Did this work for anyone?

Options
So everyone is really into all this clean eating lately. Not bashing it, I have an insane amount of respect for your ability to commit to that. I, however, can't. Vegetables make me gag. It's a texture thing. I can manage carrots if they are cooked to smush and I put A1 on them, but that it's besides green beans and corn. Have any of you had great success by simply eating the recommended number of calories without ditching pizza and dessert? I've lost 2 jeans sizes in the last year, but I seem to be stuck in the last few months. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the only thing absolutely "required" for weight loss.
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am the same I have a bit of a food phobia and don't eat vegetables at all (or beans/cheese/pasta). To be fair its easier to list the foods I can eat. So far I have managed to lose as long as I am in a defecit - probably not the healthiest eater but the weight is coming off.
  • Legalpadgurl
    Options
    Yes. If you harshly restrict your diet then you'll miss and crave all those good-tasting foods that you should not have on a regular. I am a frozen pizza, pizzeria, DIY pizza addict. However, I limit myself to a slice or two a month and I've steadily continued to lose weight. The vegetables are tough. My only veggies were corn, potatoes and carrots. However, I committed myself to trying at least 2-3 veggies per month. I learned how to prepare them in a way that I could tolerate. So, whether its mashed, grilled, broiled, roasted or steamed I have a few veggies I've come to love. I also found mixing veggies with something else that has a texture I can tolerate works. For example, instead of pizza on dough I make "pizza" on egg plant slices. Brussel sprouts roasted in a bit of vinegar or olive oil -- yum. Peppers grilled. Yum. Good luck!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    <
    Lost 20 of my 30 lbs by eating all the foods that made me fat, just less of it.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    So your saying: I eat 1000 calories a day it doesn't matter as long as I do not go over?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 40lbs eating all the foodz and drinking....:drinker: all the rum/vodka...

My diary is open for those who wish to confirm this.
    So your saying: I eat 1000 calories a day it doesn't matter as long as I do not go over?

Actually you could eat even more and still lose weight. I eat on average 1700 calories a day.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    <
    Lost 20 of my 30 lbs by eating all the foods that made me fat, just less of it.

Exactly the same but lost 42lbs total so far and I train every morning.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned from others, it all boils down to calories in vs calories out. Now you can eat a lot more food typically by eating "clean" foods and they have better nutritional value with micronutrients (vitamins and such), so I typically follow a 80/20 protocol. Try to eat "cleaner" if you want to call it that 80% of the time and 20% of the time eating whatever I want as long as it stays within my caloric goal for the day (or week as some do). Love pizza, so just about every weekend (or every other), I eat pizza and eat chocolate just about every night before bed. Flexible dieting.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is food for overall health, not a vital thing in weight [fat] loss. If you're borderline diabetic, have hypertension, high cholesterol, and a few other ailments exacerbated by certain foods and substances clean eating will help.

What you're experiencing is a weight loss plateau which everyone will experience during extended periods of dieting, your body adapts to the low calorie dieting and expends less energy.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    All about moderation. I do eat pretty healthy but not clean. I still enjoy pizza, breads, pasta, tacos.....and lost 60 lbs
  • lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yep. All 37 pounds I've lost is simply calorie restriction. I eat whatever I want, just in moderation, and I budget the calorie allowance for them. Pizza, desserts, McDonalds, Chick Fil-A, chips & queso.. You name it. I just keep it under 1200 calories per day and if I go over, I exercise a little more to help account for it.

I really think that's the key to my success. I don't feel like I'm being deprived of anything. Would I still like to eat more of whatever I'm eating? Most of the time, yes. But I still get to eat the things I crave, so it's easier to stick with it long-term.
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm not a veggie fan either! I've lost 60 pounds so far (40 to go), and I probably eat pizza 2-3 times a week. I've found that it's easier to stick to my calories when I'm eating what I like, instead of cutting out certain foods.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you shouldnt be starving yourself on 1000 calories a day....
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Your answer isn't relevant to the question they were asking.
  • luvcookies2014
    luvcookies2014 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not a total clean eater..and I'm still losing. I do try to eat healthier (thankfully I do like veggies). So while I still might have chocolate chip muffins for breakfast, I have 1/2 of one (usually just the top) rather than the 2 I used to eat, and I will add something healthy to it, like a couple clementines.

I do have high cholesterol, so it's important for me to eat healthier or "clean' but realistically I cannot give up all sugars, carbs, etc.

Ideally, I would be better off giving up all the junk stuff, but for me I just can't do it.
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I was beginign to feel hopeless about the clean eating. I don't necessarily eat bad foods, but not whole grain and all that stuff. So this is really what I needed to read today since I will be starting over next Monday (hopefully if my x-rays come back clear and the DR gives me the go ahead -Pneumonia) Thanks for all the input and the hope that at a simple deficit, I can lose some weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Your answer isn't relevant to the question they were asking.

i was answering the question i quoted...
  • Trixsterfan
    Trixsterfan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You are what you eat, wear a calorie counter,eat pizza but less calorie value than you burn off, you`ll loose weight. Don`t forget a healthy mixed diet makes you feel great.:smile:
  • Jsphine
    Jsphine Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat pizza and all the good comfort food (in the right portions, of course) all the time and still manage to lose weight, you'd have to increase the workout by hours.... most people can't afford that much time (2-3 hours) every day, but some can and some do. Otherwise, you just need to play with the numbers; calorie consumed - calorie burned.. I don't think anyone should give up anything completely; have a cheat meal once in a while, just watch your portions when you do have it and enjoy!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!