I honestly can't stop bingeing on junk after school, help

Options

Replies

• Superlicious96
    Options
    You could just throw out the junk food. How many times would you have to do that before your parents got the hint and quit wasting money on stuff you throw out?

I tried to throw it out once but I felt really guilty even though I probably shouldn't. Instead, I've been giving it to my friends, siblings and parents once their junk food stashes have run out since I tend to have tons of unopened junk lying around everywhere these days.
  • detroit_tighthead
    Options
    A lot of good advice here. The only thing I can add is to go out and buy healthy things you like to eat. You ditched the bad stuff - Good for you! Now replace it with good stuff.
    Now add in stuff that you can binge on more safely. Low fat cottage cheese, and sugar free applesauce is one of my favorites. Also things that you have to cook are good, especially frozen stuff (and I am not talking about a large pizza!). Get things you really like to eat, but will take a little time. The ideas is to go with quality rather than quantify.
    Last question is - What are you doing while you are gorging? I used to sit down and watch TV. Good shows, but it was a bad habit for me, because I always ate while I watched. So I quit watching TV in the evening unless I am doing something that will keep me active (and away from the food) and it has really helped
  • sunnykay2014
    sunnykay2014 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing when I get home from work. I'm not really hungry but its just been a bad habit. Lately since I joined MFP I've been logging everything I eat. It helps me keep track of my eating and minimize my intake.
  • Superlicious96
    Options
    A lot of good advice here. The only thing I can add is to go out and buy healthy things you like to eat. You ditched the bad stuff - Good for you! Now replace it with good stuff.
    Now add in stuff that you can binge on more safely. Low fat cottage cheese, and sugar free applesauce is one of my favorites. Also things that you have to cook are good, especially frozen stuff (and I am not talking about a large pizza!). Get things you really like to eat, but will take a little time. The ideas is to go with quality rather than quantify.
    Last question is - What are you doing while you are gorging? I used to sit down and watch TV. Good shows, but it was a bad habit for me, because I always ate while I watched. So I quit watching TV in the evening unless I am doing something that will keep me active (and away from the food) and it has really helped

I suppose I do have a lot of good foods in the house at the moment like apples, bananas, grapes, nuts etc so I could always have a health food binge after school, that way I'd be able to eat a lot, I'd end up eating my 5 a day and getting all my nutrients, and the whole 'binge' if you'd even call it that would consequently only total to approximately 300kcal-ish, which isn't much at all. To answer your last question, when I'm eating junk, I don't really watch tv as I find I can't concentrate on the show and eat at the same time, I'm usually reading the news or some novel because I don't have to pay as much attention and can eat simultaneously.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's all willpower honey. You either want it or you don't. Right now, it sounds like you just don't want it bad enough.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! I have been there before. I could probably write a hilariously long novel about my crazy snacking hi-jinks in the middle of the night. This is what I have done to help me...

1. I don't buy bad food. (It's really hard for me. For example, I thought I had self control and bought a box of Thin Mints. WRONG! I ate a whole box in two days!) If it's not around, I can't eat it.

2. Surround myself with high protein, low carb options. (Nuts, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, cheese sticks, etc.) The protein will take longer to process and keep you fuller, longer.

3. MEASURE everything! Even though I feel like I've become a pro at measuring, my eyes often think things are smaller than they really are.

4. Avoid sugary drinks and alcohols. Drinking water, lower calorie juice, and Crystal Light are good options. Instead of sugary mixed drinks, try wine (if you are old enough to drink).

The problem I'm having currently is with number 1 because I don't get much of a say in the food, my parents do and they insist on buying me ridiculous amounts of junk food when I beg them not to every week. I've told them repeatedly to stop buying me giant chocolate cakes and cookies everyday as I can't resist them, they promise they won't, only to buy me it the next day as a 'surprise'! I literally go to the grocery store with them each week and they'll say the cookies are for my brother only to put them in my bedroom drawer lol. THAT'S the food I end up bingeing on. I suppose I have no excuse though, I think I just need to have more motivation to not touch it even if it's there tempting me.

Maybe tomorrow will be different hopefully, as I did throw out the box of junk I've been eating from for the past 2 weeks!

