Appetite Suppressants? (Don't flip out)

Options

Replies

• juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been told apple cider vinagar works:)

I take ACV tablets because they help lots of different things like stomach issues and energy level. Maybe this is how I've been dealing with cutting out gluten!
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    PS - a little positivity goes a long way. Your profile is full of negative things about yourself - who's going to believe in you if you don't?
  • juliacatherine1
    Options
    Speaking from MY EXPERIENCE ONLY! (NO ONE YELL AT ME!) I stay away from "diet" foods like the "SmartOnes" you are having for breakfast.... make yourself some real eggs - I really think whatever chemicals and sweeteners and whatever they add/take out really does you no good and does nothing to satisfy your hunger.

You probably need more good fat - some avocado, almonds etc - keeps you full longer

And sure you know the difference between hungry and bored.

When I get confused about hunger/boredom - I make myself a glass of green tea - sip it, and try to occupy myself with something....if i end up not being hungry...then I know I was bored - if my stomach is still screaming - ill grab a piece of fruit, almonds, or somethign with a little protein.

FINALLY - my mom says that as soon as I say the word "diet" I start obsessing about food and what i CANT have which makes me crave it more.... maybe thats the case with food for you? I have to remind myself that I don't really need the super awesome yummy trader joes mac and cheese right now and its not going anywhere.....I can have it for a scheduled cheat meal if I really still want it that badly.

I couldn't agree more on the diets foods. I feel like they have more calories and make me feel hungry! Cooking your own food helps too I think. I personally love some small corn tortillas, black beans and eggs in the morning with a glob of sour cream. I make my own breakfast tacos! Add low calorie veggies too!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I looked at a couple of days in your diary - you eat a tonne of carbs and almost NO protein - very little fats too...
    Eat more protein and good fats (not pizza) and cut down on the carbs - I will eat all day long if I have to eat so much carbs....
  • SpyridonGR
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the replies and the advice.

The main suggestions I get from friends and family are generally about homemade foods or recipes that I should try. Things like "Cook this" "Make that" it always involves preparing something by cooking or cutting or washing.

I have a couple of challenges with proper dieting in that: #1 I'm always very busy and I'm very bad with time management. It's a fact, I should work on it, but I only have time(lol) to work on one major lifestyle problem at a time and my health is the most pressing problem. #2 I don't have a kitchen or a sink in my apartment.

I live on instant foods, I need foods that don't spoil quickly, that I can grab and go with, that don't require much time to eat. I have found that fruits and veggies can be great solutions for me! They're always ready to be eaten, and I can stick to tough produce that doesn't spoil quick. However, for most of my main entrees, I can't seem to get around frozen meals. Any suggestions, bearing all of this in mind? Maybe this should be a new topic. :P
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I tried the Garcinia Cambogia. I don't think it helped me at all. I stopped using it and have been losing more without it. I think you have to get a mental picture of what you want and surround yourself with healthy people. When I go to restaurants or think of just throwing in the towel and getting a pizza or something, I think about how great it feels to lose weight, all the compliments and the fact that I can now shop at any clothing store for the first time since middle school. I think about all the healthy people at the gym and who I ride my bike with and take Zumba with and the fact that they're not eating all the crap I'm used to eating, and that does wonders for my hunger. It's a mind game of sorts. There's no easy way. Eat things though that make you feel fuller, like nuts and some carbs and do your research on natural ways to feel fuller longer. Protein can also make you feel more satisfied. Experiment until you find what works. Your stomach will shrink soon and you just won't feel so hungry. You may not achieve the lack of hunger you did when you were sick, but you should feel less need to eat as you go along. Also, make each meal satisfying and that will help. And if you're really craving something, find a healthy alternative. I love fries. I make my own. I love bread. I found healthy breads I can have in moderation. It can be done. You just have to find what works for you. I do not recommend pills though. There's no easy way. You're in this to change forever, and a gimmick like a pill won't work in the long term. Good luck!
  • Burstingintolife
    Burstingintolife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Pertaining to your "second topic" :) ... I'd say that sounds a lot more like a logistical problem than anything. You can control portions, drink plenty of water, eat accessible fruits/veggies and get by... but, ultimately, I'd recommend figuring out a solution to your "no kitchen/sink" issue, so that you are able to explore with cooking and create your own nutrient-rich foods.

