Protein shakes and weightloss??

Options
I purchased Muscle Milk Lean protein powder. It says for weight loss to use 1 scoop with 6-8oz liquid. I have been doing this after a workout or for breakfast if I'm not really hungry. I started reading that a protein shake after working out will make you gain weight. Is this true? I'm trying to help my weight loss, not sabotage it. When should I drink a protein shake or should I at all?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • mauridaher
    mauridaher Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    People like to be condescending around here sometimes, it makes them feel like they're smarter. So I'm not gonna do that.

Protein shake is just food. It is used to meet your body's daily protein requirements, when food doesn't do the job, for example. One serving is higher in protein than most foods. Also, it fills you up like a regular meal.

To lose weight, you need to reduce the amount of calories you eat per day. Use this calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

It will show you how many calories you need to take to maintain your current weight, and how many you need to take to lose weight. The latter is the number you should use as your daily goal.

In my opinion, whey protein is not essential, it is expensive, and it certainly doesn't taste nearly as good as actual food. But if you like it, need it, and it fits into your daily goal, then use it :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I wasn't being condescending at all. Is protein keeping her from losing weight? King Trog says no.
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use the same powder, twice a day and im losing. Its just a foodlike anything else...after a workout, it helps rebuild muscle.
  • rjmelton
    rjmelton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Depending on your macro goals it could be a blessing. I aim for 50% protein 20% carbs when. I'm trying to lose weight at a quicker pace. So it helps me reach my macro goals while staying under calorie goal.

My favorite times are breakfast as an MRP and after heavy lifting workouts to ease soreness (even if just as placebo it seems to work).

Use it for three weeks or so and see how it helps or hurts YOUR journey as we are all different.