Don't seem to be losing any weight. In fact gaining weight.

Options
The title says it all. I've been eating clean, and excising three times for about three weeks now. At first I lost about five lbs, but now I'm adding the weight back. I've been eating about the same things every week. Lean protein source, Low glycemic carbs, fruit, nuts, and only drink water. I do strength training for roughly one hour M,W,F, and 20 minutes of cardio afterwards. I'm a student so life is pretty sedentary other than that. I would say I'm adding muscle but one does not gain a few lbs of muscle within the first couple of weeks do they? It's my dream to see a number below 200 Lbs again.

Replies

• tdotdiva
    tdotdiva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert so please, take this only as suggestion. Perhaps you are losing fat and gaining muscle? Are you tracking inches lost too? Have you noticed a difference in the way your clothes fit? I am very sensitive to the scale also so I feel your frustration but I have heard many times that muscle weighs more than fat and that the scale doesn't know your body composition.

Keep your head up either way : )
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat and logging everything accurately?
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are not eating ENOUGH calories. Your body may be keeping all that it can . How many calories are you having in a day?????
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat and logging everything accurately?
    ^This.

If you're gaining weight, you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ibboone
    ibboone Posts: 10
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You are not eating enough calories. I have to eat 2200 calories just to hit my BMR and my TDEE is 3200. I have my calorie intake set at 2600 and I'm loosing 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week. Set MFP up to loose only 1 pound a week. I had my set at 2 pounds a week and my calories were below my BMR.
  • giblerj27
    giblerj27 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. Yes I have in fact accurately tracked my calories. I have used measuring cups, and everything. I have noticed my clothes fit better, and I don't feel bloated either. I should start measuring my waste to see if in fact I am losing inches. However the number on the scale seems to be going up. I will try eating more and see if anything improves. I feel like I'm eating a ton as it is. Lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - do you own a food scale? I see a lot of measurements based on cups, half cup, etc…A food scale is going to be more accurate than measuring cups..

It looks like you are eating about 1500 to 1700 a day …if you weight 200# then you should be losing…
    ETA - how long have you been on this program for?
  • giblerj27
    Options
    No I don't have a food scale, but I've been wanting one. I've been eating clean, and exercising for about three weeks now. I think I might be adding muscle, but adding a couple Lbs of muscle in just three weeks seems unrealistic. I don't know.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If I read your report right, you've been doing this for 3 weeks, lost 5 pounds quickly, and are now gaining some back.

My thoughts are this is too soon to be changing anything up. 5 pounds of true fat loss is (5) x 3500 calorie deficit. That quick 5 pound loss was probably 4pounds water weight loss, and now maybe your are retaining some water. Keep up what you are doing, and see where the next 3 - 4 weeks take you.
  • giblerj27
    Options
    Yeah I probably should have factored in the fluctuation of water weight. I will keep doing what I'm doing for a couple of more weeks. I also started eating more calories as well so my body wouldn't go into starvation mode. I still might be eating too much less as well. Anyways I suppose it's common to over think everything when you first start off.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    No I don't have a food scale, but I've been wanting one. I've been eating clean, and exercising for about three weeks now. I think I might be adding muscle, but adding a couple Lbs of muscle in just three weeks seems unrealistic. I don't know.

Adding muscle on a deficit is not what's happening. Adding muscle requires an energy surplus.

Is there any chance you're eating more than you think? Could there be bites you're "forgetting" because you don't know how to record it? Is there any cooking oil you may be forgetting to add? Perhaps you just need to be more patient. Body weight can fluctuate 7 pounds in one day (water weight and food/waste). Watch your weight over time while eating at this level and see what happens.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Seriously.

Here's why:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY