Protein Question

Options
Is going over on your protein daily allowance a horrible thing? I don't always go over and when I do it's not by much but if I do, is it bad? I am staying under on calories those days that I do go over on protein. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think that protein is a good thing.. so as long as your are under for calorie goal i don't see the harm... protein in what helps with muscle repair and such as you loose the weight...
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein WAY too low. I go over by quite a lot everyday, I use MFP's max on the chart as a minimum when I track, and always try to be over, but that's me. If you are exercising you need a lot of protein to help repair and build muscle tissue. If anything try to stay below in cals, carbs or sugars, they matter a lot more for weight loss.
  • Mrbackslap
    Options
    Imo its a bad thing if your not working out enough to use that extra protein.
  • SophieJade
    Options
    I just started, so I only have a few days under my belt. However, I go over each day with protein even though I am uder in calories, carbs, and fat. I have already lost a little weight, so it doesn't seem to be bad.
  • amy0776
    Options
    MFP sets protein WAY too low. I go over by quite a lot everyday, I use MFP's max on the chart as a minimum when I track, and always try to be over, but that's me. If you are exercising you need a lot of protein to help repair and build muscle tissue. If anything try to stay below in cals, carbs or sugars, they matter a lot more for weight loss.

My doctor agrees with you - he says I need at least 70g of protein per day, and not to go over 80g. (I think everybody's different, though). I had to go in and customize my goals to reflect his specifications, and I always get a little warning disclaimer from MFP. lol....
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have my carb/protein/fat set at 40/30/30. I came across a Jillian Michaels Oxidizer Test and it said I was a 'balanced oxidizer'. The questions were pretty generic but it at least gave me a starting point.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Check the link in my signature. That should give you all the info you need.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options

Best idea. EVER.

haha.
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do exercise everyday so I figured that too much protein by MFP's standards wouldn't be a terrible thing. I'm going to checkout that link. Thanks!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

Best idea. EVER.

haha.

Just spreading the word. :)
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ive read what you eat on your blog and its a very healthy protein intake.

I copied the below from this site.
    http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Side_Effects_of_Too_Much_Protein_in_the_Diet

The whole page is a good read

Most health experts say we need between 0.8 and 1 gram of protein per kilogram of weight a day (about 7 grams per 20 pounds. So a person who weighs 150 pounds would need around 52 grams a day.

Potential Side Effects of Too Much Protein in the Diet

So what happens when your diet goes far beyond the recommended level of protein, as you might do if following a high protein diet? One of the main concerns has to do with the stress put on the kidneys.

It is important for people on high protein diets to exercise, because it can help the kidneys flush wastes out of your system more effectively. Make sure you talk to your doctor before beginning a high protein diet, if you have ever experienced kidney problems.

Another issue regarding getting too much protein is leeching of calcium from the bones. The acids released by the body as it digests protein are absorbed with the help of calcium. So if you aren't getting enough calcium, your body will take calcium from your bones. The Nurses Healthy Study even showed that women who ate more than 95 grams of protein were more likely to have broken their wrist than were women who ate less protein.

There is also some evidence that eating a lot of protein can induce or aggravate allergies.

While it's a popular belief that eating too much protein causes cardiovascular disease, new research shows that a high protein diet that emphasizes vegetable sources of protein is protective to the heart. It is, though, important that you watch fat intake, because many cuts of meat are very fatty.

Research has also shown the side effects of too much protein in the diet do not include an increased risk of diabetes or cancer.

I
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Ive read what you eat on your blog and its a very healthy protein intake.

I copied the below from this site.
    http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Side_Effects_of_Too_Much_Protein_in_the_Diet

The whole page is a good read

Most health experts say we need between 0.8 and 1 gram of protein per kilogram of weight a day (about 7 grams per 20 pounds. So a person who weighs 150 pounds would need around 52 grams a day.

Potential Side Effects of Too Much Protein in the Diet

So what happens when your diet goes far beyond the recommended level of protein, as you might do if following a high protein diet? One of the main concerns has to do with the stress put on the kidneys.

It is important for people on high protein diets to exercise, because it can help the kidneys flush wastes out of your system more effectively. Make sure you talk to your doctor before beginning a high protein diet, if you have ever experienced kidney problems.

Another issue regarding getting too much protein is leeching of calcium from the bones. The acids released by the body as it digests protein are absorbed with the help of calcium. So if you aren't getting enough calcium, your body will take calcium from your bones. The Nurses Healthy Study even showed that women who ate more than 95 grams of protein were more likely to have broken their wrist than were women who ate less protein.

There is also some evidence that eating a lot of protein can induce or aggravate allergies.

While it's a popular belief that eating too much protein causes cardiovascular disease, new research shows that a high protein diet that emphasizes vegetable sources of protein is protective to the heart. It is, though, important that you watch fat intake, because many cuts of meat are very fatty.

Research has also shown the side effects of too much protein in the diet do not include an increased risk of diabetes or cancer.

I

It should be noted that most of these side effects happen when people are taking in WAY to much protein, for WAY to long of a time. Increased protein intake, in itself is not the risk. It is the amount of time one continues the increased intake.