Go to good will, buy some sort of piece of furniture that you can create a "makeshift kitchen" with. Supply it with just a few dishes/cups/silverware, a pot, a pan. You can purchase a single, portable stove burner for $11.99 through Target. (http://www.target.com/p/elite-cuisine-single-coil-burner-rectangle/-/A-655386#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=coil burner) You can also purchase other cooking items like a small crock pot, also $11.99 (http://www.target.com/p/crock-pot-slow-cooker-2-qt/-/A-13388362#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=small crock pot)... sandwich maker, $14.19 (http://www.target.com/p/proctor-silex-sandwich-maker-white/-/A-12768032#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=sandwich maker) or a griddle, $24.49 (http://www.target.com/p/presto-little-griddle-mini-griddle/-/A-595682#prodSlot=medium_1_8&term=griddle). Personally, I LOVE my griddle. I use it for omelets, stir fry, grilled sandwiches. It's kinda just all around awesome for me.

Obviously, these are just suggestions to help with your problem, only you know what could work best... and I swear, I don't work for or have stock in Target. hahaha. They just had the lowest price portable burner I could find in my quick search. ;)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Opened my diary to the public. I'm open to suggestions.

But I'd really love to just never be hungry. When I had a cold, I could have my favorite food steaming in my face and just think "Eh, I'll pass, not in the mood."

That would be awesome.

However, do not fool yourself into thinking you are the only one who struggles with this. Fit people have to exercise moderation and restraint, too, it's not like it stops being hard once you get to goal weight. Some days I obsess over food incessantly and jut want to eat all the things. But it's called being an adult and putting what we want long-term in front if what we want short-term.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I know diet pills don't work! I know that I need to eat enough to maintain my metabolism, if I want to lose weight! I know that most of you here are probably not fans of any kind of pills or supplements for weight loss!

The thing is, I weigh nearly 300 lbs, I've been used to eating A LOT for a long time. I DO NOT plan on starving myself. It would just be... SO great, if I had to push myself to eat, instead of pushing myself to not eat.

I caught the common cold a few weeks back, it absolutely killed my appetite and I remember having to force myself to maintain my food intake. The whole time I was sick, I was thinking "This is great! I eat just as much as I have to, and am not plagued with constant hunger and cravings!" Food hardly crossed my mind while I was sick, over 3 weeks I lost almost 10 lbs and dropped a pants size.

I try protein, I try fiber, etc. but those things do not give an effect anything like what I felt when I was ill. I don't need an energy booster or a fat burning pill. I simply want to not want food all the time, it would make eating properly so easy. Can anybody recommend a supplement that really KILLS appetite?

I've heard a lot about Garcinia Cambogia, any ideas or experience with this supplement?

Change your macro (carbs, proteins and fats) intake and consume more nutrient dense foods. Increase your calories also since 1700 is too low. You'll figure this out. It's not difficult but it is not that easy either.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - if you go into custom setting you can change your protein/fat/carb percentages, i wold suggest a split of 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats…

For some reason, I could not view your diary but others mentioned you are eating about 1700 calories a day …why don't you bump this up to say 2000 and see how things go? If you are 300# then you should keep losing on 2000 and it should help you feel not as hungry all the time….
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Have you been working on the diet for long? If you've just restarted (I see you've been on here since 2012), you may find that after a couple weeks the excessive hunger will diminish significantly.

I agree with others who have said eating more protein and, particularly, more fat, will help. I choose to eat full-fat Greek yogurt rather than the reduced fat kind, since it keeps me from being hungry for much longer-- even if I eat half as much.

I desperately sought appetite suppressants the first couple weeks I was working on eating less, and bought Garcinia. It is quite useless-- no desirable effects and no noticeable side effects either. The best appetite suppressant I've found is coffee. I can replace breakfast with a large cup of coffee (with some sugar and cream) and be fine until lunch if I sip at it frequently. I pay for that later in the day, when I have a caffeine crash made worse by not eating enough, though.

Green or black tea also help, but you have to drink a lot of them for the caffeine's appetite-suppressing effects to be felt.

Do you take multivitamins? Sometimes I think that cravings-- and overeating, for that matter-- are partially due to a need for nutrients that is not being met by a person's normal diet. They might help.
  • seattlemama0429
    seattlemama0429 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Opened my diary to the public. I'm open to suggestions.

But I'd really love to just never be hungry. When I had a cold, I could have my favorite food steaming in my face and just think "Eh, I'll pass, not in the mood."

That would be awesome.

