something....if i end up not being hungry...then I know I was bored - if my stomach is still screaming - ill grab a piece of fruit, almonds, or somethign with a little protein.

FINALLY - my mom says that as soon as I say the word "diet" I start obsessing about food and what i CANT have which makes me crave it more.... maybe thats the case with food for you? I have to remind myself that I don't really need the super awesome yummy trader joes mac and cheese right now and its not going anywhere.....I can have it for a scheduled cheat meal if I really still want it that badly.