Your parents need therapy and parenting classes.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I suppose I do have a lot of good foods in the house at the moment like apples, bananas, grapes, nuts etc so I could always have a health food binge after school, that way I'd be able to eat a lot, I'd end up eating my 5 a day and getting all my nutrients, and the whole 'binge' if you'd even call it that would consequently only total to approximately 300kcal-ish, which isn't much at all. To answer your last question, when I'm eating junk, I don't really watch tv as I find I can't concentrate on the show and eat at the same time, I'm usually reading the news or some novel because I don't have to pay as much attention and can eat simultaneously.

Don't read until after dinner then?
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Instead of throwing out the junk, just have some willpower. Set a calorie goal and STICK TO IT. I try to make mine like a game, see what foods I can eat and hit my macros. I just tell myself "if i have that pizza.. i can only have one slice.. ORRR I can have that chicken breast, and a baked potato..." I opt for the more food. You just have to hold yourself accountable for every thing you put in your mouth... Try reading this too and good luck! :Dhttp://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html
  • rosasharon
    rosasharon Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hello!

the field of behavioural training has made clear that changing behaviour is HARD - and the best/easiest way to make a long-lasting change is to replace one habit with another. that's why some smokers are successful after replacing cigarettes with chewing gum, for example. willpower is actually a very weak force, compared to our habits that are engraved on our brain neurons.

that's also why the poster upthread said that changing her entry method into her house helped her break the afterschool bingse - she replaced the habit of "front door -> kitchen -> food" to "back door -> bedroom -> M.A.S.H.

so let's brainstorm what we can replace this bad habit with...and also figure out how to handle your parents.

S
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Well, if you "honestly can't stop" you will continue to gain weight and undermine your health, simple as that. Ther is no point in sugarcoating... nobody is going to put a muzzle on you when you get home and protect you from yopurself. If you don't have the willpower to buckle down and do the right thing, nobody can do it for you. People will say this is harsh, but " oh poor baby I know how hard it is we've all been there" will accomplish nothing. You may need therapy to deal with underlining issues, but bottom line, it's up to you, cupcake, good luck.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well, if you "honestly can't stop" you will continue to gain weight and undermine your health, simple as that. Ther is no point in sugarcoating... nobody is going to put a muzzle on you when you get home and protect you from yopurself. If you don't have the willpower to buckle down and do the right thing, nobody can do it for you. People will say this is harsh, but " oh poor baby I know how hard it is we've all been there" will accomplish nothing. You may need therapy to deal with underlining issues, but bottom line, it's up to you, cupcake, good luck.

^^
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    As for your parents... make sure they see you smash the cake (etc.) and throw it in the trash. That may get the idea through their heads. Right now they are in control, since you don't seem able to control yourself. Change that. Taking your frustration out on that cake will feel so much better than eating it would. Throw out the junk, have some backbone, and make your point clear.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS did after school. The problem is all the stress you have to deal with all day. You get home and just want comfort. Best idea is to hurry up and sneak a workout in for that hour when you get home from school instead of eating. Then eat after. Any money, because you worked out you won't want to ruin the progress by pigging out. Good luck! :D
  • Superlicious96
    Options
    hello!

the field of behavioural training has made clear that changing behaviour is HARD - and the best/easiest way to make a long-lasting change is to replace one habit with another. that's why some smokers are successful after replacing cigarettes with chewing gum, for example. willpower is actually a very weak force, compared to our habits that are engraved on our brain neurons.

that's also why the poster upthread said that changing her entry method into her house helped her break the afterschool bingse - she replaced the habit of "front door -> kitchen -> food" to "back door -> bedroom -> M.A.S.H.

so let's brainstorm what we can replace this bad habit with...and also figure out how to handle your parents.

S

Hmm... I DID actually manage to break my binge cycle before, my willpower was so high, and it worked for a few months, I basically came home and ate grapes with nuts instead, until I started going OTT with the nuts and had to cut them out as they started to taste so good. I think I'll try that again though as in coming home, eating maybe an apple and a banana or maybe a 70kcal ice pop if I'm craving sugar, then working out or something, I'll try and get out of the house more as well after school so I won't be near any of my triggers. In the mean time, since telling my parents I want to be healthy isn't exactly working well with them, I'll just say I don't want my teeth getting cavities so I can't eat junk. Maybe this way will work.
  • Superlicious96
    Options