However, do not fool yourself into thinking you are the only one who struggles with this. Fit people have to exercise moderation and restraint, too, it's not like it stops being hard once you get to goal weight. Some days I obsess over food incessantly and jut want to eat all the things. But it's called being an adult and putting what we want long-term in front if what we want short-term.

Totes. "It's a lifestyle" and it can super suck. "Maintenance," which for me means fluctuating most of the time, is the hardest and most crazy-making of all things.

In addition to the good advice regarding fats and ratios, there are two new FDA approved diet pills, one containing phentermine and topamax (please read about topamax short-term memory loss) and the other, Belviq, that works with a pretty piece of serotonin receptor believe responsible for "good food" feelings and satiency.

http://www.belviq.com/

Neither are miracles of course :)

Buproprion (Wellbutrin) can also be prescribed for weight loss (and smoking cessation - those happy SSR's!) - it's not a new drug and well studied, so a wealth of info in teh interwebz.

If you're considering throwing money at supplements, consider checking your insurance coverage & what your co-pay would be for something more... regulated. And happy :)

Everything you put in your body has side-effects (for me that includes doughnuts omg #neverthesame) Consider cost/benefit of all of them carefully. Sometimes "herbs" are expensive and placebo (or caffeine) at best, and sometimes Topamax makes you forget where you are. So, think about it.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice here, I'm also in the you need more protein and fats to feel more satisfied. Your diary is gone again so it's hard to be accurate
    Psyllium husks were mentioned (it can be found as a cheap bulk broduct or an expensive name brand fiber supplement or even generic pills) I found that really helped me at the beginning and my wife found the same, as time went on we used it less but it definitely helps build a full feeling, Drink lots of water with it and it expands a couple of the generic pills before every meal would make a difference
    Meth will work (been there as a teen) but it has other issues :grumble::laugh:
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Needs vs wants. Sometimes you have to deny yourself the thing you want in the moment to get the thing you need in the long term...your health.

This is the key to getting other things in life too, not just sticking to your diet. We waste time doing things we want to, and then run out of time to do the things we need to do. We waste money on things we want instead of saving up for the things we need.

Also, you won't die from a hunger pain. They pass. Much of the time when you think you're hungry, you're either bored or just want to taste something. Chewing gum works for me.
  • juliacatherine1
    Options
    Pertaining to your second post. I have been in your situation! I wanted to go back to school and that meant I had to live with family. Well I was only allowed to use the micro if I wasn't going to eat what everyone else had for dinner, which was horribly unhealthy!! And I was hungry ALL THE TIME!! I couldn't lose even counting every calorie. Even though I paid rent, my electric usage was scrutinized. So i couldnt have anything in my room. I really feel like this type of living is very unhealthy and it caused me to gain back 40 of the 60lbs i had lost previously- and kept off for years, by simply eating healthy and cooking healthy! I have tried really hard to get out of that situation and now here I am trying to lose 40lbs so i can be healthy again, but I have my own kitchen and I am very excited for the possibilities!
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    how do you see other people's diaries?
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    how do you see other people's diaries?

If they have them set to open you can look
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    where though? on their profile?
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big eater. I eat a lot of protein and fat, because I'm diabetic, and it seems to help. I also eat frequently, like every 2-3 hours. The only diet drug that I know for sure that would kill your appetite has been made illegal because people were dropping dead on it.
  • catherinemaxwell566
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the replies and the advice.

The main suggestions I get from friends and family are generally about homemade foods or recipes that I should try. Things like "Cook this" "Make that" it always involves preparing something by cooking or cutting or washing.

I have a couple of challenges with proper dieting in that: #1 I'm always very busy and I'm very bad with time management. It's a fact, I should work on it, but I only have time(lol) to work on one major lifestyle problem at a time and my health is the most pressing problem. #2 I don't have a kitchen or a sink in my apartment.

I live on instant foods, I need foods that don't spoil quickly, that I can grab and go with, that don't require much time to eat. I have found that fruits and veggies can be great solutions for me! They're always ready to be eaten, and I can stick to tough produce that doesn't spoil quick. However, for most of my main entrees, I can't seem to get around frozen meals. Any suggestions, bearing all of this in mind? Maybe this should be a new topic. :P

Buy a big pack of frozen chicken breasts, u only have to defrost them in fridge the night before and that way you know nothing artificial is going into ur meat. lean turkey mince can be frozen too and defrosted in same way... just get lots of freezable unprocessed meat and also a few vegetarian mains