Who Said Bananas Are Not Good For You?

Options
13»

Replies

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard anyone say a banana was bad until I joined MFP. Totally weird to me.

Me either. I've always heard that bananas were really good for you - until I joined MFP. :noway:
  • craftywitch_63
    Options
    Only ads on the internet say they're bad..........lol

Actually, there was a thread on here a few weeks back about those ads. Even though they feature bananas, bananas are not mentioned as any of the "5 Foods Never to Eat" (the ad is actually to my right as I type this but it's not a banana, it's a carrot!)
  • craftywitch_63
    Options
    How can someone not like bananas? That's like not liking Christmas or Matt Damon movies.

Team America was his best! :laugh:

axyHTy2.gif
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I like frozen bananas in my smoothies (especially with chocolate protein powder - yum!)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Who said it? Who, you ask? Why, this banner ad that flashed up as I was reading this very thread!

Who are you gonna believe: a "dietician" with "credentials" and "evidence"? Or a flashy ad with a sad cartoony banana? Wake up sheeple!

3MNxd5B.gif?1

:drinker: :heart: :drinker:
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love me some bananas....literally just finished my bedtime snack banana. I just make sure I have room for them in my caloric day! I don't care if it's fruits & veg or take out food - I try to keep to my daily goal.

I couldn't imagine not having bananas in my life!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I like bananas.

I certainly don't think they are bad for you - but on the other hand I dont think they are some sort of super wonder food either.
  • xoxMelissa
    Options
    Bananas are also supposed to be loaded with potassium.

But I like bananas, anyway.

Yep they are - I've been on 'Penecillin VK' for ten days due to tonsillitis & haven't been able to eat any bananas cause I would've had too much potassium.
    I love bananas, can't wait to have them again!
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There will be at least one person who demonises every single food - nothing wrong with a banana fgs
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana daily! I lost 60 lbs as well but I will add to the list that it helps with a headache too
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's not that they are bad, it's the people claiming that a good diet is to ONLY eat bananas for 30 days or some thing like that.

Moderation.

Yep, I agree with this 100%!!!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that bananas have too much sugar and they should be considered a cheat snack.
    >:I

My favorite way to eat bananas is frozen and pureed in a food processor. Ice cream!!
    Good toppings are berries, peanut butter, chocolate chips~
  • Thisiswhatido
    Options
    Banana's are not bad per se. The fructose in them is bad if you have fructose malabsorption or intolerance. I had 100g of banana yesterday and noticed symptoms within 2-3 hours.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000359.htm
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There was someone at a recent race who suggested that no one should eat bananas. I looked at the person, then went up to the person who was manning the booth (a nutritionist) and she and I both concluded this person was guilty of being a tool.

Obviously people with food issues may have reasons not to eat them, but otherwise, why would you not want to eat one after a run or tough workout. They are filling, delicious, provide energy and are a source for potassium. All in 100 calories.

Sometimes people don't read enough. But sometimes they read too much.

Same with the person who suggested that icing was bad for you. SMH.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    That whole Evil Sugar thing is crazy. It's sugar that added to food that's "evil" (is any food actually evil?..), like breakfast cereals loaded with sugar and weird colors and talking characters, or packaged Twinkies or whatever. Sugar in fruit is precisely where it's supposed to be, for crying out loud. Can't wait for the new food labels in the US to emphasize ADDED SUGAR.

Oh, and I'm not a real fan of bananas. They're OK, but I'm super-fussy about the precise amount of ripeness, and find them a bit too sweet for my taste, so just have half at a time.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    useful tips on storing bananas.

http://www.chiquitabananas.com/Banana-Information/selecting-handling-ripening-bananas.aspx

i don't like mine to get over-ripe (too sweet) and since i usually buy 6-8 at a time, this causes me a problem leaving them on the counter. therefore, when they are all at the ripeness i prefer, i put them in the fridge where they will stay at that ripeness for a few days until i've eaten them all.

When mine get to this stage I take the peel off and put them in a zip lock in the freezer. Then I use them in smoothies, break 'em up with fingers and toss in the blender.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Why would I want to keep my blood sugar levels up?

Why did they crash in the first place?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like bananas, but I want to point out that the OP states that Bananas have vitamin B12 under the "smoking" section, which is incorrect.

Which I'm only pointing out because B12 is only found in meats and nutritional yeast unless it's a processed food that has been fortified. It's challenging to get enough B12 if you're a vegetarian or vegan.
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm bananas about bananas. I love banana everything. Banana pie, banana pudding, even banana baby food!! :smile:
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I became allergic to bananas in my late teens, so they are actually bad for me. I miss them. Smoothies just aren't the same.