When will I get my first...

Options
When will I get my first "wow, you've lost weight" I started at 333, about two weeks ago. I weighed in this morning at 319. I feel much better, much healthier and my mind is much more clear after starting this diet. I am exercising more, but really this is more of a diet than it is a workout regimen (I work a lot). Since I do work a lot, my co workers and I would order out almost every day. Mickey d's. 3 or 4 cheap sandwiches, large drinks, fries. Large meat lovers pizzas, wings, you name it! Daily! One HUGE meal a day for most of us, and also mostly soda or sweet tea. This is a lifestyle change for me. That stuff got expensive, and I was dragging through my days. Now I am caffeine free (all water) and have started dieting, adding fruits and veggies, small portions when it isn't exactly a healthy food. I need some tips, tricks, quick snack ideas, recipes etc;. When I cook it is just for my wife and I. This is my story. I am hoping for my first "Wow, You've lost weight" soon. That would be even more motivation.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Ethan,

Welcome! Congratulations for starting a a lifestyle change and for losing the weight you have.

Everybody's experience is different when it comes to when other notice. I've lost 39 pounds and people compliment me a lot. I think people started noticing on me after I'd lost about 20 pounds, but I'm pretty small too. It all depends.

Just keep doing what you're doing and allow yourself to see the change in you each little step of the way. You can do this!
  • cazattack2
    cazattack2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! It seems like you're doing great so far!

I have one small tip- PROTEIN. try to get 30% of your days intake in protein. If i have to order at mcD's or other fast food, i'll eat a burger without a bun (or with a lettuce wrap) or get a grilled chicken sandwich and also remove the bun. Fruit and yogurt parfaits are so yummy, too. sweet potato fries instead of regular.

I also carry around small portions of almonds, blueberries and beef jerky (protein!) to snack on. and drink lots of water.

Make sure to incorporate exercise, even walking, if possible.

My 2 favorite make at home meals/recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/spaghetti-squash-carbonara-recipe2.html
    www.food.com/recipe/hgs-kickin-chicken-pot-pie-ww-points-4-337754 (I add extra chicken for extra protein)
  • ethan_f163
    Options
    Definitely want to try the pot pie recipe. That is less calories than I assumed! What about for quick lunches at work. I work anywhere from 9a-9p. so i usually consume 3/4 to all of my daily food at work.
  • mrsBrown1989
    Options
    When I lost 45 lbs (was 175)My family all said "oh are you okay you lost some weight" haha.
  • ethan_f163
    Options
    I'm hoping to hit 20 lbs in about 2 weeks, then I know I will plateau, but slowly lose weight.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    congrats Ethan...you're on your way and have a really fantastic attitude! With that, some patience, and some humor...you are going to do awesomely. I bet that first will happen fairly soon...!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started, sounds like you've taken some good first steps. Definitely good to cut out all the processed fast foods, they may taste good, but they aren't the best 'bang for your buck' when watching calorie intake. You can get a lot MORE food for less 'calorie cost'. And, like you said, eating lunch out gets expensive. You can easily spend $10 at lunch EVERY DAY! But I NEVER eat $10 worth of home prepared food for lunch!
    As for when people will notice, I'd say it's different for everyone. But, I believe that the more you have to lose, the longer it may take to notice. I mean, a 400 lb person can lose 50lbs and it may not be super noticeable. But if a 200lb person loses that same 50, you'd see the difference! For me (I was close to 250), it wasn't until I lost about 30-35lbs before people starting noticing. So-- hang in there-- it will happen... may just take another 20lbs or so!
    As for food... definitely cruise these forums (or the internet in general) for easy ideas to pack for lunch. Look at laptop lunches website- lots and lots of great pics. Try grilling chicken breasts on the weekend, make 6 or 7 - then pack one away for lunch, along with a handful of salad greens (buy the bagged kind of it's easier). Bam! Easy lunch! Wraps using low cal tortillas ( I use La tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Wraps - 50 cals each for small, 80 for large-- instead of 150-200!) throw that same chicken, some greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, low cal dressing... you have a yummy 'sandwich'. Greek Yogurt is a great source of protein, and the Dannon Light n Fit Greek are just 80 cals!
    Good luck on your journey-- just hang in there! It may be slow-- but it's sooo worth it!