No it isn't even harsh, I agree with you completely. If I had the willpower I used to have, I'd resist the urges like I once did, but I don't any more. I think I'll just wait until these birthday commitments blow over which is a few days anyway. I'll give most of the chocolate cake away too, then I can go shopping for healthy foods after and won't have to worry so much about eating cake, dealing with junk food presents or going to fast food restaurants for pre-booked birthday reservations! I'll just enjoy it seeing as it comes once a year then start next week the right way as I have no excuse not to then. :)
  • Superlicious96
    Options
    I ALWAYS did after school. The problem is all the stress you have to deal with all day. You get home and just want comfort. Best idea is to hurry up and sneak a workout in for that hour when you get home from school instead of eating. Then eat after. Any money, because you worked out you won't want to ruin the progress by pigging out. Good luck! :D

Definitely. It's weird because if I'm angry or upset the last thing I think about is junk food because it makes me feel happy and I don't want to feel happy at that precise moment. I see junk as comfort when I get home though, I actually look forward to it in the last hour of school thinking 'not long now before I get to eat chocolate, ice cream, cake, candy etc' and just the thought gets me happier, I guess it's time to find other things to look forward to now!
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to have that after work, I would come home and be ravenous! I find that If I snack on something with protein like a piece of cheese or nuts, it helps keep the binging at bay. For me, I can't ever let myself reach that insanely hungry point. Small snacks help me eat small meals, all of which keeps my hunger level steady.
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh and lots of water when you get home.
  • titus21114
    titus21114 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! I have been there before. I could probably write a hilariously long novel about my crazy snacking hi-jinks in the middle of the night. This is what I have done to help me...

1. I don't buy bad food. (It's really hard for me. For example, I thought I had self control and bought a box of Thin Mints. WRONG! I ate a whole box in two days!) If it's not around, I can't eat it.

2. Surround myself with high protein, low carb options. (Nuts, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, cheese sticks, etc.) The protein will take longer to process and keep you fuller, longer.

3. MEASURE everything! Even though I feel like I've become a pro at measuring, my eyes often think things are smaller than they really are.

4. Avoid sugary drinks and alcohols. Drinking water, lower calorie juice, and Crystal Light are good options. Instead of sugary mixed drinks, try wine (if you are old enough to drink).

The problem I'm having currently is with number 1 because I don't get much of a say in the food, my parents do and they insist on buying me ridiculous amounts of junk food when I beg them not to every week. I've told them repeatedly to stop buying me giant chocolate cakes and cookies everyday as I can't resist them, they promise they won't, only to buy me it the next day as a 'surprise'! I literally go to the grocery store with them each week and they'll say the cookies are for my brother only to put them in my bedroom drawer lol. THAT'S the food I end up bingeing on. I suppose I have no excuse though, I think I just need to have more motivation to not touch it even if it's there tempting me.

Are you serious? Why are your parents encouraging your failure? I've noticed when friends do that to me it's because they are jealous haters. Stay strong. And as my friend Scott says "Girl, do what I do. Just spray some Windex on it. Then you won't eat it"

Haha yes it really sucks! I don't think they understand how important it is to me, and since I loved junk as a kid, they think I still do when I don't really! I love the idea of spraying something onto the food, I'll do that next time once I get some junk in my possession.

Since you are using myfitmesspal I am assuming you want to lose the weight but you never will be able to unless you really really want to. Its all in your mind. Junk food is ALWAYS going to be around and you have to have the will power to say no thank you and step away. I workout in the mornings before work because then when I have the opportunity to eat something bad I choose not to because I don't want to waste all my hard work I did that morning. So for me it is simply just getting angry and saying I will not have to lose the weight i've already lost again by gaining it back after all my hard work.

Just get mad and say no!!!!!

As for your parents if you stop eating it they will stop wasting their money. Not a fan of the whole spraying something on it as there are lots of hungry people in this world.
  • titus21114
    titus21114 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Definitely. It's weird because if I'm angry or upset the last thing I think about is junk food because it makes me feel happy and I don't want to feel happy at that precise moment. I see junk as comfort when I get home though, I actually look forward to it in the last hour of school thinking 'not long now before I get to eat chocolate, ice cream, cake, candy etc' and just the thought gets me happier, I guess it's time to find other things to look forward to now!

Yes!! Maybe you could make working out your new thing to relieve stress and look forward to that after school!!! Because junk food is a temporary fix and ultimately isn't a fix at all because you are then upset about not losing and binging.